Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

So what does this do to the plans for Batgirl that the writers have laid out in BATMAN ETERNAL??? Does she just switch costumes midstream in that book or will these changes be ignored??

Just curious...

All-New Member

A Bat-book with a lighter tone. I'm in.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    She's done nothing but worry about stuff during the whole run while having no fun at all and being outright miserable. The change of approach is appreciated.

Besides, she's dealing with her family issues plenty in Batman Eternal. And I'm sure it won't be completely overlooked in her book, which hasn't even come out yet. And Jim's situation might have even been resolved by the time we hit October anyway.
    I am not saying I liked the old way, but there has to be a middle ground, a happy joyful Batgirl will get boring after I while. I don't want her to end up like the Harley Quinn title. And like I keep saying, I am looking forward too it, I just hope it does not end up that way.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Is not the new52 Babs motivated a bit by tragedy? The tragedy of her getting shot and not being able to walk?
    She starts off fascinated by Batman. Then, after whatever happens with her brother, she becomes Batgirl and is motivated to make the world a better place. "Killing Joke" happens two years before the start of New 52. Now, she can walk again and she wants to get back in fully, but she's pushing herself too far — and events are making it hard for her.

BANNED

They're infantilizing a demure, intelligent, and independent character who the writers have worked very hard to establish. A commissioner's highly intelligent daughter with ties to batman wouldn't be running around looking like a mall biker. It's insulting to fans of the series and to Barbara Gordon who had nothing wrong with her costume in the first place.

And the yellow combat boots make her look stupid like she doesn't take her job seriously or something
    Last edited by Deathlok2011; 07-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.

I'm 30 and still hang out with many women who wear leather jackets or funny boots and dainty gloves and take selfies or watch stupid TV shows. I'm not sure how you can ever grow out of those things? Or why it's somehow weird or "hipster" for Batgirl to suddenly reflect a realistic modern woman.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cerial442 View Post
    I would rather read about her emotions dealing with family crisis, than about her being a 21 year old hipster chick. Is she going to be able to stop the criminals and still make the VHS showing of a documentary being projected in the basement of a candy shop?
    Yeah, because that totally what's going to happen. That's not you jumping the gun and pre-judging things at all, except that it is. The book has been unrelentingly depressing and miserable from day one. She's had no fun and no breaks whatsoever, it's been one crappy thing happening to her after another. A little lightheartedness is appreciated. I fully expect that their will still be dark elements in the book, and she'll go through tough stuff. It's just that reading the book won't make you want to drink once you're done because it's so depressing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    So what does this do to the plans for Batgirl that the writers have laid out in BATMAN ETERNAL??? Does she just switch costumes midstream in that book or will these changes be ignored??

Just curious...
    Well there's no reason to assume they take place at the same time, but who knows, maybe she'll be leaving Gotham (and Batman Eternal) in October.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlok2011 View Post
    They're infantilizing a demure, intelligent, and independent character who the writers have worked very hard to establish. A commissioner's highly intelligent daughter with ties to batman wouldn't be running around looking like a mall biker. It's insulting to fans of the series and to Barbara Gordon who had nothing wrong with her costume in the first place.

And the yellow combat boots make her look stupid like she doesn't take her job seriously or something
    That's a bunch of nonsense. We don't know exactly how things are going to go. You DO NOT KNOW that she won't still be highly intelligent (although she hasn't come across as being particularly intelligent since the New 52 started anyway). You DO NOT KNOW that she won't take her job seriously. All that we know is that the book won't be "Batgirl in the tone of Saw" anymore. It's this kind of ludicrous jumping the gun that gives comic book fans a bad name.

Actually they're Yellow Doc Martens my friend.

http://www.drmartens.com/us/Womens/W...NCH/p/14822750

Also their's nothing wrong with her Rockabiliy style, and it makes sense for a character who for a long time didn't have real ties to Batman and Robin. If anything her lack of real uniform is a symbol of her being Independent.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, because that totally what's going to happen. That's not you jumping the gun and pre-judging things at all, except that it is. The book has been unrelentingly depressing and miserable from day one. She's had no fun and no breaks whatsoever, it's been one crappy thing happening to her after another. A little lightheartedness is appreciated. I fully expect that their will still be dark elements in the book, and she'll go through tough stuff. It's just that reading the book won't make you want to drink once you're done because it's so depressing.
    So we can't like a book if it is dark and serious. All books have to be fun right? Gotcha.

See they could have easily made this book called Spoiler and about Stephanie Brown. The fans of the current Batgirl (and yes they do exist) could have kept the status quo, and all they want to accomplish with the new direction could have easily been done in a new book.

Do I want every book dark? No. Do I want every book to be lighthearted and fun? No. Batgirl was a serious book, whereas something like Superior Foes was where I could get something fun.

All of the depressing dark stuff in Batgirl has to go through is what makes her compelling, and makes her stronger because she hasn't been broken yet. She could easily give up and walk away, but still choses to face the darkness and try to help protect the city. Or at least she did.

This news story broke from an MTV article. After reading that, I don't think I'm jumping the gun. They gave her trendy ear gages in the picture where she is jumping, and plan on making her sassy and taking out all of the darkness.

Curious, do you read Batman? It's dark, serious, and he doesn't get to have fun or catch any breaks either.

