Default Source for Dan Jurgens planning to introduce Jon as son of N52 Superman & Lois?

Before I made a CBR account, I recall seeing an interesting claim on this Superman forum. I can't remember the exact thread or which poster said it. But they claimed Dan Jurgens actually intended to introduce the character of Jon Kent as the son of New 52 Superman and Lois Lane. Apparently it was the decision of the higher up executives at DC to make him the son of the Pre Flashpoint Superman and Lois Lane instead because they were planning to bring back the Pre Flashpoint version of Superman and Lois Lane. I was wondering if there was actually any source to back this up or if this is a baseless rumour?
    Last edited by Lvenger; 06-06-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Before I made a CBR account, I recall seeing an interesting claim on this Superman forum. I can't remember the exact thread or which poster said it. But they claimed Dan Jurgens actually intended to introduce the character of Jon Kent as the son of New 52 Superman and Lois Lane.
    I think you're confusing with Jon Lane Kent or with Jurgens failing to pitch Clark and Lois having a baby during Futures End...

Dan Jurgens: It's weird, because when we first started this entire thing, to go back to Futures End, and we doing the Five Years Later books, one of the things that Dan said straight up is, "Let's not do kids, let's not do babies. That's what everybody will want to do." And it's like, "Fine, fine, fine."
    There were no plans to bring pre-Flashpoint Superman back before Jon came to existence. During the working of Convergence, Dan Jurgens suggested to Dan DiDio that Jon was the "future", so DiDio approved to bring Jon into the main continuity.

Dan Jurgens: Then when we started working on Convergence, one of the things that we threw at him was this idea that if Lois and Clark had a child, and we had a different ending in mind at that time, but if Lois and Clark had a child, that could be the future.

When I first said, "If we did that, here's what the child would represent, here's this future of DC." We talked about that a little bit, so obviously Jon was born in the Convergence: Superman issue that I wrote and drew, and then later Dan called me up one day and said, "I've always wanted to do a series called Lois and Clark."

We started talking about it, and Dan first said, "What if Jon was older? What if we aged him?" That's where I said, "No, we don't age him. We find out Superman has been here all along." That's where we started talking about the story ideas. That's what Jon came to represent, and this idea that, yes, he represents the future.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/07/23/s...means-that-su/
    The initial idea was to get Jon there somehow, and bringing his parents with him and making them the main versions of Superman and Lois was for Dan & Dan the idea that work best to have Jon around.

Dan Jurgens: Going all the way back to “Convergence,” we knew that Jon was going to survive to make it into the DCU. There were a lot of different ideas about how to do it and what might work best, but we knew that one way or another, we’d have him long term.

After that, we started to pull together the Superman: Lois & Clark series. From the beginning, we knew they’d survive to become the principal versions of the current versions, though the exact methodology had not yet been determined.

https://www.newsarama.com/34245-supe...cs-writer.html
    It was basically an idea leading to another, as Jurgens said in other interviews.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-06-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I think you're confusing with Jon Lane Kent or with Jurgens failing to pitch Clark and Lois having a baby during Futures End...

There were no plans to bring pre-Flashpoint Superman back before Jon came to existence. During the working of Convergence, Dan Jurgens suggested to Dan DiDio that Jon was the "future", so DiDio approved to bring Jon into the main continuity.

The initial idea was to get Jon there somehow, and bringing his parents with him and making them the main versions of Superman and Lois was for Dan & Dan the idea that work best to have Jon around.

It was basically an idea leading to another, as Jurgens said in others interviews.
    This is really informative, just the clarification I was looking for. So Jon Kent was developed from Jon Lane Kent from the New 52 Superboy series. And because Jurgens suggested Jon was good for the future, Didio approved bringing back the Pre Flashpoint versions of Superman and Lois Lane. That makes sense, thank you for your input. I appreciate the clarifications.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    This is really informative, just the clarification I was looking for. So Jon Kent was developed from Jon Lane Kent from the New 52 Superboy series.
    Jon (Samuel) Kent is a Jurgens' idea and wasn't developed from the previous Jon (Lane).

And because Jurgens suggested Jon was good for the future, Didio approved bringing back the Pre Flashpoint versions of Superman and Lois Lane. That makes sense, thank you for your input. I appreciate the clarifications.
    Exactly, wanting to move Jon in the main continuity led to the rest.
    In addition to what I posted before, you can hear also this part of an interview (1:58/3:29): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFBS...utu.be&t=1m58s