Page 1 of 306 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default X-Men '97: The Animated Series

The 1990s “X-Men: The Animated Series” is getting a revival on Disney+ with a premiere sometime 2023, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Currently called “X-Men ’97,” the revival will pick up where the classic show left off, with several cast members from “X-Men: The Animated Series” are returning; some will reprise their original roles and others will step into entirely new roles.

Returning cast members include: Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Adrian Hough, Christopher Britton, Catherine Disher, Chris Potter, Alison Sealy-Smith, Alyson Court.

“X-Men ‘97” is also welcoming a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, AJ LoCascio.

Head writer and executive producer on the series is Beau DeMayo. Supervising director is Jake Castorena and supervising producer is Charley Feldman.

Consulting on the new series are “X-Men: The Animated Series” writers Eric and Julia Lewald, and director Larry Houston.

The original “X-Men: The Animated Series” consisted of 76 episodes that aired across fives seasons between 1992 and 1997. It is currently available on Disney+. The animated series is credited for introducing the Marvel comic team to a mainstream audience, which arguably helped set it up for its 2000 live-action film. That film, starring Patrick Stewart and a then-unknown Hugh Jackman, started the early days of the superhero boom.

Houston first spoke about a possible revival in a 2019 report in The Hollywood Reporter, which said that the creative team was putting together a pitch to continue where the series left off.

https://www.thewrap.com/x-men-97-199...d-series-2023/

Last edited by Mercury; 11-16-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added promo art.

Eh I wish it was an entirely new show but I'll give it a chance and hope that it's good. Might need to rewatch the entire original show on Disney+ one of these days despite not caring for it much

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Don't forget: it's "Marvel Studios" X-Men 97

Incredible Member

This is great news! I'm looking forward to seeing whatever storylines they manage to adapt this time. They have decades of material to draw from.

BANNED

Eh.

Oh well, I guess it's not surprising given that we have seen the designs already.

I don't know how I feel about this yet. It seems regressive.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Pass. I still am embittered that Rachel was removed from the Days of Future Past storyline for Bishop because "gunz". I would much rather see a more modern approach to some of these stories than what we had 30 years ago.
    It was great for what it was in the 90's but nothing about continuing this universe is appealing right now.

Welcome to Disney+, X-Men, Hope You Survive the Experience!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

could be interesting, if it follows on from where the old show left off it might adapt storylines and characters that we got in the comics since then.

Yaaas! Love this news.

Honestly? Given its faithfulness to the source material, I have more faith in this than a new show, since Disney would muck up a fresh slate.

The old show can still appeal to kids too. My kids actually liked the series (or at least the Covered with Scorpions episode.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I just had sort of a flash of an idea. This animated series will pick up where the original left off and at the end of season one they will face a threat that will either lead to an alternate universe or change reality. This new reality will be what gets adapted for the films.

I wonder if they'll finally use Rachel and Kitty? Both were adapted out of the original show, with Bishop and Jubilee respectively taking their roles in storylines (they also had Beast and Rogue sub in for Nightcrawler and Colossus for some adaptation stories, but those characters did still appear).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I would’ve preferred a new series. What I’m about to say is sacrilege but aside from a few episodes, the 90’s X-Men animated series isn’t very good, and is all kinds of overrated. So I’m disappointed in the news. I want a new take on a mythos, not a nostalgia rehash of an old series. I’ll still watch but I’m not excited about it very much. Happy for the fans of this show though.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I wonder if they'll finally use Rachel and Kitty? Both were adapted out of the original show, with Bishop and Jubilee respectively taking their roles in storylines (they also had Beast and Rogue sub in for Nightcrawler and Colossus for some adaptation stories, but those characters did still appear).
    Rachel did appear as a trapped psychic in the final scenes with Apocalypse, but unless they do something to rewrite the Days of Future Past episodes she's been erased from her own story. Same with Kitty unless they do more flashback issues to where Kitty is being Logan's sidekick before Jubilee appears. For the most part it's hard to shoehorn any mutants or characters that appeared in their iconic comic issues/stories in this series as the writers bastardized the source materials for the series.