Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    You are so right there. And Spidey kicked ass as well. He didnt need help every fight.

It is with out a doubt my favourite run on Spidey. Even with 'The Other and OMD there to taint it. I dont mind Sins Past.

You go and get to the reading. Lol.
    Don't know if I would call it my favorite run, but it's up there. I like JMS' literary style of writing. There are parts that drag, but it's certainly worth a re-read. I didn't mind "Sins Past" that much either.

And yeah, Spidey was actually able to take on Morlun twice, mostly by himself (though the second time was pretty much fatal).

Were that classic fight to have happened now, he'd have to have all of the Avengers and SHIELD, Mockingbird, Silk, Clash, Otto, Anna Maria and Alpha all helping him win the day.

JMS was a little too wordy at times, and sometimes he was a little too clever for his own good. But there is some really worthwhile reading in there, good stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    JMS was a little too wordy at times, and sometimes he was a little too clever for his own good. But there is some really worthwhile reading in there, good stuff.
    How is being too clever a bad thing? His writing and dialogue are his chief asset in his run because of how well he characterized Peter, MJ and Aunt May and all other villains and supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    How is being too clever a bad thing? His writing and dialogue are his chief asset in his run because of how well he characterized Peter, MJ and Aunt May and all other villains and supporting cast.
    Clever is bad when its not tempered. His run, as much as I enjoyed the writing and dialogue, sometimes feels a little like riding a hurtling fever train plowing into pitch blackness. Crazy fun to read but you always had this feeling that a crash was coming at some point. And we all know what that crash was in this instance.

Marvel let JMS have free reign, essentially and thats how his run was so nuts. They all knew OMD was coming to reset it all. That works against the JMS run being meaningful, though. JMS wrote a great run, but he basically wrote himself into irrelevance. If that makes sense. Practically every new idea he introduced and every tool he developed was done away with in the BND era.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-07-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Clever is bad when its not tempered. His run, as much as I enjoyed the writing and dialogue, sometimes feels a little like riding a hurtling fever train plowing into pitch blackness. Crazy fun to read but you always had this feeling that a crash was coming at some point. And we all know what that crash was in this instance.

Marvel let JMS have free reign, essentially and thats how his run was so nuts. They all knew OMD was coming to reset it all. That works against the JMS run being meaningful, though. JMS wrote a great run, but he basically wrote himself into irrelevance. If that makes sense. Practically every new idea he introduced and every tool he developed was done away with in the BND era.
    Yeah I understand what you mean. JMS himself stated that he knew what was in store from the beginning of his run that OMD was going to happen.

BANNED

They all knew OMD was coming to reset it all. That works against the JMS run being meaningful, though. JMS wrote a great run, but he basically wrote himself into irrelevance. If that makes sense. Practically every new idea he introduced and every tool he developed was done away with in the BND era.
    Some of his strongest and most controversial concepts, such as Morlun and The Other, were fleshed out more in Spider-Verse and Kaine's stint as the Scarlet Spider. And Silk owes her whole origin to JMS creation Ezekiel. There's also the recent Mephisto involvement in Spidey/Deadpool that, while it doesn't quite cover OMD directly, you know when reading it what they're meaning by it.

Hell, even the girl from OMD found new life later as Annie May Parker.

''Wrote himself into irrelevance'' is a bit hyperbolic and very untrue. JMS's run has a legacy that has helped further some status quos and characters for years onwards.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Hell, even the girl from OMD found new life later as Annie May Parker.
    This sounds like a fan theory with no basis in the comics.

Incredible Member

This sounds like a fan theory with no basis in the comics.
    How could it. After OMD, everything regarding Peter and MJ just went to hell. The same girl makes a brief appearance in the equally terrible OMIT as the daughter of MJ's dreams. Seeing as how RYV has some semblance of a connection or tie (though it may not be all that solid but it is thanks to Slott), this in turn leads us to believe that for all intents and purposes, had OMD not happened, RYV is the future Peter and MJ would have had and it concurs well because Aunt May will have died just like she's dead in RYV.