Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Superman and Batman both need to get the trunks back at some point.

Retired

I thought looking creepy and freaky and strange and absurd was the whole point. Otherwise put them in business suits and be done with it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Yeah, this is more-or-less my feeling. When the blue is dark, it's not bad. But I have to be honest, nothing yet beats the classic suit. I personally don't see it so much as nostalgia as it just being a more defining look for the character. The new suit looks good, but in my mind it's like this:

The new suit looks good!*
    *=(But the classic still looks the best)
    Thats where I'm at.

Though I absolutely want to give credit to the designers for continuing to work on the design. The red belt and yellow buckle is an improvement over the red half stripes and those are an improvement over just having that be an empty blue space.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    see this is what I'm talking about, something about the classic Robin suit just creeps me right the hell out.... Actually putting it on an antagonist is a stroke of genius.
    The Robin dollotron wasn't the antagonist. He was actually portrayed as a victim of Pyg and Deathwing.

Anyway, they should go back to the classic Robin costume for flashback purposes.

I agree that the classic Robin costume is beyond creepy. It never should see the light of day without proper leggings. Turtle shorts and pixie boots with bare legs and thighs is just...hell no.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

It's all graphic design basics. The red trunks give the suit 'balance', simple as that. You know what else gave balance and was basic graphic design? Back when Superman (and Batman!) has BLUE hair that matched the blue in the uniform! Supergirl, being a blond, had yellow hair that matched her belt buckle and insignia! Now THAT'S balance!!!

Blue highlights are still often used for black hair. It depends on the artist, but it hasn't gone away.

Eventually that belt is going to become so big that it will be the trunks once again.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

If we don't see the underwear come back after next year, where they will have several opportunities with action 1000 and doomsday clock, I doubt we'll ever see it back in terms of present continuity and not just flashbacks.

Which is exactly what I anticipate. Doomsday Clock will come and go with very little consequence in terms of alterations to Superman's mythos as currently constructed, because he's already fixed. First superhero, first mythos repaired. First character introduced to remember the old world, first character to herald the new. Very hard for me to see that as coincidence and not entirely deliberate. Superman's already been "repaired" to the extent DC has decided upon.

Doomsday Clock could however herald the Earth entire being fixed conclusively. Action 1000 will have the trunks because they'll feature on variants, and if they do stories respresenting various eras they'll most definitely be used there. But they've had several opportunities in the past going-on-6-years and nothing's come about in regards to putting them back full time. 1000 isn't going to change that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

You never know, a costume designer on one of the movies or TV shows could just decide what the heck let's try this.

I think if Tyler Hoechlin had shown up on SUPERGIRL in the classic costume, everyone would have rolled with it--because his character is supposed to be in the model of the classic Superman.

I'm not putting any stock on on any potential syncing with the Supergirl show even if they were to try something there, but if anything were to happen in the movies, then I'd step back and re-evaluate my feelings. But I highly doubt that in of itself.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Superman and Batman both need to get the trunks back at some point.
    How about Wonder Woman getting her swimsuit armor back?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Sadly, movie snycing is a big part of the reason the trunks are unlikely to return. I suspect the trunks would have to come back in popular non-comic media before DC would consider bringing them back into the comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I am curious just how good a movie budget superman suit with trunks could look. I mean I appreciate the suits wore by Chris Reeves or Dean Cain as much as anyone, but those obviously won't work fly these days, (no pun intended). The only one we got was Brandon Routh's suit, which looked terrible when it came out, and even worse considering just how high the bar has been raised on movie superhero suits since then. Even the Arrowverse Superman suit is considerably better on the eyes than Routh's. I keep trying to picture in my mind what a decent big budget Superman costume suit with trunks would look like, and I can't. (Fortunately, I imagine the actual costume designers are far more creative than me).