Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

I still disagree that bringing Steve back hurts his sacrifice. The drama would be in it happening against his will. His sacrifice remains under those circumstances. There's nothing cheapened because he wouldn't have been looking for a get out of jail free card. He intended to, and did die to save a village. That does not change if celestial means brings him back as they have in the past in the comics.

So to me its still very much an option. Again either that or a descendant via the family line continuing from a sibling or something. Main point is, you bring Chris Pine back. You don't cast a poor man's replacement.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-07-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

^ Exactly. That's why if Trevor ain't back, just don't have a love interest in the sequel like Winter Soldier. Going from Chris Pine to whoever will probably be a massive step down in quality

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I recall, all the other gods died fighting Ares. Then Zeus tried to kill Ares with his magic lightning, but it didn't work. So Zeus gave the Amazons the god-killer--and then I guess Zeus crawled off to die in some corner of heaven. Then eons later, Ares brings down the magic lightning and fires it at Diana, but she reflects it back at him with her magic bracelets--thus destroying Ares. So you could suppose the release of all that god-energy at Ares' death brought the other gods back to life--or else brough new gods into existence.
    I would imagine Zeus will show up at some point since he is Diana's padre.

Retired

Ain't Zeus Pater dead, too?

Ultimate Member

I don't believe that it's "Steve or bust" when it comes to Diana potentially having a LI. In fact I really dislike that whole "they must be lonely and in mourning forever" cliché. She's spent a century doing that, she is allowed to try and move on/find new happiness at some point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If Steve isn't going to be in the next movie, then I don't think they need to establish another boyrfirend in his place. The first movie only gave us Etta Candy in man's world and I would like to see Diana with a whole bunch of other women: Barbara Ann Minerva, Circe, Baroness Paula von Gunther, Dr. Cyber, Big Barda . . . for starters.
    I wouldn't mind a descendant of Etta Candy, to be honest...that would not be forced or unnatural IMAO...

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still disagree that bringing Steve back hurts his sacrifice. The drama would be in it happening against his will. His sacrifice remains under those circumstances. There's nothing cheapened because he wouldn't have been looking for a get out of jail free card. He intended to, and did die to save a village. That does not change if celestial means brings him back as they have in the past in the comics.

So to me its still very much an option. Again either that or a descendant via the family line continuing from a sibling or something. Main point is, you bring Chris Pine back. You don't cast a poor man's replacement.
    It's not really a question of what bringing Steve back would mean for Steve's own decision to sacrifice himself.

The issue is, as you say, "bringing Chris Pine back". Chris Pine's character died; that death loses its impact if you take away the finality of it. The consequence of Steve dying is no more Chris Pine, which is how the audience feels the same loss that Diana does. Trying to bring him back just to reestablish the character from the first film (or the "younger descendant" cheat) is an admission by the filmmakers that the narrative is pretty weightless. The tragedy is that, as Steve said, he wished they had more time together. But they didn't.

The obvious point of reference here is the very similar story arc in Captain America: The First Avenger with Cap and Peggy Carter, where the weight of Cap's becoming a "man out of time" is the missed connection with Peggy. And to their great credit, Marvel refused to avail themselves of any of the various dramatic cop-outs that could have been used to put Cap and Peggy (or, at a minimum, Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell) back together onscreen in a relationship. We saw Steve and the elderly, dementia-afflicted Peggy, which accentuated the loss, rather than cancelling it out. They didn't use time travel, de-aging, or Atwell playing Sharon (very similar to the Pine-as-Trevor Jr. suggestion many make) to duck the consequences. And the movies are better for it.

Retired

This is why it's important to get Allan Heinberg and Patty Jenkins for the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I don't believe that it's "Steve or bust" when it comes to Diana potentially having a LI. In fact I really dislike that whole "they must be lonely and in mourning forever" cliché. She's spent a century doing that, she is allowed to try and move on/find new happiness at some point.
    I don't think she needs to be constantly mourning but I think they should pass on a love interest for the sequel like Winter Soldier did for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
    It's not really a question of what bringing Steve back would mean for Steve's own decision to sacrifice himself.

