Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What are some of the best showings for X-females in X-men animation?

I love the X-men and just in case anyone else saw some great showings of the X-gals that I might have missed....I was just wondering what are some of best showings you've seen. Bonus: What X-gals do you think were better than other adaptations? For example:

Jean Grey. Although I think her scream was pretty iconic in X-men: The animated series, I just wasn't impressed by her. The constant falling over things (at one point she literally face planted on her own against the Horsemen of Apocalypse) and failure to use 2 abilities at a time was just sad. Fast forward to X-men evolution and I feel that the character was AMAZING there!! I felt they captured her fashion sense and overall attitude. Not to mention really doing some amazing feats:She also used this bubble to Favorites being the ability to fly at a fast moving train and slow down 1 to a stop, slow the second one (not really able to stop it completely) and contain an explosion (for the most part) in her telekinetic bubble to stop a water damn from killing people.

Storm. Love the character and usually put on for iconic value, but I feel was never "showcased". I do believe I love her in X-men the Animated series best though. From her very funny phrases when conjuring her abilities to some decent character growth. I think she did really well there. Hellfire club battle she really kicked the most butt...taking out multiple members. She had a good showing with Omega Red as well. Had the animated Pryde of the X-men continued, I think she would've gotten better focus there. Vaporizing Pyro's plan and teleporting the X-men back to the ship with her wind was pretty cool.

Rogue- though she was great in evolution and Wolverine and the X-men, X-men:TAS still holds a place in my heart for her. The struggle with not being able to touch was real here. Her fighting of Ms. Marvel and the Muir Island debacle was fun moments.

What are some of ya'lls?

I feel you did get some good storm in the 90's series, especially when she had to deal with her emotional control, the shadow king, and on Genosha.

Rogue in the 90's series was pretty good as well, As female character depictions go I feel she had high development especially with her and Mysque. But this was blown out of the water with her In X-men evolution.

Jean...She had a good depiction in X-men evolution, Frankly that show was great at characterization.

Jubilee has only really been in he 90's tas, in X-men:E she was a "New Mutant" but not like Iceman,Cannonball, and Boom Boom.

Boom Boom and Magma were great in X-men Evolution, Especially the Island volcano episode.

Incredible Member

X-men evolution did have great characterization!! I thought it a huge mistake to make Storm a teacher and not a teen there.

What do you mean with Rogue though? Better representation with her and mystique in evolution.....I agree. It infused more of her family there. X-men:TAS did give us a great representation of her history, but I think since Nightcrawler wasn't an actual main cast member, there could only do so much with that.

I did love me some Boom Boom in Evolution. Walk on the Wildside was a great showing of the girls.

I forgot about Armor in X-men anime. She had some decent showings there.

Psylocke just got hosed on all animation. WATX had British Betsy pawned by Frost, but that's a given considering its Brit body. She didn't fare that well in X-men:TAS either, but I did like her trickery with Angel.

BANNED

x-men evolution and x-men tas were the best for females. I can name some episode that had their best showings.

Evolution

Impact
    Self Possessed
    Rogue Recruit
    Power Surge
    Bada-Bing Bada-Boom
    Walk On The Wild Side
    The HeX Factor
    X23
    Cruise Control
    Dark Horizon – Part 1 and 2
    Ascension – Part 1 and 2
    Assesnion 1 and 2
    Last edited by Selina; 05-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Jean and Rogue in X-Men: Evolution. I say nailed it.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 05-28-2017 at 10:38 PM.

BANNED

X-23's first appearance in Evolution. She manages to take out everyone in the mansion except for Logan.

BANNED

Storm and Rogue probably top the list easily

Incredible Member

Domino had some gif worthy moments in Wolverine and the X-men as a member of the Brotherhood. She's not in it much but she oozes cool.

I think they captured Rogue's raw power and her inner struggles with her power (all the psyches trapped in her mind) perfectly in X-Men Evolution, an issue which I think was essentially glossed over in the 90's cartoon which happened to be her most popular adaptation.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

jean on the dark phoenix saga on the animated series,
    on evolution,
    i like storm on the anime, on the animated series theres not to many story development,
    i like rogue on the animated series and i dont like her on evolution, lol,
    i like kitty on evolution, i love her on that.
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Evolution was the high point (with the exception of Storm). Watxm was the low point (Emma was the only female to get any focus).

Rogue
    TAS = Evolution > WatXM
    TAS and Evolution both got different versions of Rogue right. TAS got her fun-loving and romantic side right, while Evolution explored her family connections and absorption powers better. WaTXM along with getting less development and screen-time than either, held a bit too many similarities to Movie Rogue that didn't appeal to me. I did like some of glimpses of independence she showed, like infiltrating the Brotherhood.

Storm
    TAS > Anime = Evolution > WaTXM
    Storm's only really good showing was in TAS imo. It's not a perfect portrayal either, as she was so campy I felt like she didn't always get the emotional beats well but she was almost always entertaining. I did think they overplayed how peaceful Storm was a bit and missed some the 80s edge she had in the comics, which would've been nice to see. The rest... all fall flat for one reason or another. WatXM sort got her tone right and the Shadow King episode looked promising, but she was just used so little I had to give it the least. The Anime and Evolution had some nice moments, but Evolution had her story revolve around Spyke too much and the Anime felt like it was almost a different character with Storm's powers.

Jean Grey
    Evolution > TAS > WaTXM = Anime
    Evolution's the clear winner here. Not only was she self-sufficient and well-educated (her speech in S2 was great) we got into her head a bit and she played well off other characters in a way she didn't in the other series. Maybe as a counterpoint to the action girls in TAS, Jean in the series was pretty weak and unintentionally (?) funny, serving primarily as a love interest. Her Phoenix story-lines in the series, however, are probably some of the best in X-Men media and are iconic so gets recognition for that. WaTXM Jean (and the Anime) was more a mysterious figure and macguffin than a character.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 05-30-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Evolution's "Self-Possessed" is one of my favorite Rogue stories. Additionally, she and Storm were the 90's animated series as far as I'm concerned.

I also love that people are bringing up Boom Boom in Evolution. She stole that whole show and only had two focus episodes (plus a major role in a Magma episode).

Jean was pretty great in Evolution, too. I think Kitty was a bit dumbed down there, but she was still likable.

Good topic. But I'm feeling lazy and I love doing lists so for me the following X-Ladies were best depicted in the following cartoons:

XTAS: Rogue and Storm. Villain: Dark Phoenix
    EVO: Jean Grey and Kitty. Villain: Mystique
    WATXM: Emma and Rogue. Villain: Scarlet Witch

My girl really didn't get any love in other media other then comics and video games.
    Last edited by MentalManipulator; 06-06-2017 at 01:28 AM.