Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Does the potential of a "Wolverine: Battle for the Cowl" story appeal to you?

You know what I'm getting at. A few years ago DC killed (or whatever nonsense) Batman and created a story where all the Batman derivatives dressed up like the actual Batman and fought and did stuff until the actual Batman came back from death (or time travel or whatever).

Are you anticipating or would you be interested in a story like that for Wolverine?

There's a ton of Wolverine characters running around, with more added every day (hi Mystsnitk). A "everybody competes to be the replacement Wolverine" story might be really, really good (yeah, probably not)!

But what do you think?

Also, how might things be different for our mutant freedom fighters in "A World Without Wolverine (at least the main version, not counting out of continuity books like Savage)?"
    Last edited by Phoenix Egg; 05-01-2014 at 11:45 PM.

It doesn't appeal to me at all. BotA showed us that Jubilee wins the forthcoming Claw for the Claws battle royale.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

A Story like that works for Batman. hes the only true Batman but at least it was a mantle to wear and a costume. Wolvie cant be replaced and yes Jubilee did in the future but no i am not interested at all. Daken and X-23 are like LOgan but i dont want them or Jubes to call themselves 'Wolverine'
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

It made sense with Batman, because he left Gotham without its protector. Wolverine and his X-Men don't actually go out of their way to protect New York. They let problems literally show up on their doorstep and then Storm puts in some paperwork and within a couple of weeks she gets a permit to go do something, but there's not going to be any big hole anywhere without the threat of "Wolverine" coming for criminals.

BANNED

I should admit, as much as I generally dislike the idea of a replacement Wolverine, if Marvel wanted to give the name to Laura Kinney, it wouldn't bother as much as it would for any other character. I thought Future Jubes and just about everything else about BOTA was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    I thought Future Jubes and just about everything else about BOTA was awful.
    Amen.

It would be interesting to have Wolverine fake his death and go underground... but then he wouldn't be able to appear in 5+ books a month. :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Am I anticipating one, yes. Am I interested in one, no.

As mentioned in the OP, there are already a good number of derivatives already and I don't really see the point in one of them calling themselves Wolverine for, what, a few months, maybe a year. Tbh, I don't understand the idea of legacy characters. Imo, it simultaneously diminishes the significance of the "brand" while also preventing the character to be defined as an individual.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Naw lol. faking his death would be worse then this whole Death story is
    X-Men Forever

That would be a biased thing to do regarding the other dead characters.

I can see Marvel doing that for some quick cash grab but honestly, what have Wolverine ever done to make his codename become a legacy? Gotham NEEDS Batman to protect the city because to Gotham's people Batman isn't just a crime-fighting guy but a symbol as well. Wolverine is just one of the mutants. No one needs to take HIS name to do his job.
    Last edited by Anis; 05-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Amen.

It would be interesting to have Wolverine fake his death and go underground... but then he wouldn't be able to appear in 5+ books a month. :rolleyes:
    You think him being dead is gonna stop him from being in books? That's part of my problem with the story. They'll kill him and still publish stuff like "Savage Wolverine." Nevermind the fact that he'll be in whatever books haven't wrapped up by the time he's been killed off. But I've digressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Tbh, I don't understand the idea of legacy characters. Imo, it simultaneously diminishes the significance of the "brand" while also preventing the character to be defined as an individual.
    I've never understood it either. Never really appealed to me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe Division View Post
    It made sense with Batman, because he left Gotham without its protector. Wolverine and his X-Men don't actually go out of their way to protect New York. They let problems literally show up on their doorstep and then Storm puts in some paperwork and within a couple of weeks she gets a permit to go do something, but there's not going to be any big hole anywhere without the threat of "Wolverine" coming for criminals.
    I agree completely. The Batman one was necessary because he became a symbol for Gotham. There was a greater cause that came with the Batman name that necessitated a kind of passing of the torch so a Batman exists. I think Wolverine is not the kind of character that necessitates some kind of perpetual existence.

What torch would there be for the new Wolverine's to pick up? Drinking, smoking, and stabbing people? Wolverine doesn't exactly mean they get to be in charge of the school. I do admit it would be kind of funny seeing X-23 or Daken inheriting the headmaster job and X-23 badly trying to take up drinking and smoking. Especially the Daken as headmaster thing.
    Last edited by idiyona; 05-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Hmm, no. I couldn't help but think "fake!" anytime the new "Wolverine" would showed up.
    Actually, between the clones, illegitimate infants and adopted heiresses, most of them are already frauds anyway.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

I don't really understand what they would be fighting FOR. Batman (or Captain America, and a few others) is a symbol as much as it is a person, and has a very clear cut role and purpose, that's why there is a strong sense of legacy there, and why it would make sense that there would be a replacement if he should die or something. If you strip away everything about his specific personality and reduce it down to his role, Wolverine is just one of the X-Men's resident badasses. Probably the biggest badass of the group, but still. While one of the other badass type characters (Cable, maybe?) would no doubt kinda step into his shoes, there's no symbol there for someone to step into, he's just a popular character who likes a good scrap.
    Last edited by Raye; 05-02-2014 at 02:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    just one of the X-Men's resident badasses.
    Why did he then one of the most popular comic book characters?

I don't see any need for it personally a fight over use of the name would just seem sort of silly. If a storyline does come out of how to replace him i'd want those lives that are connected to him Jubilee,X-23 and even Daken change and take lessons they learned from him even try to do some good in his memory but for them to all start fighting each other because they all want to call themselves Wolverine would just seem really dumb. If they all want to wear some yellow spandex and get their jollies off and then discuss what his death means to them great but fight each other no. Maybe they can all just get together and take down somebody who hates Wolverine then get together around his grave and talk about it XD.

And yeah BotA is just one possible future you can't really take anything from that and say "this is what will happen" Marvel has like 1 million futures for the X Men.