Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I love Nocenti but that Storm 01 was all kinds of awful. Claremont remains...Claremont that is to say mediocre. Weezy would be the one to really serve I think because she's very hands on familiar with Jean and she's writing her with her current status as a Krakoan in this era in mind. The other two are just nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. I've moved on happily from the 80's and 90's...don't need to go back then.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Storm #1 was great.

Guggenheim and Bunn’s runs were so much better than Krakoa era. They didnt destroy Moira and Nature Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Guggenheim and Bunn’s runs were so much better than Krakoa era. They didnt destroy Moira and Nature Girl.
    No they werent. Dont lie to yourself. Ill say that some of Bunn's stuff was on par with what we've gotten this era but Guggs is still one of the worse writers in X-history. Gold had about one good issue and tha was the wedding. Everything else was trash. Everything about Krakoa is not trash

I would posit the messiah era was worse because it tried to ruin Bishop and Cyclops amongst many others.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I would posit the messiah era was worse because it tried to ruin Bishop and Cyclops amongst many others.
    I think it did ruin Bishop but I dont think it did or tried to ruin Cyclops. It repositioned him and made him more important to the entire franchise than he had been in a while. It arguably was the last time he actually flourished as a character. He was alright under Bendis but everything since has paled in comparison to how he was treated during the Messiah/Utopia years

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think it did ruin Bishop but I dont think it did or tried to ruin Cyclops. It repositioned him and made him more important to the entire franchise than he had been in a while. It arguably was the last time he actually flourished as a character. He was alright under Bendis but everything since has paled in comparison to how he was treated during the Messiah/Utopia years
    I consider the messiah era including Scott killing Xavier and the phoenix five. Focus isn't always a good thing, and i wouldn't exactly say he flourished. He did grow as a character and change, i will give you that. But i definitely think the overall image of the character took a hit during that story

i think that's why "Brick no jutsu" was so entertaining for so many.
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-13-2023 at 04:53 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

Yeah, the franchise will fail without Moira and Nature Girl for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yeah, the franchise will fail without Moira and Nature Girl for sure.
    all those Moira and Nature Girl fans must be devastated.
    Last edited by Exodus; 06-14-2023 at 12:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The only saving grace of Guggenheim's run is that it had no lasting effects and pretty much everything about it could be forgotten the moment he left, so all the characters who were unfortunate enough to appear under his pen could recover from how badly he wrote everyone. That's something that can't be said about other bad runs, from Simonsen's New Mutants to Lemire's Extraordinary X-Men to the current X-Force, where when characters are written poorly the damage lasts for a long time afterwards. But when judged purely on the quality of the writing, issue by issue, month by month, Guggenheim is the worst of the post M-Day writers by far and 1 of the 2 worst comicbook writers I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The only saving grace of Guggenheim's run is that it had no lasting effects and pretty much everything about it could be forgotten the moment he left, so all the characters who were unfortunate enough to appear under his pen could recover from how badly he wrote everyone. That's something that can't be said about other bad runs, from Simonsen's New Mutants to Lemire's Extraordinary X-Men to the current X-Force, where when characters are written poorly the damage lasts for a long time afterwards. But when judged purely on the quality of the writing, issue by issue, month by month, Guggenheim is the worst of the post M-Day writers by far and 1 of the 2 worst comicbook writers I've ever had the misfortune to read.
    Just curious, who would you say was written terribly under lemire. I mean we know he could not get rid of the terrigen gas, so aside from the backdrop of the character i am curious who was written bad. full disclosure i enjoyed the run as he basically had to navigate the inhumans stories and thanks to that imo, it saved the x-men from being wiped out as he created sympathy for the characters struggling with mpox and finding a place to live since marvel didn't want them main stream.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Just curious, who would you say was written terribly under lemire. I mean we know he could not get rid of the terrigen gas, so aside from the backdrop of the character i am curious who was written bad. full disclosure i enjoyed the run as he basically had to navigate the inhumans stories and thanks to that imo, it saved the x-men from being wiped out as he created sympathy for the characters struggling with mpox and finding a place to live since marvel didn't want them main stream.
    Scott and Emma are the ones who were terribly written during that period and whose damage was long-lasting. Lemire was definitely hamstrung by the editorially mandated terrigen plot and the worst aspects of that era are on the editors and not him. Even so, he wasn't exactly great when writing non-terrigen-related plots since his writing was pretty dry and humorless and the emotional moments never hit like they were supposed to. The Sapna story was his big chance to have a story that would be remembered as a classic X-Men tragedy and it ended up as nothing more than a forgotten footnote because he didn't do what was needed to properly build up to the tragic end.

Guggenheim's is the worst X-men run ever.

It was all about mediocre nostalgia and self-reference.

Fantastic Member

guggenheim run was indeed terrrible but we have to give all these guys a little break lemire, bunn seole, guugenhein and even bendis the corporate restrictions they were working under in regards to the x-men and the crazy rules and mandates they had to follow and adhere to were downright insane

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    guggenheim run was indeed terrrible but we have to give all these guys a little break lemire, bunn seole, guugenhein and even bendis the corporate restrictions they were working under in regards to the x-men and the crazy rules and mandates they had to follow and adhere to were downright insane
    Yeah, this is always something to consider before you bash a run. Except for Austen's, that was just terrible.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.