Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default BATGIRL gets a new creative team

As Gail SImone exits "Batgirl," Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr prepare to tell the next chapter in Barbara Gordon's life.

Full article here.

~~~

Interesting development and another major shakeup from DC. Stewart and Fletcher look like a promising creative team and hopefully this means a Birds of Prey series from Simone in the near future to replace the cancelled title.

Thanks Mark Doyle to make Batgirl enjoyable again

PSSSSSH, I figured this out days ago, haha.

But in all seriousness, as someone who just recently stopped forcing themselves to try and like the current Batgirl book, this is fantastic news. This is the sort of stuff DC needs. New, weird, unique, and FUN.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hmm.... this sounds promising! I'm not sure how I feel about the artist, but hey, I'll give it a shot, especially if its going for a lighter tone.

Astonishing Member

All hail Mark Doyle.

I wonder if there will be shitstorm incoming again

Astonishing Member

I am so angry right now; I am steaming.

Editorial mandate grim & gritty for Simone. Once she's bounced, then light & fluffy is great for the new guys.

"Elements of Veronica Mars"; I liked that show and it could be rather dark. Makes me wonder what he means.

I dislike the look of the new costume. I don't know if it will grow on me. I don't know if Babs Tarr is the right artist for this book.

Astonishing Member

All of this sounds good. If they could just integrate Oracle's IT skills into New 52 Barbara, I'll be down for this.

I can't believe how promising the Batman line has become. Now we just need Tomasi off B&R.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post
    Well, seeing as Simone doesn't seem to have been fired...

BANNED

I'm so sad right now. I really, really wanted that Cassandra Cain-starring Birds of Prey rumour to be true. I hate Barbara Gordon as Batgirl! She's great as Oracle, though.

Gail's got a new book being announced (probably) today, so I'm sure that'll diffuse some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    Interesting development and another major shakeup from DC. Stewart and Fletcher look like a promising creative team and hopefully this means a Birds of Prey series from Simone in the near future to replace the cancelled title.
    Hopefully not. A year or so ago, I was still of the belief that Gail's run on Batgirl was the one major blip on an otherwise superb resume. But then along came Gail's Red Sonja, which started genuinely well... and then quickly dropped off. And Tomb Raider, which was bad right from the start. I've just lost faith in Gail as a writer. It's as though she's stopped writing good stories and now only writes about idealised versions of characters that just aren't particularly fun. And fun is the very thing that Gail used to be so good at.

The idea of Gail writing for Kate, Steph or Cass... that's a genuinely scary prospect. Course, it would be ironic that with Fletcher/Stewart writing for her, Babs could actually become the character that Steph used to be. Swings and roundabouts, ain't it.

As for the new costume... I'm on the fence. I ain't sorry to see the back of the armoured look, but the leather jacket does come across like another case of the hipsterfication of some female comic-book characters lately. And it's not like Babs was exactly Power-Girl previously anyway (even when Benes was on art). That said, I'm loving the look of the art in general.

Great news. The book still sells ok but it's hard to argue it's not growing stale thematically and style wise. Simone's put in a long run and admirable in many regards, but eventually comes a time for something new, sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    This is the sort of stuff DC needs. New, weird, unique, and FUN.
    Exactly. And many would say this should have been the direction from the beginning.

Not if we can help it

HEADS UP:
    Any posts regarding Cass Cain, 4chan rumours or a new Birds of Prey book will be deleted. Please take them here.

Any posts disparaging or even remotely antagonising fans of other characters, series or writers will be deleted with lashings and exile swiftly to follow. Make your thoughts known, please, but stay cool

Well DC was late to the party but at least their trying for real this time with the quirky books.
    I'm definitely liking hipster batgirl

I'm head over heels for the new costume. It's arguably one of my favorite looks of DC's current heroes.