Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Default Why do many writers simply refuse to use Rachel while happily use Cable and Bishop?

Those two are far more convoluted than Rachel for sure so what's with the hesitation to utilize Rachel or actually have her lead a team? Heck those two have appeared in TV Shows and Bishop is even getting a Movie that should have been Rachel's Movie!

So seriously, what's the deal? Why does Rachel always get the short end of the stick or weak excuses made to not utilize her great character with many years of rich history and character friendships?

Also, whatever happened to the plot point that Rachel was literally the Chosen Child of the Phoenix and was created by Jean being made preggy by the Phoenix and Scott raising her as his own anyway?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I dont know, it seems Marvel feels they can never heavily focus on more than one redhead telepath. I'm just surprised we are allowed to have two Greys running around in the XU as it is.

Writers don't shy away from using her because of her convoluted history, but because they have no interest in writing her. Cable and Bishop are also generally more popular, or at the very least known, than her, which probably means a greater editorial push for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Writers don't shy away from using her because of her convoluted history, but because they have no interest in writing her. Cable and Bishop are also generally more popular, or at the very least known, than her, which probably means a greater editorial push for them.
    Rachel was pretty prominent years back, the issue is that they dropped her for some reason while keeping in Cable and even Bishop despite him turning into a Baby Killer and Multi-Universe destroyer.

So it's not Rachel's fault there. To be known in modern times she needs to be utilized but they aren't doing that. At least certain writers refuse to.

I remember that panel where the guy asked why Rachel didn't end AvsX and the guys on the panel were clueless and couldn't give a good excuse for why Rachel didn't just end things.

Amazing Member

Bishop really hasn't been in much since the Messiah War and series with Cable. He was in Uncanny X-Force and is now gone again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel was pretty prominent years back, the issue is that they dropped her for some reason while keeping in Cable and even Bishop despite him turning into a Baby Killer and Multi-Universe destroyer.

So it's not Rachel's fault there. To be known in modern times she needs to be utilized but they aren't doing that. At least certain writers refuse to.

I remember that panel where the guy asked why Rachel didn't end AvsX and the guys on the panel were clueless and couldn't give a good excuse for why Rachel didn't just end things.
    Cable and Bishop can get by quite a bit on the fact that they were in the '90's animated show, and they've maintained a relatively constant presence in the X-Books since the '90's. Rachel lost a lot of her prominence after leaving the X-Books for space, and the limbo she ended up in after returning certainly didn't help.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post

Didn't they keep Bishop so they could turn him into a maniac, rather than despite it?

Believe the rules are if you call out a writer specifically which I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Cable and Bishop can get by quite a bit on the fact that they were in the '90's animated show, and they've maintained a relatively constant presence in the X-Books since the '90's. Rachel lost a lot of her prominence after leaving the X-Books for space, and the limbo she ended up in after returning certainly didn't help.
    Space kills, yes but she's not in space anymore. She's on Earth and waiting to be utilized though sadly I heard that she's leaving the X-Men cast now... Gonna have to drop that book if that's the case.

Both Cable and Bishop were created at a time when the X-Men were at their peak, so they're well known. They have the stereotypical action hero vibe that Rachel doesn't have. Writers may also consider her a derivative of Jean Grey, and seeing as they already have two of those right now in Tean Jean and Hope, and thus have no use for her.

BANNED

Cable's a stereotypical '90s badass and most of our current set of writers are huge fans of the '90s era and Liefeldian characters in general, so of course he's gonna see panel time.

On the other hand, our current crop of writers, in general, are not fans of explaining complicated bits of any kind, let alone "kinda-sorta, alternate reality from the future daughters" like Rachel. Waaaay too much continuity and history for your typical present-day Marvel scribe.

She really doesn't offer much beyond what Jean Grey already does. At least with Cable, he has a penis and the techno-organic virus which makes him feel a lot different than Jean Grey. As for Bishop, I don't even see why he would be mentioned. He's a completely different type of character.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    She really doesn't offer much beyond what Jean Grey already does. At least with Cable, he has a penis and the techno-organic virus which makes him feel a lot different than Jean Grey. As for Bishop, I don't even see why he would be mentioned. He's a completely different type of character.
    Because they have the same powers? She's a different personality with different relationships. We can't get the same moments with Jean and Kitty that we get with Kitty and R'Chel.

BANNED

did you seriously just said that Cable is better than Rachel because he has a penis?

Did I really just read that "At least Cable has a penis and whateverwhatever" and Rachel is somehow inferior, character - wise, due to this fact?

*blinkblink*

Incredible Member

Thats like saying characters like Superboy, Nightwing, Wiccan,Polaris etc has nothing to offer because their powerset is similar a more popular character. A character is not all about powers but also about stories that can be written about said character. Rachel has a lot to offer in that regard.