The issue is, as you say, "bringing Chris Pine back". Chris Pine's character died; that death loses its impact if you take away the finality of it. The consequence of Steve dying is no more Chris Pine, which is how the audience feels the same loss that Diana does. Trying to bring him back just to reestablish the character from the first film (or the "younger descendant" cheat) is an admission by the filmmakers that the narrative is pretty weightless. The tragedy is that, as Steve said, he wished they had more time together. But they didn't.

The obvious point of reference here is the very similar story arc in Captain America: The First Avenger with Cap and Peggy Carter, where the weight of Cap's becoming a "man out of time" is the missed connection with Peggy. And to their great credit, Marvel refused to avail themselves of any of the various dramatic cop-outs that could have been used to put Cap and Peggy (or, at a minimum, Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell) back together onscreen in a relationship. We saw Steve and the elderly, dementia-afflicted Peggy, which accentuated the loss, rather than cancelling it out. They didn't use time travel, de-aging, or Atwell playing Sharon (very similar to the Pine-as-Trevor Jr. suggestion many make) to duck the consequences. And the movies are better for it.
    Fair enough, but to me preserving that feeling of loss is so not worth not bringing the actor back and build off the chemistry the two actors had together. Cap and Peggy didn't have even close to that connection, IMO. That didn't drive the film the way Gal/Chris drove this film. I don't believe future films will be better for his absence, in fact I think sequels would be pretty dramatically hurt by his potential exclusion. Not that Gadot couldn't carry it on her own. Its not a question of needing his name power anymore, not after her performance. She could easily carry it on her own. But losing the chemistry would be a huge loss nonetheless.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I've heard of storylines where Diana tried to give Steve super powers. Have their been any storylines where she tried to give her LI a longer life or immortality like her?

Have Steve come back as an enemy to Diana as Captain Wonder under the influence of Dr. Psycho. Bring in Cheetah and Circe for good measure.

Spectacular Member CaptainCanada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Fair enough, but to me preserving that feeling of loss is so not worth not bringing the actor back and build off the chemistry the two actors had together. Cap and Peggy didn't have even close to that connection, IMO. That didn't drive the film the way Gal/Chris drove this film. I don't believe future films will be better for his absence, in fact I think sequels would be pretty dramatically hurt by his potential exclusion. Not that Gadot couldn't carry it on her own. Its not a question of needing his name power anymore, not after her performance. She could easily carry it on her own. But losing the chemistry would be a huge loss nonetheless.
    I think the audience will be far more invested in the story when they know that there are real consequences for the characters. It's all downhill once you give that away.

This isn't to say that keeping Steve alive might not have made for good films too. But once they not only killed him, but made his sacrifice the emotional lynchpin of the film and Diana's character arc, it's incumbent on them to stick to their guns, or they retroactively devalue the original story.
    Last edited by CaptainCanada; 06-08-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Hopefully we'll get 2 more sequels.and by the GODS OF MOUNT OLYMPUS I pray we'll see DONNA.ARTEMIS and NUBIA.and for villians CHEETAH and CIRCE.

Incredible Member

I hope that we don't see Steve Trevor return. I thought Chris Pine did a fine job in the role, but his story has been told. I want Diana to move forward, not constantly be thinking about the man who got away.

Same for Zeus, Ares and others. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another god or goddess, for example, Hades if they used a storyline based on the JLU episode with Felix Faust and Hades. But, if they did, I'd like to see Diana gain an ally instead of another Greek god enemy.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

But what about Etta? What about Dr. Poison? What happened to them after the war? Have their stories been adequately told, or do we give them the Steve treatment?

This is the downside to introducing characters like Steve and Etta in a period piece because now Diana can never interact with her classic characters in a modern setting. Ultimately, it seems like all her mortal peers will share a similar fate seeing as she'll most likely outlive them anyway...