I'm in wait and see mode. I want to see how it all plays out before deciding how I feel about it. At the moment I'm indifferent cause we don't know very much.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Kampala becoming a mutant is fine, but it would dumb if they changed her powers to match the MCU version, as is rumored. Does Marvel have statistics to support that this sort of movie synergy actually boosts comic sales? I guess it must in some way, since they’ve been doing it for a decade at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Kampala becoming a mutant is fine, but it would dumb if they changed her powers to match the MCU version, as is rumored. Does Marvel have statistics to support that this sort of movie synergy actually boosts comic sales? I guess it must in some way, since they’ve been doing it for a decade at this point.
    Honestly, I hate synergy, but thinking about it as someone who is supposed to be a marketing expert (lol), you really don't want brand inconsistency because people get tripped up over really simple complexities or misalignments. Also, as X-Men fans, those of us who do not worship corporations to the point of denying reality anyway, we learned the very, very, very, very hard way that the way something is branded makes a BIG difference when it comes to licensing legalities and perceptions.

Just making up an example that I think is probably true, if I license you to make Inhumans products, you expect Kamala, but I want ALOOOOT more money for Kamala's image than I do for Long Hair Redhead Lady and Mean Voice Guy and the rest of the Inhumans. I'm not branding Ms. Marvel with them if I don't have to, especially since we have done focus testing, and besides Kamala Khan, nobody likes that shit. lol

It's a good question and JDW did an interview recently where he said while he doesn't know exact numbers, the MCU hasn't moved the needle in comic sales in any significant way that he can see. I think comics sales in general are continuing their slow decline.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It's a good question and JDW did an interview recently where he said while he doesn't know exact numbers, the MCU hasn't moved the needle in comic sales in any significant way that he can see. I think comics sales in general are continuing their slow decline.
    I have always been vocal that chasing the MCU is not going to bring in a large amount of new readers. It is not advertising (i.e., there is no attempt to bring awareness to a product). However, every day people are discovering comics or making the decision to go read their first. Having something recognizable, whether it is on the new release rack or the bookstore, will get that new reader to try something from that publisher. Even without the consideration of new readers, existing readers can find something from another medium interesting and then transfer that interest back to comics. Maybe a change in a film adaptation ends up being what renews hype in the comics.

X-Men #24 trading card variant

Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I like Old Lady Laura.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Honestly, I hate synergy, but thinking about it as someone who is supposed to be a marketing expert (lol), you really don't want brand inconsistency because people get tripped up over really simple complexities or misalignments. Also, as X-Men fans, those of us who do not worship corporations to the point of denying reality anyway, we learned the very, very, very, very hard way that the way something is branded makes a BIG difference when it comes to licensing legalities and perceptions.

Just making up an example that I think is probably true, if I license you to make Inhumans products, you expect Kamala, but I want ALOOOOT more money for Kamala's image than I do for Long Hair Redhead Lady and Mean Voice Guy and the rest of the Inhumans. I'm not branding Ms. Marvel with them if I don't have to, especially since we have done focus testing, and besides Kamala Khan, nobody likes that shit. lol
    Sad for the Inhumans. But Happy for Kamala.

At the end when they try to push them at expense of the xmen. was the thing that hurt the brand the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I like Old Lady Laura.
    Better not say that to her face. Despite her age shes still got it
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't think the Kamala change to mutancy, if that's actually happening, is damaging or changes anything materially, even if it's a blatant "because corporate said so."

But I'm pretty William Tecumseh when it comes to the inhumans brand and don't mind if its characters get co-opted. Plus Kamala's fun. Welcome to the X.
    Hey, as long as Kamala gets to go on her merry way and back to her normal adventures, but I doubt that's how it's going to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have always been vocal that chasing the MCU is not going to bring in a large amount of new readers. It is not advertising (i.e., there is no attempt to bring awareness to a product). However, every day people are discovering comics or making the decision to go read their first. Having something recognizable, whether it is on the new release rack or the bookstore, will get that new reader to try something from that publisher. Even without the consideration of new readers, existing readers can find something from another medium interesting and then transfer that interest back to comics. Maybe a change in a film adaptation ends up being what renews hype in the comics.
    Somehow I'm not sure they're going to be providing a good jumping on point for her here.

Hey is easy.

Put a Krakoan gate in New Jersey Kamala Home.

Done. add Dust and some other x men character to her cast and make them friends and then best friends. you add her to the X and perserve her cast and relationship.

I dont think it boosts comic sales in any significant way but they do it to make it more accessible for new or lapsed readers that want to check out the character from their MCU projects

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Better not say that to her face. Despite her age shes still got it
    LOL. Yupp she does. I wish Duggan was a better character writer and we got more insight into her and Ev's time in the Vault and how they've changed (apart from the surface aesthetics) because of it. Throughout his run there were some interesting character plot-beats that should have been explored more so than catering to the next event-du-jour. X-Men is supposedly happening in real time yet it feels as though nothing really important happens at all.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    LOL. Yupp she does. I wish Duggan was a better character writer and we got more insight into her and Ev's time in the Vault and how they've changed (apart from the surface aesthetics) because of it. Throughout his run there were some interesting character plot-beats that should have been explored more so than catering to the next event-du-jour. X-Men is supposedly happening in real time yet it feels as though nothing really important happens at all.
    Honestly, I feel like thats a story best told in a mini. I think both characters have enough unanswered questions and material to have their own solo(duo) tale away from the X-men. I could see a Mr and Mrs. X inspired book for them

Maybe if it was Ev and Laura instead of Bishop and Cable in the CotV mini...hmm.