BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    i'm mostly just sick of OML. i like the character, but he does not need to be in every book. this is why people turned on the real wolverine. he was in too much
    Wolverine is like Spidey, hes the mascot of marvel or one of the mascots and his appearance pushes popularity on the x titles like a iconic character would.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I think Illyana’s new suit it a welcome change but I’d rather see her in the graduation costume.
    Yes take her from having a unique look back to her generic dated look from the 80s that has no personality and that anyone could wear.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    So the soulsword gets another new look as well.
    I loved the Bachalo Buster Sword

But I love Dauterman's design

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Yes take her from having a unique look back to her generic dated look from the 80s that has no personality and that anyone could wear.
    Agree. New design is bland old uniform of New Mutants with some random decorative armor pieces added randomly to it. And the sword now also look as if it is just a random sword she picked somewhere instead of soulsword unique to her. Bachalo design for both costume and sword were much better, they made Magik easily recognizable. I always thought it was great design, didn't know what there people who dislike it.

Bachalo's design sort of showed what Magik moved on from New Mutants and is no longer a student but a full-fledged hero on her own. The new design is IMHO is a step back, I think these old uniforms should be completely purged and never appear again on any character; they are too bland and boring. It is always baffled me why New Mutants still wear their old uniforms instead of having some unique costumes for each of them.

Yeah, I hate how the New Mutants seem perpetually stuck in the yellow outfits. It’s like they’re never allowed to fully graduate.

Extraordinary Member

The Bachalo outfit is one of the worst costumes ever designed. It says nothing about the character and makes no sense from any standpoint. Its only purpose is to appeal to the male gaze and it looks like Emma's leftovers. Turning the armor into just a collection of black spikes is another knock against it, and the stupid surfboard design just turns the soul sword into a club or baseball bat that is only good for wide swings and can't be used with any kind of finesse. It was a mistake from day one and it would have been far better for Illyana to just stick to the old training outfit just to keep her armor silver and ornate. In-universe the only possible explanation for the outfit's existence is that Emma designed it and Illyana just went along with it because she doesn't care. There is no universe in which Illyana would deliberately design a costume to look like that. Being more focused on armor than showing as much of of her boobs and butt as the artist can get away with and having the armor be gold instead of black make the new costume a million times better than Bachalo's atrocity. Plus it symbolizes her overcoming her years of trauma and abuse instead of symbolizing nothing more than Bachalo's refusal to draw women with their clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The Bachalo outfit is one of the worst costumes ever designed. It says nothing about the character and makes no sense from any standpoint. Its only purpose is to appeal to the male gaze and it looks like Emma's leftovers. Turning the armor into just a collection of black spikes is another knock against it, and the stupid surfboard design just turns the soul sword into a club or baseball bat that is only good for wide swings and can't be used with any kind of finesse. It was a mistake from day one and it would have been far better for Illyana to just stick to the old training outfit just to keep her armor silver and ornate. In-universe the only possible explanation for the outfit's existence is that Emma designed it and Illyana just went along with it because she doesn't care. There is no universe in which Illyana would deliberately design a costume to look like that. Being more focused on armor than showing as much of of her boobs and butt as the artist can get away with and having the armor be gold instead of black make the new costume a million times better than Bachalo's atrocity. Plus it symbolizes her overcoming her years of trauma and abuse instead of symbolizing nothing more than Bachalo's refusal to draw women with their clothes on.
    Quoted for truth, saved for posterity and printed so that it never gets forgotten, Great post!
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I love the new Illyana look! I especially like the Soul Sword look. I was never a fan of the huge anime look of the sword in the Bachalo design.

Preach.
    Bachalo's recent designs all either look like the Emma/Illyana/Lady Mastermind costumes or the Tempus miniskirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

SOLID assessment
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Quoted for truth, saved for posterity and printed so that it never gets forgotten, Great post!
    And SOLID reply! hahaha.

Yeah, I don't like Bachalo's design either. He has become too repetitive in his designs. But I was hoping we 'd get something more fresh and unique than another yellow New Mutants outfit.
    The one good thing from Bachalo's concept is that she wasn't visually tied to her teenage years anymore.

The real tragedy is that the color combination WORKS. Its visually striking (just like Nightcrawler's iconic red/black/white suit and its many iterations) but the training uniform association often impedes the satisfaction of many readers, stunting celebration for "new" designs.

I won't have my copy of the issue for several more hours but I'm hopeful the STORY will dispel any residual distaste in the mouths of readers who struggle to embrace this aesthetic shift. I'd hate for THIS outfit to become the new "Jean's GREEN DRESS" discourse into eternity.

The REAL challenge is getting colorists to honor the distinct contrast between the soft yellow of the suit, the pale yellow of her hair and the WARM tone of the armor. If that can't be achieved, then my girl is gonna bleed together looking like some Rainbow Bright/She-Ra Princess of Power reject.

Now that Illyana has a new outfit, I'm absolutely RAVENOUS for Dauterman to do a outfits-thru-the-ages cover for her next. The man never misses. And he's savvy enough to do the research and include some forgotten gems.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-17-2022 at 05:29 AM.

I wish the graduation costumes had become iconic looks for The NMs.

graduation_new_mutants_lineup_by_lucianovecchio_ddzmjia-fullview.jpg
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I loved the Bachalo Buster Sword

But I love Dauterman's design
    Even if it was made of cardboard she'd never be able to swing that from back there.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I wish the graduation costumes had become iconic looks for The NMs.

graduation_new_mutants_lineup_by_lucianovecchio_ddzmjia-fullview.jpg
    with the exception of magik, these are all HOT garbage.

I am so glad they existed for only an issue.

Wolfsbane and Sunspot in particular were walking tragedies