Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Should be noticed though that even though is lower than Immortal and adjective-less, 25 or thereabouts is good. Is better than Avengers.
    Not to mention if it doesn't count digital sales then that chart is absolutely meaningless other than someone using what basically amounts to surface data to proclaim facts.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not to mention if it doesn't count digital sales then that chart is absolutely meaningless other than someone using what basically amounts to surface data to proclaim facts.
    It's definitely in good shape sales wise overall I just wish it took the number 1 spot amongst the X-Books because the quality definitely deserves that recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I agree because as we know, X-books sell better digitally than print. And I have to imagine digital continues to increase in market share.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I honestly wish I could care even the smallest bit about sales numbers and ranking stats.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I agree because as we know, X-books sell better digitally than print. And I have to imagine digital continues to increase in market share.
    From what I know, physical sales are still the most important. The X-books sell well in digital, better than other books, but I don't think it outsells physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I honestly wish I could care even the smallest bit about sales numbers and ranking stats.
    Yeah, with incomplete data there's pretty much no point for readers to track it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    From what I know, physical sales are still the most important. The X-books sell well in digital, better than other books, but I don't think it outsells physical.
    You're right, my mistake. It was said that X-Books sell better than other books digitally, but not better than physical.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, with incomplete data there's pretty much no point for readers to track it imo.
    Well there is the added irony that sales don't necessarily reflect readership either way.

Physical single issue sales of Marvel and DC comics are noted to be these days either heavily driven by collectors for whom buying these releases are primarily a hobby or habbit based passion, not necessarily one of interest in the stories and characters, or speculators who buy them because of an often misplaced belief in eventual increasing value for resale purpose.

This has been a notable developed which started in the 1990's with the first great speculators boom and bust (mirroring that of the baseball card craze less than a decade before) and led to a situation in which the only group capable and willing to still buy and obtain these comics in significant numbers where the above mentioned adults driven by fond memory or resale profits.

Together with the comics increasingly being only obtainable in specialized shops too, they all but disappeared from the radar of the most numerical important buyer and readership for the genre.
    Kids, teenagers and young adults.
    With limited or downright no access to the comics, most of them became confortable in (or fans via) only consuming the material based on them. The cartoons, life action movies, video games and merchandise. Because these remained easier and cheaper to access.

Super hero comics in their own right were always a successfull product when they were essentialy one of these "fast food" style media products, focused on this large ever replenishing buyership, with the smaller staying adult audience on the periphery as bonus. But then Marvel and DC shifted to only aiming at the later (at least in the way it's sold) and it has led to the steady decline we can still observe now in the limited sales data. (Though a disconnected between writers and the majority of the potential buyership, uncertain audiences and decline in overall in quality of writing and editorial management certainly didn't help).

Which brings me to the subject of a digital readership.

Because while accessibility and prices of Marvel and DC comics became an issue that led to a steady decline in buyership and pop cultural blindness towards them, many people who still did became interested in reading the source material might have easily been swayed to seek alternate ways to read them via the methods provided by the internet.

A digital ghost readership so to speak, never reflected in either sales numbers, but still talking about the works positively or negatively, making it impossible to tell how well a title is actualy doing financialy anymore.

It's these cheaper and convinient ways to read Marvel and DC comics which also remain a problem when hoping for a shift towards a much more digital oriented buyership. Because without the drive of collecting or speculating on the value of the physical single issue copies, there might be no reason for these buyers to spend money on them at all.

So a decline in physical sales might not help or progress digital sales at all. Infact digital sales might further decline if the collectors audience jumps ship, as they might have weirdly also helped the digital sales via buying "second copies" to read.

You're right, my mistake. It was said that X-Books sell better than other books digitally, but not better than physical.
    Other marvel books or other comic books overall?
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-24-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Here is the best ways to look at those sales numbers and ignore the source of that link-who is very bias towards certain books.

1) Those are books SOLD to stores not books BOUGHT by people.

2) Not every store is required to order EVERY book. In fact many don't despite claiming Marvel and DC forces them to. That is only the case when it's about getting that ONE variant cover that is priced 2-10 times the cover price.

The system is messed up. Marvel MIGHT care about how many copies are SOLD to a person but they really care about how many copies that STORE is willing to BUY.

There is no problem despite that website screaming there is. Except the bias towards POC and LGBTQA+ lead books under Marvel and DC.
    Are they suppose to NOT make those books? Screaming who asked for a diverse Thunderbolt mini or calling a Moon Girl ONE shot a failure.

Elvira, Three Stooges, Barbarella and Bettie Page got books. Nobody complained. Yet certain books get complaints for existing at Marvel.

X-Men Red does NOT have to be number 1. It just has to last for long as Ewing wants to do it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Other marvel books or other comic books overall?
    Probably both.

As most ranking will list them under Marvel and then overall.

The issue with digital is those ranking ALWAYS change hourly.

