Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Synch/Everett Thomas: Master of Mutation Appreciation 2024

Synch is currently co-leader of the X-Men, using his survival expertise from his time in the Vault to coordinate plans for the resistance. Having spent centuries surviving in the hostile environment, the retention of his memories makes Everett one of the most experienced X-Men of all time. This has earned him the respect and camaraderie of his fellow mutants as well as the likes of Captain America, Iron Man, and Spider-Man.

First Appearance: X-Men (Vol. 2) #36 (September, 1994)

Powers:
    Synchronistic Power Replication: He possesses an aura that allows him to be "in synch" with other superhumans in his immediate vicinity, thereby gaining any powers they possess. When Synch uses his powers, a multi-colored aura appears around his body. The aura is caused by the energies he is absorbing splitting the ambient light around him, which causes the described effect. Synch doesn't need just a physical person to copy powers. Tissue samples from superhumans are enough for him to copy their powers.

In a number of cases his manifestation of their powers may be more powerful or versatile, such as flight while synched with Chamber or his aura becoming a protective shield while syncing Penance.

After being resurrected by Krakoa's the Five, Synch's baseline powers were amplified and he can now retain a "memory" of the people he was in synch with. This put Synch up for consideration for being an Omega mutant.

Aura Tracking: He was able to track other mutants by allowing his aura to lock on to a mutant's biosignature, and the aura extends in the general direction in which the mutant is located.
    With his recent resurrection on Krakoa, he has seemingly transcended his past limitations. He has grown in power, and moved on from only absorbing mutant powers, but to all beings' powers.
    Last edited by JB; 01-16-2024 at 03:15 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Never has Everett appeared in so many books at once. During the Fall of X we've seen him in the flagship X-Men, X-Force, Ms. Marvel: The New Mutant, Invincible Iron Man, Dark X-Men and the Firestar focused X-Men Unlimited story.

Synch hit the ground running in 2024 having appeared in Rise of the House of X #1 as the professor of a future X-Men team. He had a standout moment when he recalled Apocalypse's powers to wreck Nimrod's face.

This week he and Talon will be the focus of X-Men #30 as they set off to encounter with the High Evolutionary, potentially close a long-standing plot thread.

On top of all of that, we'll ALSO be seeing Everett in action in next month's Fall of the House of X #2.

May 2024 be a great year for one of my favorites, Synch!

Prior to Krakoa, I've only heard of Synch but hadn't read Gen X, so I didn't know much of him. I think he's a really interesting character, good leader and has great powers as well, I'm just not too fond of the drawback (getting old while recalling powers). I guess that's a downside of not being omega or maybe just how his powers work, I don't know.

This era has put him in the spotlight and it's definitely great seeing him interacting with characters like Jean Grey, Cyclops, Cap. America, Shadowcat, Laura, so it goes, and also present in so many books. I mean, he was in the main title, it doesn't get better than that when it comes to X-men.
    To my knowledge, no other character from his time has ever been this prominent, maybe Monet. It must be a buffet for his fans!

I really wanted to see Everett in the movies, the rainbow aura effect would be awesome if done properly!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what 2024 has in store for Synch. I really hope he has a prominent role in the new era.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

My guy!!!!!!!!!!!! they better not write my guy off this year with the new status quo
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Synch's rise to prominence has been one of the best things about this era. I really hope he sticks around.

I miss Synch's aura. Why don't we see it anymore? It should be on him at all times IMO and could be used (by artist/colorist) to show motion/movement like a light trail.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I miss Synch's aura. Why don't we see it anymore? It should be on him at all times IMO.
    Yeah, there's been a movement toward him adopting the energy signature of the power he's manifesting at the time.
    I'm not opposed since I imagine its easier to distinguish visually for the reader, rather than regularly having Synch announce his synching, but I WOULD enjoy seeing a transition or blending.

Like in the most recent preview page, he appears to be adopting Polaris's energy signature with the thin wavy green lines. It would be cool to see the rainbow color added to a portion of those lines. The green can be the dominant color but it would be nice to see his signature spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yeah, there's been a movement toward him adopting the energy signature of the power he's manifesting at the time.
    I'm not opposed since I imagine its easier to distinguish visually for the reader, rather than regularly having Synch announce his synching, but I WOULD enjoy seeing a transition or blending.

Like in the most recent preview page, he appears to be adopting Polaris's energy signature with the thin wavy green lines. It would be cool to see the rainbow color added to a portion of those lines. The green can be the dominant color but it would be nice to see his signature spectrum.
    It should also be something he cannot turn off. it would give him a bit of a weakness all characters should have IMO.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Psych1c View Post
    Prior to Krakoa, I've only heard of Synch but hadn't read Gen X, so I didn't know much of him. I think he's a really interesting character, good leader and has great powers as well, I'm just not too fond of the drawback (getting old while recalling powers). I guess that's a downside of not being omega or maybe just how his powers work, I don't know.

This era has put him in the spotlight and it's definitely great seeing him interacting with characters like Jean Grey, Cyclops, Cap. America, Shadowcat, Laura, so it goes, and also present in so many books. I mean, he was in the main title, it doesn't get better than that when it comes to X-men.
    To my knowledge, no other character from his time has ever been this prominent, maybe Monet. It must be a buffet for his fans!

I really wanted to see Everett in the movies, the rainbow aura effect would be awesome if done properly!
    I'm hoping the issue with rapidly aging while recalling powers not in his vicinity somehow gets solved during his upcoming visit with the HE.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

I was thinking the same. It would be so coolz if the Karma signature was in his rainbow colours.

On another note...that Dauterman Card variant is one of the very best things EV-errrrrr!!!!
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-16-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I feel like the aging drawback may have also been added to minimize the awkward gap between him and Talon in addition to being a power limitation. Noto has him looking middle aged in that preview panel from X-Men Monday, and I don’t care for it.

I want to drop Talon like a bag of dirt and get Ev written by someone who does good character work not just cool feats.

And I always want to see his rainbow aura more.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I personally don't mind the aging drawback to him using his powers in extreme instances. I like when characters have imposed limits. Also...one way around that drawback would be in theory, to synch with Laura and use her healing factor to rejuvenate.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!