Page 5 of 1443 FirstFirst 12345678915551055051005 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsm24 View Post
    She (and every other Decimated mutant) needs to be repowered immediately. If even Blob and Callisto can suddenly be repowered post-Secret Wars sans any explanation whatsoever, there is no logical reason at all why Mirage, who has the magic powers of an Asgardian Valkyrie, can't break Wanda's spell.
    I still think Illyana giving Dani a good soulsword swipe in Limbo could work wonders. It took the Juggy right out of Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    lol jackraow, are you seriously implying OML's presence in half these books wasn't editorially-mandated?

I mean, it IS a business, so I don't completely blame them (though I do get annoyed by it, since I feel OML himself can't get any serious development when he's being shared by 4 books).
    I'm not implying it, I'm outright stating that it is not an editorial mandate. Guarantee you that Marvel is not telling these writers they have to use OML, rather the creators are asking to. With the exception of perhaps the Old Man Logan solo book. They probably have to use him there, but perhaps not. If the writer came up with some sort of twist (a la Jim Gordon replacing Bruce Wayne as Batman awhile back), they'd probably let him or her do that...provided it looked like an interesting story. Over in Gold and Astonishing, however, no editor said to Guggenheim or Soule, "You have to include Logan. It's a must for your team book. Sorry."

In Weapon X it sounds like he was a given, and probably part of Pak's premise for the book honestly. Still his choice, and not editorially mandated. I'd be extremely surprised to find out otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I'm not implying it, I'm outright stating that it is not an editorial mandate. Guarantee you that Marvel is not telling these writers they have to use OML, rather the creators are asking to. With the exception of perhaps the Old Man Logan solo book. They probably have to use him there, but perhaps not. If the writer came up with some sort of twist (a la Jim Gordon replacing Bruce Wayne as Batman awhile back), they'd probably let him or her do that...provided it looked like an interesting story. Over in Gold and Astonishing, however, no editor said to Guggenheim or Soule, "You have to include Logan. It's a must for your team book. Sorry."

In Weapon X it sounds like he was a given, and probably part of Pak's premise for the book honestly. Still his choice, and not editorially mandated. I'd be extremely surprised to find out otherwise.
    These books are mostly editorially mandated. Editors wanted a book focused on the 05, so they called Bunn and asked him to do it (as he's said in many interviews. He even said he wasn't a fan at first but grew into writing the characters). I can't GUARANTEE like you do, but I'd be shocked if Weapon X wasn't also a book given to Pak, and not something he's pitched.

Either way, while I get the business side of it, ultimately I think it hurts the stories more than it helps. I miss the days where something would happen to a character in his solo book and it would be felt in all of the other books from the line as well.

I agree with that last sentence, despite not agreeing that use of OML is editorially mandated in team books (particularly Astonishing and Gold, nor do I think Jimmy Hudson was mandated in Blue; Weapon X, as you state, may have had OML as part of the pitch to be fair). And I also wish they'd both spread the love around in terms of characters and also take more risks in terms of team book casts (i.e., get away from the stale O5 and ANAD models for teams). Some of my favorite teams ever have been oddball in terms of cast (e.g., Mike Carey's "Supernovas" team with Rogue, Iceman, Cannonball, Mystique, Cable and Sabretooth was awesome).

My personal preference would've been to see Cable and Laura on Gold instead of OML, for example. But oh well. Guggenheim clearly wanted Logan...unless he was forced on him, as you suspect. I just don't believe that he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    These books are mostly editorially mandated. Editors wanted a book focused on the 05, so they called Bunn and asked him to do it (as he's said in many interviews. He even said he wasn't a fan at first but grew into writing the characters). I can't GUARANTEE like you do, but I'd be shocked if Weapon X wasn't also a book given to Pak, and not something he's pitched.

Either way, while I get the business side of it, ultimately I think it hurts the stories more than it helps. I miss the days where something would happen to a character in his solo book and it would be felt in all of the other books from the line as well.
    I think you are confusing an editor shaping the line and dictating what appears in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    What other characters? MCU ones don't count.
    Well, you just cut Black Widow, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Nick Fury Sr., and Winter Soldier out, I guess Hawkeye too.(That's more OML territory than the young one.) I know, I'm missing more but those are the ones that come top of my head.

In the x-verse he still has Alpha Flight, they even guest star in OML. They fight an army of Brood, but the one who steals the show is Jeen with this:
    You gotta love Sorrentino art.
    Edit: Scan deleted.
    Last edited by The_Phenom2893; 07-17-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Iceman #2:

Oooh! I'm psyched for Iceman but I'm going to wait a little longer before I decide to purchase it. I'm glad him and Kitty are talking.

What other characters? MCU ones don't count. Deadpool has always been that odd duck.

X-Characters? Tyke I guess counts.

Having OML show up in every book is making me dislike him. Especially when the stories begin to contradict each other which they will since the editors can barely keep track of characters in just two books.

This is the only excuse that makes sense. Any other excuse is bs.
    Why shouldn't MCU characters count? If it's because most X-Fans don't read the books starring them, then I'm betting most who complain about Logan appearing "everywhere" don't even read the books he starring in either... and Astonishing X-Men isn't even out yet. So if we eliminate OML and Weapon X and we assume some of the Logan complainers are reading X-Men Gold, that's one book with Logan that nobody is forcing them to read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Why shouldn't MCU characters count? If it's because most X-Fans don't read the books starring them, then I'm betting most who complain about Logan appearing "everywhere" don't even read the books he starring in either... and Astonishing X-Men isn't even out yet. So if we eliminate OML and Weapon X and we assume some of the Logan complainers are reading X-Men Gold, that's one book with Logan that nobody is forcing them to read.
    Really? You can't tell why Disney would rather promote the MCU characters over the XMen?

The same rules don't apply.

This acting like is not mandated to put him in books is ridiculous and not worth my time.

It simply comes down to Marvel thinking sales will be higher if they have Logan in them.

Really? You can't tell why Disney would rather promote the MCU characters over the XMen?

The same rules don't apply.

This acting like is not mandated to put him in books is ridiculous and not worth my time.

It simply comes down to Marvel thinking sales will be higher if they have Logan in them.
    With Banner currently dead and the real Thor not being Thor atm, I don't think Disney has any hold or cares what happens in the comics.

BANNED

Astonishing X-Men:

All-New Wolverine:

Cory Smith, XMBlue #5...
    Last edited by nx01a; 06-12-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Astonishing X-Men:

All-New Wolverine:

I'm digging that art of Gambit and that he is reemerging to prominence in the re genesis

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Cory Smith, XMBlue #7...
    The artist said issue 5.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The artist said issue 5.
    This is issue 5, yeah. He filled in a few pages.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey