Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Maybe if it was Ev and Laura instead of Bishop and Cable in the CotV mini...hmm.
    No!!! Ha. Just kidding. Kind of. I’m fine if they want to tag along though.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

LOL. Yupp she does. I wish Duggan was a better character writer and we got more insight into her and Ev's time in the Vault and how they've changed (apart from the surface aesthetics) because of it. Throughout his run there were some interesting character plot-beats that should have been explored more so than catering to the next event-du-jour. X-Men is supposedly happening in real time yet it feels as though nothing really important happens at all.
    It's certainly an odd book to be sure. At first glance there seems nothing wrong with it but then you realize the jumping from plot to completely different plot point and the wasting certain team members. Can anybody tell me something significant Magik has actually done so far? You can ask the same question for some of the previous members too. Yet if you are a fan of certain characters you won't see anything wrong. Again it's not bad but the other two books clearly feel more coherent than it.

Maybe if it was Ev and Laura instead of Bishop and Cable in the CotV mini...hmm.
    The X-Office is allergic to do obvious story-telling like this. No Rogue in Inferno, no Wanda in Judgement Day, nobody really addressing Magnetos death, etc.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    It's certainly an odd book to be sure. At first glance there seems nothing wrong with it but then you realize the jumping from plot to completely different plot point and the wasting certain team members. Can anybody tell me something significant Magik has actually done so far? You can ask the same question for some of the previous members too. Yet if you are a fan of certain characters you won't see anything wrong. Again it's not bad but the other two books clearly feel more coherent than it.
    Make sass and teleport people? She wasn't even that relevant to Dark Web which she was partially responsible for by putting Maddie in charge.

I do love Magik's newfound relationship with Jean. They have quickly become my favorite new duo this era

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The X-Office is allergic to do obvious story-telling like this. No Rogue in Inferno, no Wanda in Judgement Day, nobody really addressing Magnetos death, etc.
    Exactatiously. And the same is obvious when he was on Marauders.

It's like reading by numbers except some of the numbers are not where they're supposed to be and others are completely missing. Take the Jott disagreement for example...it clearly has consequences and import but instead of expanding on it a little deeper (give it some emotional weight for the characters involved) it's a caption box in the following issue.

Like I said, it's not unexpected especially coming off of his Marauders but...you stick with it long enough the cracks and faults are more glaring and intolerable.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ohhhh I find his X-men much more enjoyable than Maraurders and I think he's doing a far better job utilizing a large cast here than over there or even his Year 1 team. He's better at juggling multiple plot threads too, planting seeds and picking up on them later. Overall I think Duggan's run is underrated for what he is doing here and I think years from now it will be one of those that will become more appreciated with age
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-01-2023 at 02:21 PM.

I'm enjoying it for what I know it is...as I did with his Marauders...I just wish it was, better. Because it could have been so much better.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

No Cable in the big return of Apocalypse story… in X-men Red of all places, the very book he’s been appearing in!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Even Gods can be fallible.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Exactatiously. And the same is obvious when he was on Marauders.

It's like reading by numbers except some of the numbers are not where they're supposed to be and others are completely missing. Take the Jott disagreement for example...it clearly has consequences and import but instead of expanding on it a little deeper (give it some emotional weight for the characters involved) it's a caption box in the following issue.

Like I said, it's not unexpected especially coming off of his Marauders but...you stick with it long enough the cracks and faults are more glaring and intolerable.
    Agreed, he writes my favorite version of Cyke and I love his Synch. But his stories are mostly by the numbers little elaboration or introspection. The characters are mostly reactive, or disappear, a select few have the entire narratives' focus. Perfectly, inoffsensive and overall not at all a bad book, it's genuinely just frustrating because with a few tweaks it could be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    No Cable in the big return of Apocalypse story… in X-men Red of all places, the very book he’s been appearing in!
    Granted Cable was already appearing in that book, I dont think he is needed for that story. His story arc with Apocalypse was concluded years ago and he has little connection to this current incarnation and the mythos which have since been developed. Whats more jarring is Cable not being involved in Dark X-men (I hope he appears) considering when we last saw Maddie she had gained most of Jean's memories of raising him. The logical next step is for the two to finally be reunited and i think there's more weight there than trying to go the Apocalypse route for him

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Agreed, he writes my favorite version of Cyke and I love his Synch. But his stories are mostly by the numbers little elaboration or introspection. The characters are mostly reactive, or disappear, a select few have the entire narratives' focus. Perfectly, inoffsensive and overall not at all a bad book, it's genuinely just frustrating because with a few tweaks it could be great!
    I will say he's done wonders for Forge, a character I never cared for. He's made him more relevant and useful than he has been in quite some time. Though I imagine if Beast wasnt evil, Forge's material would be going to him

Extraordinary Member

In each story Magik does less and less. In the Judgement Day tie-ins she leads the assault on the Kaiju and saves a group of astronauts. In the Vault story she teleports Firtestar to Avengers mansion, gets the first good hit on Perro which makes him retreat, and then puts the device in his ear which puts him back to sleep. In Dark Web as a child in the mindscape she hits Apocalypse with a stick and breaks him, and in the finale she ends the fight with the demons by teleporting all of them at once and gets the final blow which defeats Chasm. In the latest Brood story she does nothing but teleport people.

Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Latorre Variant

I love how Rachel got a variant cover for the issue of Selene's return. Fate.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!