Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Ain't language fun?
    It's certainly interesting, frustrating, fascinating, confusing, puzzeling, challenging and many other things too.

Even if one only looks at the rough outline of how languages function and how they mutate and evolve over time, both in written and spoken form, it can be just as messy for the unaware as it can be fun.

And then there is the whole difficult subject of translations because of how many words can often have multiple meanings which don't easily overlap with similar words in other languages (because those too have multiple different meanings).

Not to forget the potential errors in how foreign words are spelled.

Like when Nightcrawer talks to Kitty and the text has him call her "kästchen" (little box) instead of "kätzchen" (kitten).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, they fixed Karma's name, maybe they'll fix hers too?
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. The deity may be seen in Japanese culture, but that's not the name the Japanese use.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

But according to wiki Kwannon is a perfectly accepted Japanese spelling. So there really isn't a need to change it. The other options would be Kannon or Kan'on but that sounds very...enh!

Besides, it's a name, there's no law and rule to say that a name has to be spelt only one particular way.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-15-2023 at 12:21 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

As long as they change her name into Kwannin, Revanche, or any thing but Psylocke, I am happy.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    But according to wiki Kwannon is a perfectly accepted Japanese spelling. So there really isn't a need to change it. The other options would be Kannon or Kan'on but that sounds very...enh!

Besides, it's a name, there's no law and rule to say that a name has to be spelt only one particular way.
    We could always go back to the original Indian version, Avalokiteshvara (I’m sure I spelled that wrong.) But seriously, even if it’s not the most common spelling, it’s fine, leave it be.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    As long as they change her name into Kwannin, Revanche, or any thing but Psylocke, I am happy.
    I propose Hellionetta.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I propose Hellionetta.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is that Betsy or Kwannon. I can't keep my Psylockes straight that far back.

PS- They totally did it after the SIM! That was the Broomance that really counted.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Is that Betsy or Kwannon. I can't keep my Psylockes straight that far back.

PS- They totally did it after the SIM! That was the Broomance that really counted.
    Its Betsy when she was mentoring him on his TK

Lukas Wernecks IG

Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Lukas Wernecks IG

Leave it to Werneck to make absolutely everyone drop-dead gorgeous.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/16/d-...fold-1-homage/

D-list X-Men get centerfold treatment in ‘X-Men’ #1 homage

Fifteen different artists worldwide have come together to recreate an homage to the acclaimed X-Men #1 wraparound comic cover by Jim Lee. The fan-led project is storming social media utilizing the hashtag #XMenDListMashup.

This time, D-List characters take centerstage and get a glorified cover treatment. Artists include Luciano Vecchio, Joel Furtado, Kyle Petchock, Chahine Ladjouze, Gwen Cox, Nate Xopher, Corn, Danielle St. Pierre, Sergio Torres, Matt Skipworth, Chris Williams, plus Art of Lucas & Jamie Fay, who coordinated the entire endeavor.

“This was a fun experiment,” says Luciano Vecchio, whose work can be seen in the recent X-Men Hellfire Gala comic issue. “I did my part while House of X/Powers of X was being released, so I replaced Gay Icon Iceman with Rictor – itching to draw the costume only shown on previews back then.”

“We each chose a ‘D-List’ character that resonated with us and added them to the composition,” Jamie Fay said. “In the spirit of camaraderie, we conducted a poll to determine which formidable adversary they would confront. To our delight, Mojo emerged as the clear winner, magnificently illustrated by Joel Furtado.”

“This piece would not have happened without Marcus Odoms, who unified our individual styles with his magnificent colors,” Art of Lucas admitted, who chose to illustrate D-Lister, Maggott, for this creation.

Hope by Kyle Petchock (@k_petchock_art) – Catonsville, MD, USA
    Joseph by Chahine Ladjouze (@chahine.ladjouze.comics) – Nancy, France
    Beak by Gwen Cox (@coxieart) – Lancaster, PA, USA
    Doop by Nate Xopher (@natexopher) – Dayton, OH, USA
    Shark Girl by Corn (@corn.cupine) – Tomelilla, Sweden
    Maggott by Art of Lucas (@artoflucas) – Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Meggan by Danielle St. Pierre (@daniellestpierreart) – Monroe, WA, USA
    Dr. Cecilia Reyes by Sergio Torres (@serge_towers) – El Paso, TX USA
    Stacy X by Jamie Fay (@jamiefayx) – NYC, NY USA
    Rictor by Luciano Vecchio (@lucianovecchioart – Marvel and DC illustrator) – Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Marrow by Matt Skipworth (@crimsonartsillustation) – Cambridgeshire, England
    Feral by Chris Williams (@cdubbart) – Glenolden, PA, USA – with inks by Jake Isenberg (@inkerguy) – USA
    Mojo by Joel Furtado (@joelyface) – Vancouver, Canada
    Colors and background by Marcus Odoms (@confuciusretaliation) – Southern Arizona, USA
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Calling Hope D-list is top shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Sort of - it's a Japanese pronunciation that no longer really exists. You can't really write out that "Kw" sound in modern Japanese.