Default Batgirl #33 Preview/Discussion

There's an exclusive preview of Batgirl #33 at 13th Dimension: LINK

Looks good.

Yeesh, that face on the spread page is pretty rough. And so much blood. That variant cover is a thing of beauty though.

So is this Gail making up for having Kate kick her ass a year or so ago by showing Batgirl all bad-ass?

Or perhaps there's a little "This is what I think of Helena Wayne" undertone going on here.

As for the art it's just as frustrating it's always been. If only Pasarin could actually draw faces, I think he'd be a really good artist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    So is this Gail making up for having Kate kick her ass a year or so ago by showing Batgirl all bad-ass?
    More accurately, Batgirl didn't fight back against Batwoman (she only tried to block and dodge her blows) -- just as Huntress isn't fighting back in this preview. Batgirl's simply on the other side of the same situation.

Astonishing Member

I'm just glad to see being a Wayne doesn't mean Helena gets automatic Bat-God treatment.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

Or perhaps there's a little "This is what I think of Helena Wayne" undertone going on here.

As for the art it's just as frustrating it's always been. If only Pasarin could actually draw faces, I think he'd be a really good artist.
    To me it was an unsubtle re-working of Batgirl's fight with Batwoman to re-emphasise the girl part of Batgirl. It is true that Batgirl was not fighting back against Batwoman, but she was unsuccessful in defending herself and once the first effective blow was struck was apparently so overwhelmed by her opponent's awesomeness that she immediately surrendered. In her fight with the Huntress, her opponent did not even try to defend herself at all and let her punch herself out much as one might do with a toddler throwing a tantrum until she was restrained by her older and more experienced friend Black Canary. Huntress did not surrender or adopt a respectful attitude in the way that Batgirl did, in fact she made it plain that she thought that she could beat Batgirl if she chose to. Finally surely a detective would not have refused the opportunity to get a sample of a potential opponent's DNA by refusing the return of the wet-wipe as Batgirl did.
    Last edited by Bluebow; 07-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Amazing Member

great issue, though I can't place that one person Babs calls at the end. who is that??
    here come the surveyors...here come all the surveyors

Astonishing Member

Interesting issue. Not my favorite but worth the price for Huntress. I'm sad that she also went home this week ... I mean, not that she won't be back when Worlds End hits. Fun, though. The nods and winks and Gail trying to sort of just cover the "we haven't met" angle so she can get to the power trio angle.

I like the whole "calling in all the favors" element.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Art failed this issue. Pasarin didn't really bother me before, but here i just couldn't help but be taken out of the issue by the art. The faces were especially bad here to me, and the characters had the necks of parakeets. The art was just very awkward. Though Nightfalls bedfellows gave me a chuckle. Plus i managed to grab an issue with the anniversary variant cover, so im pretty happy about that.

Book needs a new artist after this arc. Not just because Pasarin is less than stellar, but because the book could use a little bit of a change of pace. Nothing drastic, but something to spice things up a little. I hate to say it but its getting a little stagnate. It could also use a big development. Maybe even take her out of Gotham for a little bit.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-09-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Interesting issue. Not my favorite but worth the price for Huntress. I'm sad that she also went home this week ... I mean, not that she won't be back when Worlds End hits. Fun, though. The nods and winks and Gail trying to sort of just cover the "we haven't met" angle so she can get to the power trio angle.

I like the whole "calling in all the favors" element.
    Pretty much agree. The B.E. footnote was very welcome but it was disappointing that Babs would not call her father back given his predicament. It should be fun how Babs learns about her brother.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Batgirl's haymaker to Wayne...Gail's really going after my heart with this last arc.

Anybody else thinks that's Zinda Blake?

Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    Anybody else thinks that's Zinda Blake?

Now that you mention it, she does have a bit of that look, but I don't think it necessarily was. Depends on if Gail wrote that into the script, or if Pasarin was doing an "Easter egg" with the art. But it could just also be "generic office blonde" for all I know.

I had given up on Gail's Batgirl just before the Batgirl: Wanted arc because I was sick of the way Gail made Jim Gordon look like a clueless dweeb, but picked up issues #32 and #33 recently because they had Black Canary and Huntress and generally liked them (though the art was less-than-spectacular). I might have to go back and buy some (slightly) older issues, too (like the ones with Ragdoll and with Silver).