Page 4 of 1453 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    That's not why people turned on Wolverine. They turned on him because of crappy characterization. Writing him so horribly out of character as to make him almost unrecognizable to long time fans. As long as OML is well written, they can put him in every Marvel book as far as I'm concerned.
    Quoted for truth! That's exactly what happened. And in the most non insulting way possible I'm sick of people complaining about a character being in too many books. If they help sell them those are just the breaks.

That's not why people turned on Wolverine. They turned on him because of crappy characterization. Writing him so horribly out of character as to make him almost unrecognizable to long time fans. As long as OML is well written, they can put him in every Marvel book as far as I'm concerned.
    For me, it was definitely him showing up in too many books. It was getting irritating as that soot could be used to better written characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Quoted for truth! That's exactly what happened. And in the most non insulting way possible I'm sick of people complaining about a character being in too many books. If they help sell them those are just the breaks.
    Then you're not reading the right criticisms or are selectively blocking it out, because I see a FUCKTON of complaints about Logan appearing in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Don't you know? Marvel thinks women in power aren't allowed to have long hair.
    Come to think of it Danvers did have the same thing going on

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Then you're not reading the right criticisms or are selectively blocking it out, because I see a FUCKTON of complaints about Logan appearing in everything.
    And it's funny to me how these complaints mostly seemed reserved for Logan and never for other characters who appear in about the same or more books per month. At least the books Logan appear in make sense for him as he has connections and a personal history with the other characters who also star in the book.

So I guess some folks feel that Marvel editorial should not allow authors to choose their own casts and pick the characters they want, instead editorially mandating that they have to sub in someone else for Logan? Likely someone who won't move as many books at that. Sounds like an unreasonable position, and one that is firmly based in "but I want to see more of my favorite character insteeeeaaaaad!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChibaMariners View Post
    Come to think of it Danvers did have the same thing going on
    Carol, Kitty, Crystal, Jeen, Rogue.

BANNED

Sounds like an unreasonable position, and one that is firmly based in "but I want to see more of my favorite character insteeeeaaaaad!"
    That's a hypocritical position to take considering Logan fans gleefully accepting his appearance in HALF THE X-LINE is rooted in the exact same attitude.

When you have a LARGE group of characters that aren't appearing anywhere, editorial SHOULD be stepping in and saying "hey wait a second..." when EVERYONE is trying to write the same goddamn character in every series.

Unless they are more concerned about giving their writers the freedom to use who they want and also, you know, sales. It is a business after all. So, no. Not hypocritical at all.

Cable is obviously a favorite of mine. I wish they'd use him in more books than just his solo. For whatever reason, the writers have chosen not to and Marvel isn't forcing them to. Instead they've gone with Logan. I suppose because that's who they want to use and because he sells more. So be it. I may not like it, but I understand it and accept it.

lol jackraow, are you seriously implying OML's presence in half these books wasn't editorially-mandated?

I mean, it IS a business, so I don't completely blame them (though I do get annoyed by it, since I feel OML himself can't get any serious development when he's being shared by 4 books).

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    And it's funny to me how these complaints mostly seemed reserved for Logan and never for other characters who appear in about the same or more books per month. At least the books Logan appear in make sense for him as he has connections and a personal history with the other characters who also star in the book.
    Also quoted for truth. So many characters do this but most want to pretend it's only Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    lol jackraow, are you seriously implying OML's presence in half these books wasn't editorially-mandated?

I mean, it IS a business, so I don't completely blame them (though I do get annoyed by it, since I feel OML himself can't get any serious development when he's being shared by 4 books).
    I highly doubt he is a editorial mandate. And if he is it's because it provides a considerable bump in sales which would be a fan mandate.

Either way I too find it to basically be a way to cry about your favorite character not being used without just coming out and doing so.
    Last edited by WeaponX; 06-07-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's a hypocritical position to take considering Logan fans gleefully accepting his appearance in HALF THE X-LINE is rooted in the exact same attitude.

When you have a LARGE group of characters that aren't appearing anywhere, editorial SHOULD be stepping in and saying "hey wait a second..." when EVERYONE is trying to write the same goddamn character in every series.
    Making writers write characters simply because they aren't used is going to lead to some terrible writing. A character doesn't deserve a focus a story just because they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    Making writers write characters simply because they aren't used is going to lead to some terrible writing. A character doesn't deserve a focus a story just because they are there.
    You're right, editorial doesn't need to force writers to include a character because they exist, but they also don't need to let 800 writers have the same character at once.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    What other characters? MCU ones don't count. Deadpool has always been that odd duck.

X-Characters? Tyke I guess counts.

Having OML show up in every book is making me dislike him. Especially when the stories begin to contradict each other which they will since the editors can barely keep track of characters in just two books.

because he sells more.
    This is the only excuse that makes sense. Any other excuse is bs.