So at midnight say the top books digitally are Shuri, Ironheart and X-23 (All New Wolverine) and they are beating Batman (which DID happen). However at 6 in the morning it's Ms marvel, Miles and Silkk doing it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here is the best ways to look at those sales numbers and ignore the source of that link-who is very bias towards certain books.

2) Not every store is required to order EVERY book. In fact many don't despite claiming Marvel and DC forces them to. That is only the case when it's about getting that ONE variant cover that is priced 2-10 times the cover price.

The system is messed up. Marvel MIGHT care about how many copies are SOLD to a person but they really care about how many copies that STORE is willing to BUY.

There is no problem despite that website screaming there is. Except the bias towards POC and LGBTQA+ lead books under Marvel and DC.
    Are they suppose to NOT make those books? Screaming who asked for a diverse Thunderbolt mini or calling a Moon Girl ONE shot a failure.

Elvira, Three Stooges, Barbarella and Bettie Page got books. Nobody complained. Yet certain books get complaints for existing at Marvel.

X-Men Red does NOT have to be number 1. It just has to last for long as Ewing wants to do it.
    Frankly, the writer's comments on those sales charts are a bit off-putting. The numbers alone tell a story and I don't think whining about this or that issue really adds any meaningful context. Furthermore, with the sales being made via multiple distributors these days these are far from accurate.

That said, they do provide SOME ballpark ideas on how some books are doing. Again, as this is data coming from just some stores, if we see X-Men Red at number 20 or number 40 it doesn't really tell us anything. But if we see Marauders or Knights of X sliding out of the top 100... that can give us a general idea that those books are not particularly successful.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Very well said especially when it comes to what comic book stores are ordering, or not ordering. I visited my local shop recently to check out their back-issue section and it was very small, compared to back in the day when I used to spend a good amount of time flipping through boxes. Their graphic novel section though was massive.

Astonishing Member

Very well said especially when it comes to what comic book stores are ordering, or not ordering. I visited my local shop recently to check out their back-issue section and it was very small, compared to back in the day when I used to spend a good amount of time flipping through boxes. Their graphic novel section though was massive.
    Graphic novels and runs collected in trades in general seem to have much easier time to find buyers over a longer period of time as opposed to the single issue "floppies" in their burst sales.

Also at least where i live (not the US) they can be found both in general book stores and shops specialized in sci-fi and fantasy media, giving them a much larger presence and obtainability. To say nothing of being sold on online book stores.
    I don't think i have to list the various reasons for that.

Which makes it problematic when the success of a title is still based on said burst sales as opposed to longterm lifetime sales, especialy considering that the very concept of the super hero comic "floppies" is not working anymore since the times have changed (the same can also be said about super hero comics as perpetual never ending stories).

The single issue floppies were the product of the newspaper stands and small convinience shops and sold accordingly. Like newspaper, magazine and pulp novels they were cheap products people would buy and then mostly throw away or otherwise treat with little regard. In this form they reached many readers, especialy youngesters on their way to school. Obviously this isn't the case anymore.

To say nothing of how comics were traditional published in europe and japan.

So it's no suprise while graphic novels and trades grow in prominence while floppies are shrinking.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-25-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Graphic novels and runs collected in trades in general seem to have much easier time to find buyers over a longer period of time as opposed to the single issue "floppies" in their burst sales.

Also at least where i live (not the US) they can be found both in general book stores and shops specialized in sci-fi and fantasy media, giving them a much larger presence and obtainability. To say nothing of being sold on online book stores.
    I don't think i have to list the various reasons for that.

Which makes it problematic when the success of a title is still based on said burst sales as opposed to longterm lifetime sales, especialy considering that the very concept of the super hero comic "floppies" is not working anymore since the times have changed (the same can also be said about super hero comics as perpetual never ending stories).

The single issue floppies were the product of the newspaper stands and small convinience shops and sold accordingly. Like newspaper, magazine and pulp novels they were cheap products people would buy and then mostly throw away or otherwise treat with little regard. In this form they reached many readers, especialy youngesters on their way to school. Obviously this isn't the case anymore.

To say nothing of how comics were traditional published in europe and japan.

So it's no suprise while graphic novels and trades grow in prominence while floppies are shrinking.
    I've thought about this too but I guess they can't bank on how well a trade will sell because of the time it takes until release. So they have to base their decisions on how single issues are doing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorSky View Post
    There’s some sales ranking information out there. Latest from August indicates that X-Men Red #5 was the 25th highest selling book in August 2022; which is pretty good. Adjective-less and Immortal are both selling more.

https://www.comicbookrevolution.com/...ales-rankings/
    The sales prove that a cliche is a cliche(*a Darkseid copy is a Darkseid copy after all) Despite selling bi weekly the first issue of each month's Judgement Day should sell more than another Crisis. But it didn't lol
    Last edited by Vishop; 09-26-2022 at 09:11 PM.

BANNED

They sell only 10 percent of physical or skeleton books