Default Peter David's Hulk - What to read next?

Having never been much of a Hulk fan, I recently read Peter David's run in its entirety. It was fantastic, and IMO among the most timeless runs on a super hero title in the history of comics. It did undoubtedly drop off towards the end, but from what I read this was largely down to editorial interference, and the last couple of issues were up there with the very best of his run.

My question is, where do I go next? I am invested enough in the characters that I'd like to check out Joe Casey's run immediately following David's, but I've never really heard much about it. I'm also interested in Paul Jenkins and Bruce Jones' recent(ish) work on the character. Are any of these worth checking out?

Glad you enjoyed PAD's run. It's one of my favorite!

Personally, Greg Pak and Bill Mantlo are the best after PAD.

Pak is fairly recent (not the Amadeus Cho run tho. Check Planet Hulk, etc.) , while Mantlo is right before PAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Glad you enjoyed PAD's run. It's one of my favorite!

Personally, Greg Pak and Bill Mantlo are the best after PAD.

Pak is fairly recent (not the Amadeus Cho run tho. Check Planet Hulk, etc.) , while Mantlo is right before PAD.
    I should have mentioned that I read Bill Mantlo's 'Crossroads' arc shortly before PAD's run. I really enjoyed it. Is the rest of his run worth checking out?

I have attempted Planet Hulk but didn't finish it. I didn't think it was particularly bad, but didn't love it either. I may give it another go, now that I have a better understanding of the character. If I'm honest, from what I know of them, most modern Hulk runs do not appeal to me at all. I thought Waid's recent run was okay, and Totally Awesome is good fun (for what it is), but aside from that I've always given them a wide berth.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Aaron's Hulk is a guilty pleasure of mine.

But I would certainly recommend as much Mantlo as you can find. In retrospect it's pretty amazing how well formed his entire run turned out to be. Lots of fun , defining moments with great intention.

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I should have mentioned that I read Bill Mantlo's 'Crossroads' arc shortly before PAD's run. I really enjoyed it. Is the rest of his run worth checking out?

I have attempted Planet Hulk but didn't finish it. I didn't think it was particularly bad, but didn't love it either. I may give it another go, now that I have a better understanding of the character. If I'm honest, from what I know of them, most modern Hulk runs do not appeal to me at all. I thought Waid's recent run was okay, and Totally Awesome is good fun (for what it is), but aside from that I've always given them a wide berth.
    Yes for Mantlo. His take on the character is really good. I will agree that most modern run are not very good, but Pak is an exception IMO. Waid's first arc on Indestructible Hulk is good, but the rest isn't.

Well, I'll make a plug for the Len Wein era, as it contained some of my favorite Hulk issues many of which were mostly drawn by the fabulous duo of Herb Trimpe and Sal Buscema. Not sure if its collected anywhere.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

For old school Hulk, I'd throw Heart of the Atom in the ring.

Not sure why the last twenty years have been a massive struggle for the character.

Do the obvious thing: read other stuff by Peter David. His writing was the prime reason that this run is good.

I read all the run and enjoyed it.

But here are other titles written by Peter David that I enjoyed just as much or more:-
    Fallen Angel
    Young Justice
    Atlantis Chronicles
    Super girl
    X-Factor

Agree 100% with JackDaw
    quickly.......... go read Peter David's X-Factor !!!

I'd have to echo a lot of the above and say read Planet Hulk. Then continue with Pak's run.

Though if you haven't read the Tempest Fugit storyline also by PAD, it took place after his run was over, but it's still a great story.

Bruce Jones run is, well it starts alright, but really it ends up having way too much padding. His whole run could have taken place in a single five issue arc, an been much better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Do the obvious thing: read other stuff by Peter David. His writing was the prime reason that this run is good.

I read all the run and enjoyed it.

But here are other titles written by Peter David that I enjoyed just as much or more:-
    Fallen Angel
    Young Justice
    Atlantis Chronicles
    Super girl
    X-Factor
    Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Agree 100% with JackDaw
    quickly.......... go read Peter David's X-Factor !!!
    I'll third this recomendation.

Peace

Astonishing Member

After Peter David's Hulk Run next I would suggest Greg Pak's and John Byrne's brief run (after leaving Alpha Flight), those are my top 3 Hulk runs.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

My personal favorites are #179 thru #426.
    Covers Len Wein, Roger Stern, Bill Mantlo, John Byrne, Al Milgrom and the first portion of PAD's run.

Yeah Milgrom and Byrne are musts if you finish Mantlo, to have the stuff that set Peter David's run up. Stern was as good as always, but I'm not sure what's been collected. It was the run before Mantlo.

Also, check out the short lived Savage Hulk from a few years ago. Alan Davis wrote and drew the first arc, and then Corinna Bechko did a short story based on Crossroads. Good stuff that fell through the cracks.

Jenkin's run was kind of interesting. After the iffy Casey and second Bryne runs It returned to some trademarks of the PAD era, such as Doc Samson, the "Merged" Hulk and the focus on the Hulk's psyche but also retconned several elements of it-the first making the merged Hulk not a combination of the Green, Grey and Banner but a distinct persona on it's own; and also creating tons of other Hulk personas inside Banner's mind, including an 'evil' one that attempted to emerge by trapping Banner in a "Man Who has everything" dream.

The Jones run is long, but mostly ignored, and was basically retconned by Peter David as a bad dream...literally.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth