Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Never fails. A youtube channel I casually follow talks about this. If something offends us as a group, we're "overreacting." But let it be any other group of people being insulted, and the gloves come off.

Here's the vid where said person talks about it when Connor McGregor's mom thought it was funny to do blackface for Halloween.

https://youtu.be/efBg5J5zkxE

And you have people, of course, defending it as a joke or "just a costume." When it's black, it never matters.
    Very sad but it's damn sure true.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Is it too late for them to just put the variant covers on the following month's issues so they aren't released in February? These covers are irrelevant to the stories within so it makes no difference if they contain issue 7 instead of issue 6. It may be too late to make that change, but given how Marvel's been delaying books so much the last 2 years, they could also delay some of these issues into March so it's not just a February thing.
    They did delay the Predator and alien covers.

And there are books that took pre-orders that never got officially axed-New Warriors. Because Marvel was still taking subscription orders for it for a good 2 years.

The Final Order Cutoff for the POTA covers is either November 14 or 21.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I just stopped in to say this!

It will never not be weird to me as a black person, we are not allowed to be offended at anything, everything is "unintentional" or a "joke" and we're often told how we should feel about these topics....except when it refers to other minority groups. Then we must investigate, research, and give voices to those groups in order to reduce the opportunities for prejudice.
    You mean like this???

It is FUNNY DC had a variant cover issue mishap and it got FIXED.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/30/11199...-green-lantern

The covers, which were revealed in June, feature several of DC's superheroes surrounded by, holding, or eating a variety of Latin American foods such as tacos, flan, tamales and platanos fritos. Comic book fans on Twitter, specifically Latino fans, aren't too happy with this interpretation of DC's heroes.

Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez, who is the creator of his own comic book series La Borinqueña and has collaborated with DC Comics in the past, told NPR that he believes these covers are "tasteless."

"I feel that it is incredibly tone-deaf — almost like a parody of our culture when we're reduced down to food, you know? And that, street food," Miranda-Rodriguez said. "It's very, very codified for me. But it also speaks to how unaware they are that this is coded, that this is offensive, that it is tasteless. And it feels very exhausting."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...-covers-again/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

a lot of False Equivalences
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Never fails. A youtube channel I casually follow talks about this. If something offends us as a group, we're "overreacting." But let it be any other group of people being insulted, and the gloves come off.

Here's the vid where said person talks about it when Connor McGregor's mom thought it was funny to do blackface for Halloween.

https://youtu.be/efBg5J5zkxE

And you have people, of course, defending it as a joke or "just a costume." When it's black, it never matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean like this???

It is FUNNY DC had a variant cover issue mishap and it got FIXED.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/30/11199...-green-lantern

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...-covers-again/
    Exactly!!

To be quite honest I could care less about those specific covers, I'm just tired of black voices being ignored. For prespective a "black mermaid" is a step too far, but ape covers during Black History Month, is a casual coincidence....

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Exactly!!

To be quite honest I could care less about those specific covers, I'm just tired of black voices being ignored. For prespective a "black mermaid" is a step too far, but ape covers during Black History Month, is a casual coincidence....
    And I doubt some of the higher-ups in companies don't know what they're doing. Trump's reign of terror made racism cool again. In general, society is taking more & more steps back into the dark ages.

Another example would be WWE deciding to bring racist Hulk Hogan to RAW during BHM. They knew full well what they were doing there. Along with having him hosting WM with a black man (Titus).

I just can't buy that folks running any of these companies & offices are not aware of what they're doing. I don't buy that they're just tone-deaf.

Spectacular Member

There is also the first issue cover to the new Bishop mini released that same month. On which a bunch of the white x-men are depicted as Africans / African Americans and those X-men are more prominently on the cover than the actual main black character of the book, namely Bishop. This combined with the planet of the apes covers has me seriously doubting what the hell Marvel is using to think about these things. It’s clearly not their brains.

nope...have to conserve my brain cells.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2022 at 08:32 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Do people in here just read the title and not know what the Apes in planet of the apes looked like, because nobody would look at the character designs and think it's meant to be racist.

Anyways, back on topic, it's seeming more likely that the next big thing for the X-Men is going to be the Mutants leaving Earth and going to space to deal with the Phalanx stuff they set up and In disappointed because that **** is booooring. I fell of Hickman's run because it was so much exposition and fucking infographics. Just when Duggan gets stuff back on track it sounds like something's gonna happen that'll make everybody leave Earth to Arakko or the Shiar or something. Obviously that won't be permanent but come the **** on

In Hickman's PoX the Phalanx/Dominion came to Earth so the mutants don't necessarily have to leave the planet.
    Also, Arakko is already a mutant "outpost" so technically some have already left Planet Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    In Hickman's PoX the Phalanx/Dominion came to Earth so the mutants don't necessarily have to leave the planet.
    Also, Arakko is already a mutant "outpost" so technically some have already left Planet Earth.
    The books/previews seem to be hinting at mutants leaving Earth for space. Essex/Stasis saying to Scott that the Mutants destiny lies in space, the stuff with Brand in Red and stealing the cradle for Moira, Magneto saying they'll need Arakko for "what comes next", the return of Phalanx stuff in Legion, etc. Like it's sounding like in Fall of X something happens and Krakoa/the Mutants leave Earth for Arakko

Exactatiously.
    I could be wrong but I don't think every single mutant will leave Krakoa behind to live on Arakko.
    And....
    That pending battle (if it does come to pass) is/was already set to happen in immediate Space. That's a given, not a surprise.

I personally love X-Men in Space adventures...and I'm really looking forward to something other than the tedious humans hate mutants on-earth conflicts. I want a huge vast encompassing planets and aliens Saga....and hopefully Ewing will be the one to helm it.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-09-2022 at 09:37 PM.

Idk I don't see how Wolverine is gonna be a better book if he's in like Pluto or some bullshit. The human mutant dynamic is the most interesting stuff so abandoning it entirely to make it like fucking Guardians of the Galaxy is dumb to me. It works in Red, that doesn't mean every book should be red. X-Men as galactic conquerors is boring to me.

Like Dark Web looks like a lot of fun and that story would never be possible if the X-Men become martians. The idea of the Mutants ditching earth just feels like it's even more in the opposite of the X-Mens founding ideals than even the early Hickman stuff was
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 11-09-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Idk I don't see how Wolverine is gonna be a better book if he's in like Pluto or some bullshit. The human mutant dynamic is the most interesting stuff so abandoning it entirely to make it like fucking Guardians of the Galaxy is dumb to me. It works in Red, that doesn't mean every book should be red. X-Men as galactic conquerors is boring to me.

Like Dark Web looks like a lot of fun and that story would never be possible if the X-Men become martians. The idea of the Mutants ditching earth just feels like it's even more in the opposite of the X-Mens founding ideals than even the early Hickman stuff was
    Nothing I've read even hints that this is a possible direction.

Space shenanigans in XMRed (and possibly IXM), yes.
    Expanding mutant presence throughout the galaxy, absolutely.
    Line-wide Galactic Conquerors? No.