Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The New Costume Vs. The Trunks

Don't get me wrong: I love the new costume. I think it is waaaayyyyy better than the New52 horrible armor-thing... nonetheless I think it's pretty obvious that the trunks break the all-too-blue in a way that is the pure definition of the Superman's costume. Take a look by yourself.
    See the difference and let the community know your opinion on the subject. Pictures taken from WW Annual 1

1NT.jpg
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 06-03-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Spectacular Member

I prefer the new one. I'm glad the classic still existed for a time in continuity, but I never cared for the trunks themselves. Color wise, the current suit looks perfectly fine to me.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 06-03-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Spectacular Member

Have you watched the difference picture by picture?

I'm not specifically referring to anyone's preference. I'm just interested in the objective point of view. So, what do you think? Doesn't the blue need a break a little more "solid" than a simple red belt and a yellow badge?

I think they could draw the belt a little bit thicker, but it breaks up the blue well enough.

Its hard getting past a tradition that has been standing for the better part of a century, but the trunks are not the only viable design tool out there. This belt works, it's got nice clean lines, it fits the sensibilities seen elsewhere in the costume (such as the boots), and if we're being honest, its something Clark should have started wearing somewhere in the 90's when everyone else started getting rid of their trunks. Nostalgia is the only reason Superman held onto his red underwear as long as he did, and this new suit feels like a natural evolution of his look.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    Have you watched the difference picture by picture?

I'm not specifically referring to anyone's preference. I'm just interested in the objective point of view. So, what do you think? Doesn't the blue need a break a little more "solid" than a simple red belt and a yellow badge?
    No, the blue does not need a break. It's not tired yet.

The new costume looks just fine, the old costume had a break just for the sake of having a break.

Current one is perfect, it looks modern and stylish. However, I am glad that Superman wearing the old costume is still part of the continuity.

To me, as long as the blue is dark enough, I can live without the red trunks.
    If they go too light/pale a shade of blue, then I'd agree the red of the trunks are needed for the contrast.
    Batman, on the other hand, could DESPERATELY use black briefs to break up that dull gray outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To me, as long as the blue is dark enough, I can live without the red trunks.
    If they go too light/pale a shade of blue, then I'd agree the red of the trunks are needed for the contrast.
    Batman, on the other hand, could DESPERATELY use black briefs to break up that dull gray outfit.
    Yeah, this is more-or-less my feeling. When the blue is dark, it's not bad. But I have to be honest, nothing yet beats the classic suit. I personally don't see it so much as nostalgia as it just being a more defining look for the character. The new suit looks good, but in my mind it's like this:

The new suit looks good!*
    *=(But the classic still looks the best)
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Eh, I like the new one just as much as the old one. I'm glad the classic suit is back in continuity and that the Jim Lee one is now no longer being used, but the new one should have been something he put on when he returned from the dead in 1993 frankly. That was the perfect opportunity to modify his costume IMO.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Not going to lie anything but the trunks will always feel like an elseworlds or alternate costume and never the "real" costume. Now I'm happy the trunks version is at least in canon again and out of all the attempts to get rid of the trunks his Reborn costume is definitely the best.

Retired

It's more that I like the yellow belt with the oval buckle and the belt loops. The trunks allow that to happen, but if there's another way to get the old belt and the loops, then I can live without the trunks. I like a belt that's actually functional as a belt (it holds up his trunks or his pants). The red could just be decorative elements on his pants like the movie costume embellishments in MAN OF STEEL or the TV red piping in SUPERGIRL.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

After six years, the classic costume is no longer the "real" costume to me. But I find it neat that it's been added back into the character's history, because he wore it during his finest hours.

The new suit isn't bad, but bland. Literally just a different belt and no trunks. Like it's overcompensating for the stylistic tweaks of the last few costumes. We're probably lucky that we didn't get a '90s version, though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am pleasantly surprised that the classic suit is back in his past, but I think his new suit is a near perfect update.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The new costume is honestly perfect to me. It's what I think the new 52 costume should have looked like. A modern update, but not done tacky with all the excessive armor. I honestly don't think they could have done a better job with the redesign. Hopefully they don't change it for a while and we can just enjoy this costume, at least till the Rebirth era ends.