It feels like Marvel hasn't really known what to do with Laura for years, especially when they brought Logan back as Wolverine but also let her be another Wolverine...while still doing the bare minimum with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    X-23 sucks. Clones or other GMO variants are lazy writing. The only reason she's sold well in solo books is because the audience loves fetishizing over a hyper-violent child sex slave. I can't believe the character even exists(what the hell was Quesada thinking? Oh yeah, let's bring this cartoon character to the comics this way!), but then I remember who actually runs the entertainment industry(as all other industries), and then it makes sense. Do you really think Marvel-Disney wants to call attention to X-23's originating comic series(NYX) in this day and age? I would think they would rather sweep that under the rug....
    It's not like she's the only popular character with something controversial in her history.

Be KIND.
    Simply because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean it doesn't have value for others.
    There are plenty of characters with very problematic origins or characters who've endured harrowing cringe worthy storylines that've managed to flourish and become meaningful representation to a lot of readers.

Have a sandwich.

So you're really going to defend Quesada's take on the Evolution character by bringing her in as a,(checks notes), "self-harming S&M child sex slave"? Oh, ok....in this hellscape we call a world, to each their own....

I'm curious, what other character has an origin like that?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I'm not defending the origin.
    I'm defending what the character's evolution has meant to readers, and what Laura represents for them now.

I'm pretty confident the majority of the readership and Laura's fans are in agreement that the origin details you listed are not details to be lauded.

And yet they are clamoring for it to be celebrated with a 20th anniversary spectacular.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

It's not like she's the only popular character with something controversial in her history.
    Indeed. Illyana and Xuan spring to mind. Both favorites of mine. (The characters -- not the horrors they endured)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Gonna disagree with you on the Gabby and Logan front. Logan was never really big brother or father to Laura, he was incredibly neglectful, which is what makes her dynamic with Gabby work, her endeavoring to try to do better, and they did set up and establish several friends and, potential enemy concepts, if not individuals; they just constantly failed to do anything with them.
    Valid points.

For the most recent years I would put it down to the fact none of it was particularly simpatico with the high concept mutant ethnostate koolaid all of the characters were forced to drink, which overrode many characters meaningful characterization.
    It was certainly a harmfull period for the franchise overall.

Outside of New, and maybe her stint on X-force (Kyle and Yost, not Percy), she's honestly at her best when she has little to do with the X-men.
    She seems to me like a character who needs others around to bounce of on, but it's true that doesn't need to be the X-men.

I mean youre the only one bringing it up. No one was clamoring for those story beats to be rehashed.

You seem to hate the character.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I mean youre the only one bringing it up. No one was clamoring for those story beats to be rehashed.

You seem to hate the character.
    Literally the last page of this thread was people clamoring for a 20th anniversary spectacular for X-23's debut. And I reminded the thread of what that comic debut was. So, either you want to implicitly ignore her originate comic story or I'm misunderstanding something. And yes, I do despise the character, but that's besides the point.

BANNED

Literally the last page of this thread was people clamoring for a 20th anniversary spectacular for X-23's debut. And I reminded the thread of what that comic debut was. So, either you want to implicitly ignore her originate comic story or I'm misunderstanding something. And yes, I do despise the character, but that's besides the point.
    BECAUSE SHE'S BEEN IN THE BOOKS FOR 20 @#$%ING YEARS. It has NOTHING to do with celebrating a specific book appearance. 20 years of longevity is a LONG time in the Big Two comics considering most new characters fizzle out in only two or three.

So no, it's not "besides the point." You're literally MAKING it the point by putting words in mouths to satisfy your need to **** on other peoples' likes. I wasn't in here prefacing things by denouncing Logan getting a 50th anniversary book because he's a toxic hypermasculine power trip self-insert fantasy for incels, so GTF over yourself. Whether you do or not, PLENTY of other people enjoy the character. You don't speak for them, and you don't speak for the industry. If you don't want to see a 20th Anniversary story, DON'T BUY IT. But don't be so petty as to crap all over anyone who does,
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 10-23-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Literally the last page of this thread was people clamoring for a 20th anniversary spectacular for X-23's debut.
    Clamoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And yet they still won't give her a 20th Birthday nod. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    She's canonically 20 in the books, however I mean her publishing 20th birthday. She first appeared in Evolution in August, 2003, and NYX #3 was December, 2003.
    Clamoring critique: The confetti canons are a bit gauche, but I have to say the chanting slaps, honestly.
    7/10 Amby. Clamoring could have been clammier.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Clamoring?

Clamoring critique: The confetti canons are a bit gauche, but I have to say the chanting slaps, honestly.
    8/10 Amby. Could have been clammier.
    I'll do better for the 25th.

Has anyone tried the chicken? I thought the chicken was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Has anyone tried the chicken? I thought the chicken was lovely.
    Did anyone tell Glob??

oooOo pretty cover.

@PepeLarraz:

"Inks for the cover of Immortal X-Men #17, X-Men 60Th Variant.
    Ballpoint, inkwash, markers, pencils and white gouache on Arches hot pressed watercolor paper.
    Original art soon for sale at @TGR_ComicArt.
    And a brief step by step on the following tweets, please don't leave yet."

"Please don't leave yet" lol Pepe is the cutest. Great process info and images he posted.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!