Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Professor Marston & The Wonder Women

Richard Alexander

Interesting. Wonder Woman's origin is one of those things that isn't quite as well-known as other heroes. It's also mired in a lot of hidden undertones, most of which have been retconned out of existence. But with the success of the Wonder Woman movie, I think it's worth revisiting some of those origins. The creation of Wonder Woman and the man behind her story is quite epic in its own right.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Interesting. Wonder Woman's origin is one of those things that isn't quite as well-known as other heroes. It's also mired in a lot of hidden undertones, most of which have been retconned out of existence. But with the success of the Wonder Woman movie, I think it's worth revisiting some of those origins. The creation of Wonder Woman and the man behind her story is quite epic in its own right.
    There's a stage play, LASSO OF TRUTH, that deals with some of this. It doesn't appear to be related, however (I mention this because an acquaintance of mine was in the Minnesota production).

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    There's a stage play, LASSO OF TRUTH, that deals with some of this. It doesn't appear to be related, however (I mention this because an acquaintance of mine was in the Minnesota production).
    There's a book by the same name that I'm waiting to read at my library. I wonder if they are related?!
    Superhero shows are trash

One if the women in Marston's life (I believe it to not be his wife but his secretary/lover), wore a thick (possibly silver) bracelet, which he used in Wonder Woman's concept design. You can see the evidence of it in the above pic of the woman in the blue dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    One if the women in Marston's life (I believe it to not be his wife but his secretary/lover), wore a thick (possibly silver) bracelet, which he used in Wonder Woman's concept design. You can see the evidence of it in the above pic of the woman in the blue dress.
    Yeah, it was his mistress (Olive Byrne) who was in a polyamorous relationship with Marston and his wife Elizabeth. The gauntlets were black and more leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Yeah, it was his mistress (Olive Byrne) who was in a polyamorous relationship with Marston and his wife Elizabeth. The gauntlets were black and more leather.
    Quite true.

Most people don't know or realize that originally, WW had small black bracelets. The small black ones then changed to dark blue, lighter blue, really light blue on the TV show which then got updated to gold for the "modern times" of the late 1970's TV show, and finally to silver in comics/animated/movies.

By the way, I really do like that costume!

I like her shorts. Comfortable for kicking people in the face lol

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post

This should be interesting.
    Now that's some effective hyping.

I got real interested in Marston's secret life after reading him as a character in an alternate timeline thread in Alternatehistory.com
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I like her shorts. Comfortable for kicking people in the face lol
    Wouldnt mind this getting into continuity as an alternate costume. Would be a nice in-joke, at least....

Retired

I get worried about this because too many people want to see Marston and his wives as some kinky pervs rather than as positive LGBTQ people. And the notion seems to be that Marston was strange--yet we don't have people looking into the lives of Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, Bob Kane or Bill Finger with the same lens. They also had their own peculiar tastes and foibles--everyone does. There's no such thing as normal. We are all different--which is the thing that unites us.

Mighty Member

I finally got around to seeing this movie and it was really good. It is a low budget biopic, so I didn't expect much buzz but I did imagine that other people on the board would have checked it out.

Mighty Member

Saw it a while ago. Quite liked it. A good little story. Painted a sympathetic picture of a three way relationship with a bit of kink. Rebecca Hall was a stand out.

Wouldn't mind watching it again.

Hope it inspires someone to write a golden age wonder woman story. Something wild akin to the recent Bug! the forager or Mister Miracle

Incredible Member

I just watched over the past weekend. It was AWFUL. Almost nothing in it was factual. Other than the old timey talk it was just 95% garbage.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I just watched over the past weekend. It was AWFUL. Almost nothing in it was factual. Other than the old timey talk it was just 95% garbage.
    I know some of the stuff with the code authority wasn't factual but what exactly wasn't fact based?