They're infantilizing a demure, intelligent, and independent character who the writers have worked very hard to establish. A commissioner's highly intelligent daughter with ties to batman wouldn't be running around looking like a mall biker.
    1- Barbara´s high intelligence is something that I actually really missed from her book, what makes you think she is still missing that in the new book?

2- Cant Bikers cant intelligent or independent?

3- how is Barb independent? she doesnt even have a job!

It's insulting to fans of the series and to Barbara Gordon who had nothing wrong with her costume in the first place.
    I think this is funny
    It is not only insulting the fans of the series, it is also insulting the character itself to use a jacket

Its All-New Wonder Woman all over again

really, what is the problem with the boots?
    I really dont get this
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-10-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Just curious...
    I think one will lead to the other one as in what happen in Eternal will inspire the change of costume

So we can't like a book if it is dark and serious. All books have to be fun right? Gotcha.
    he didnt said anything like that

See they could have easily made this book called Spoiler and about Stephanie Brown. The fans of the current Batgirl (and yes they do exist) could have kept the status quo, and all they want to accomplish with the new direction could have easily been done in a new book.
    This is actually a very fair point, this could had been a good set up for spoiler

Do I want every book dark? No. Do I want every book to be lighthearted and fun? No. Batgirl was a serious book, whereas something like Superior Foes was where I could get something fun.
    but the fact is, somethings fit being dark, while others dont, same for being lighthearted and fun

Batgirl just simply doesnt work as a dark depressing book which has flashbacks to the Killing Joke every 5 issues

All of the depressing dark stuff in Batgirl has to go through is what makes her compelling, and makes her stronger because she hasn't been broken yet. She could easily give up and walk away, but still choses to face the darkness and try to help protect the city. Or at least she did.

I will just say that I completely disagree 100% with such a view of the book
    if I say anything else we would be discussing for days

This news story broke from an MTV article. After reading that, I don't think I'm jumping the gun. They gave her trendy ear gages in the picture where she is jumping, and plan on making her sassy and taking out all of the darkness.

Curious, do you read Batman? It's dark, serious, and he doesn't get to have fun or catch any breaks either.
    but being dark and grim fits batman

doesnt mean that there can be a lighthearted batman story it just simply fits better
    just like Harley Quinn fits better as a sympathetic funny psychopath rather than one who puts explosives inside kids videogames for absolutely no reason

Someone mentioned before but it is kind of correct that its not the change of tone that might feel wrong but the sudden change of tone as there has to be a middle ground
    how do you move from once a character whose has been MISERABLE(and i put that in caps because it is very important) for 3 years in a row to someone whose life simply doesnt suck
    It is quite a massive change which obviously need a transition period, but that is something that the writers will need to work on, whatever that was good or bad that is for us to decide when the time comes.

I just dont think that is fair to write off the series completely just because it just wont be "Batgirl in the tone of Saw" anymore.(to quote Punisher007)
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 07-11-2014 at 12:00 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post

but the fact is, somethings fit being dark, while others dont, same for being lighthearted and fun

Batgirl just simply doesnt work as a dark depressing book which has flashbacks to the Killing Joke every 5 issues
    I've been reading this version of Batgirl since issue 1. There were mentions of the Killing Joke in the first arc because she was overcoming her fears and getting back into the superhero business. During the 'Death of the Family' story there were flashbacks, but it made sense then. The only other time was when she ran into one of the henchmen that shot her. There hasn't been a mention of the Killing Joke in a long time.

I will just say that I completely disagree 100% with such a view of the book
    if I say anything else we would be discussing for days
    That's fine. But tell me this WHY does Batgirl have to be fun and lighthearted?

but being dark and grim fits batman

doesnt mean that there can be a lighthearted batman story it just simply fits better
    just like Harley Quinn fits better as a sympathetic funny psychopath rather than one who puts explosives inside kids videogames for absolutely no reason
    And being a dark and serious book fit the current Batgirl run. Honestly though, up until this story broke out, I never thought it was a miserable book. It was serious, but fit in with the other Bat Family books. Plus look at the ending of the vampire story, that was played for laughs and was actually pretty awesome.

Someone mentioned before but it is kind of correct that its not the change of tone that might feel wrong but the sudden change of tone as there has to be a middle ground
    how do you move from once a character whose has been MISERABLE(and i put that in caps because it is very important) for 3 years in a row to someone whose life simply doesnt suck
    It is quite a massive change which obviously need a transition period, but that is something that the writers will need to work on, whatever that was good or bad that is for us to decide when the time comes.

I just dont think that is fair to write off the series completely just because it just wont be "Batgirl in the tone of Saw" anymore.(to quote Punisher007)
    It is fair to write it off when the artwork looks like a Cartoon Network tween show and it's not the character some of us have been reading for 35 issues. It should at least start with a new number 1. The direction is the problem I have (mostly the whole hipster thing and the cosplay costume), not Simone leaving (which I expected to happen pretty soon).

BANNED

No, that's what YOU'RE projecting onto her.

Gail Simone turned Batgirl into a prolonged victim of the Joker. She regressed her back from what Oracle rescued her from. It was crapola on a monthly schedule and it was insulting. It was also pretty graphic and poorly directed for a character that should be aimed at young female readers.

This is the new Batgirl, designed by girls for girls.

Also, go tell a local marine that his combat boots look stupid and he doesn't take his job seriously. What an ignorant observation.

Everything you're saying here is wrong. I want you to know that.