BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    If X-men legends was made in this era Hope would be payable for sure as a unlockable character
    They made another Ultimate Alliance not too many years ago and she wasn't in. It has Cable though.

She's important to the relatively recent history of the comic book franchise but it's not like masses of people will clamor for her if she stops appearing alot.

I honestly think the same of Magik, and she is my probably in my top 5 "young characters".

Grand scheme of things, the A-List X-Men in terms of general awareness, are pretty much just the ones from the cartoon and I think people know Kwannonlocke. (If you showed the average person any other version of Betsy, they would be like "who the **** is that?". But they know Kwannonlocke's design.)

Saying Hope is A-List is like saying she is as recognizable as Rogue. Ain't no way.

I say this as someone who has come to appreciate Hope in her non-Jean related roles:

At one time Hope Summers was in a Si Spurrier book. And that was after not being around for a while even though she had just ended term as the editorial franchise-wide McGuffin.

I love Hope though. By far the best Summers character.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 08-16-2023 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Sort of - it's a Japanese pronunciation that no longer really exists. You can't really write out that "Kw" sound in modern Japanese.
    Yeah, this is why I said it sounds Korean... Koreans have kw sounds in their language. "Kwon" is a pretty common family name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    They made another Ultimate Alliance not too many years ago and she wasn't in. It has Cable though.

She's important to the relatively recent history of the comic book franchise but it's not like masses of people will clamor for her if she stops appearing alot.

I honestly think the same of Magik, and she is my probably in my top 5 "young characters".

Grand scheme of things, the A-List X-Men in terms of general awareness, are pretty much just the ones from the cartoon and I think people know Kwannonlocke. (If you showed the average person any other version of Betsy, they would be like "who the **** is that?". But they know Kwannonlocke's design.)

Saying Hope is A-List is like saying she is as recognizable as Rogue. Ain't no way.

I say this as someone who has come to appreciate Hope on her non-Jean related roles:

At one time Hope Summers was in a Si Spurrier book. And that was after not being around for a while even though she had just ended term as the editorial franchise-wide McGuffin.

I love Hope though. By far the best Summers character.
    Ultimate Alliance is not X-Men Legends, I didn't say Hope is A list so I'm not sure why you're arguing from that perspective.

Hope is C-list and would translate easily to a video game platform like that much like Bishop and both Cable with their guns who I wouldn't consider A-list. X-Man also was a character.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I personally think Rictor is the most out of place here.
    I 100 million percent agree.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Ultimate Alliance is not X-Men Legends, I didn't say Hope is A list so I'm not sure why you're arguing from that perspective.

Hope is C-list and would translate easily to a video game platform like that much like Bishop and both Cable with their guns who I wouldn't consider A-list. X-Man also was a character.
    Ah, my dumb brain converted the conversation from "Hope isn't D-List" to "Hope is A-List" for whatever reason. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    SERIOUSLY! Who thinks Hope is D-List? She hasn't been D-List since she was a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    It's hilarious. I saw that and immediately thought someone will be mad at this.

That being said are they completely wrong? Hope is a comic book exclusive character that will never make the jump into other more popular media if we are being honest. Can you imagine her in a movie, show, being part of the main roster of a video game or having her own merchandise? Im sorry but that's definitely a trait she shares with the rest of them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Certainly a weird choice. In my opinion she is basicly C-lister who writers feel compelled to treat as big deal because of her brief and now long past moment of importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    Even then she wasn't really D-List. The Messiah Complex storyline had her as the hope (heh) of mutantdom and was one of the most important characters of the era.
    I routinely forget she even still exists.

She's been an important plot device in some stories, that doesn't make her a character many people are interested in or care about.

Next headshots for the corner box variants Mark is doing
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Morrison New X-men era. Nice!
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    I routinely forget she even still exists.

She's been an important plot device in some stories, that doesn't make her a character many people are interested in or care about.
    She's not a big name, but a lot of people care about her. And she has a character beyond being a plot device. She has a consistent personality. Generation Hope explored her team dynamics and learning to be more of a leader, exposing the dangers of her powers, and embroiling her with some personal teenage drama. Her role in Immortal X-Men showed off how badass she could be, gave her a unique dynamic with Exodus (which had both good and bad elements, as she discovered), and Sins of Sinister showed a very ugly, uninhibited side to her that had little to do with the overarching plot. Her relationship with Cable is pretty well-done, and we got to see how his death (pre-Krakoa) affected her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think he's too complex a design to draw. That's why Mann had to simplify by putting him in his underwear.
    And he was right to do so. Jubilee was also right, in that they should have made his short-shorts an official uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    SERIOUSLY! Who thinks Hope is D-List? She hasn't been D-List since she was a baby.
    Frankly, I didn't even know she was still a thing -- so D-List sounds about right. I always felt she was a bait and switch character. Is she Jean reborn. Nope! Then, let's all move on.
    Last edited by kcekada; 08-16-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I'm not exactly much of a Hope fan myself, but she's literally one of the main characters of one of the tentpole X-books of this era. Hard to imagine its possible to forget she exists if you're reading Immortal X-Men, and while nobody is obligated to read any book in particular, if you're voluntarily opting out of reading one of the central books of this era, is that a strong basis for judging who actually could be considered A-list, B-list, C-list and the like these days?

Comics have their own 'ranks' of A-list characters, which are inevitably a much wider range than A-list characters in adaptations, because adaptations are inherently more limited in how many characters they can utilize. Just because a character isn't A-list in terms of non-comic book audiences doesn't mean that assessment of them is relevant to how they're treated within the comics and among comic book readers.

I feel like this thread has been way too derailed, especially cause the pic with Hope wasn't even official but fanart lool. That said she's a solid C-Lister for me. Definetely above D, but not quite B depending on who you're putting in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I mean, I'm not exactly much of a Hope fan myself, but she's literally one of the main characters of one of the tentpole X-books of this era. Hard to imagine its possible to forget she exists if you're reading Immortal X-Men, and while nobody is obligated to read any book in particular, if you're voluntarily opting out of reading one of the central books of this era, is that a strong basis for judging who actually could be considered A-list, B-list, C-list and the like these days?

Comics have their own 'ranks' of A-list characters, which are inevitably a much wider range than A-list characters in adaptations, because adaptations are inherently more limited in how many characters they can utilize. Just because a character isn't A-list in terms of non-comic book audiences doesn't mean that assessment of them is relevant to how they're treated within the comics and among comic book readers.
    I remember she exists when I see her on a page, other than that I forget she exists. I read a lot of things like message boards and the like and see a lot of fan feedback and almost no one ever mentions Hope, and when they do it is almost always in conjunction with her function in the resurrections. I think of Hope the same way I do a transporter on Star Trek, or a Tricorder. She has spent most of her fictional life as a MacGuffin and I pay no more attention to her than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Ah, my dumb brain converted the conversation from "Hope isn't D-List" to "Hope is A-List" for whatever reason. My bad.
    That's me I think. I proposed she's A list when she appears in the books. But I'm mainly joking. I don't think anybody should really care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post

Next headshots for the corner box variants Mark is doing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Morrison New X-men era. Nice!
    I think with the inclusion of Kate instead of Jean that it's the Astonishing team, but with cowl-less Cyclops.