Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Wow, that's some pretty bad optics, there.
    Especially after a quick check on the search engine tells me the original movie opened in the last week of March.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't think it's that egregious

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I don't think it's that egregious
    While I agree, and can't see it being done intentionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Wow, that's some pretty bad optics, there.
    it's not the 1st time, and won't be the last, I'd wager. And tho likely, I have yet to find confirmation they'll be releasing any actual, new PotA title(s) the same month, so... there ya go.

Like if it were only on books with black leads or something maybe but the appearance of monkeys during February isn't racist

BANNED

Like if it were only on books with black leads or something maybe but the appearance of monkeys during February isn't racist
    As evidenced, apparently it can be... if ya want it to, i.e., ya run the risk of appearing tone-deaf... @ the very least, I guess?

For me personally, I try not to feed any perceived, prospective trolls, thereby denying these would-be haters the... sustenance of satisfaction they so desperately crave.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 11-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    As evidenced, apparently it can be... if ya want it to, i.e., ya run the risk of appearing tone-deaf... @ the very least, I guess?

For me personally, I try not to feed any perceived, prospective trolls, thereby denying these would-be haters the... sustenance of satisfaction they so desperately crave.
    My personal guess is tone deaf rather than racist. Marvel has to much evidence to the contrary for me to believe any outright racism outside of an executive suite (individual outliers have appeared before, but this is a line wide thing) persists at the company.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    ironically so. and it makes it blatantly obvious why it's sometimes funny when people gaslight us like we are suppose to be so up in arms about so many things but it's mum's the word when it comes to what was used to offend us but whatever. i may go in my local shop that month just to observe what is on shelves, maybe shops will surprise people and not actually order any of it and marvel is left with a stock of monkey covers. #monkeypoxmarvel. lol
    I just stopped in to say this!

It will never not be weird to me as a black person, we are not allowed to be offended at anything, everything is "unintentional" or a "joke" and we're often told how we should feel about these topics....except when it refers to other minority groups. Then we must investigate, research, and give voices to those groups in order to reduce the opportunities for prejudice.

Extraordinary Member

Is it too late for them to just put the variant covers on the following month's issues so they aren't released in February? These covers are irrelevant to the stories within so it makes no difference if they contain issue 7 instead of issue 6. It may be too late to make that change, but given how Marvel's been delaying books so much the last 2 years, they could also delay some of these issues into March so it's not just a February thing.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I just stopped in to say this!

It will never not be weird to me as a black person, we are not allowed to be offended at anything, everything is "unintentional" or a "joke" and we're often told how we should feel about these topics....except when it refers to other minority groups. Then we must investigate, research, and give voices to those groups in order to reduce the opportunities for prejudice.
    Never fails. A youtube channel I casually follow talks about this. If something offends us as a group, we're "overreacting." But let it be any other group of people being insulted, and the gloves come off.

Here's the vid where said person talks about it when Connor McGregor's mom thought it was funny to do blackface for Halloween.

https://youtu.be/efBg5J5zkxE

And you have people, of course, defending it as a joke or "just a costume." When it's black, it never matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Is it too late for them to just put the variant covers on the following month's issues so they aren't released in February? These covers are irrelevant to the stories within so it makes no difference if they contain issue 7 instead of issue 6. It may be too late to make that change, but given how Marvel's been delaying books so much the last 2 years, they could also delay some of these issues into March so it's not just a February thing.
    March is the anniversary of the first film in the series, so that would be perfect. Especially if it is the last week (Google says the date was March 27, 1963) of the month.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Again I really dont think it's a big issue, it's not like they're in like Voices or something, it's just a variant cover involving apes. There's not really any controversy. Hell the POTA apes don't even look like regular apes anyways.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Again I really dont think it's a big issue, it's not like they're in like Voices or something, it's just a variant cover involving apes. There's not really any controversy. Hell the POTA apes don't even look like regular apes anyways.
    The issue is the one, single, month Black Americans (and only Black Americans) have been given to celebrate their history and Blackness (because those things can't be celebrated any time throughout the entire year we damn well please) has been "desecrated" by Movie Apes on comic book variant covers (mind you, not the regular covers or even the BHM February covers)

And...they have every right to be offended. And...should stop supporting Marvel comics entirely (not buy any of their product ever again) because they clearly don't respect Black American Comic book readers. They never have nor will they ever respect their Black American readership/fanbase.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I really don't see why on earth it would be offensive. Like the Apes don't look like stereotypical deprictions of black people, and they aren't even just regular apes and monkeys like the newer movies: they look like white guys with lots of hair and a weird muzzle face. Nobody would look at this design and think it's meant to look like a black person.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    My personal guess is tone deaf rather than racist. Marvel has to much evidence to the contrary for me to believe any outright racism outside of an executive suite (individual outliers have appeared before, but this is a line wide thing) persists at the company.
    Exactly. I don't believe there's any maleficence on Marvel's part, just a funny 'cause it's sad coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I really don't see why on earth it would be offensive. Like the Apes don't look like stereotypical deprictions of black people, and they aren't even just regular apes and monkeys like the newer movies: they look like white guys with lots of hair and a weird muzzle face. Nobody would look at this design and think it's meant to look like a black person.

Just a wild guess but you're not black are you?