Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

So basically after Original Sin is over Bucky takes Nick Fury's place as the Man On The Wall?

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    So basically after Original Sin is over Bucky takes Nick Fury's place as the Man On The Wall?
    Yeah, well I'm sure it's more of a team thing, Bucky is just the guy that does most of the dirty work. I think after that last issue we realized why Fury put together the most "moral" killers in the universe so see what he's been doing with his weekends. He didn't bring in Cap or Peter, he sent out killers. I don't think this really ruins OS, it just tells us what the aftermath will be. We still don't know who killed Uatu.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    That seems to be the case.

This is one fantastic creative team assembled, but given the price point I'll be trade-waiting on this. Making the switch on most Marvel books I'm interested in, actually.

Still, it's a really interesting direction for the character that gives him the chance to become a larger part of the Marvel universe. Looking forward to the possibilities.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Let me guess....

Fury Sr. dies and Bucky takes over as the protector of the wall.
    Yeah, that is what it looks like (and I gave up on original sin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    y'all really hate space, huh?

It seems like the ones most capable of working outside the superhero box tend to go through the motions less in interviews. Kot, Ellis, Spurrier, and Azzarello are some of my favorites. I think Kot needs a big break like this to really bring his A-game to the mainstream.
    Frankly, I only care about how he handles my favorite character. Latour and Klein did a terrific space themed arc with Buck and they could have gone insane in all kinds of terrific ways with this premise. You had the perfect team Marvel. Now they've got a terrific artist, if the writing is good and in character, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Well now we know what the purpose of issue 5 of Original Sin was; foreshadowing Bucky taking Fury's job.
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Now that you mention it, I guess there is something in OS they do not want to spoil.
    Or they are just emphasizing the Winter Soldier aspect of the character. I think of the Rob Bottin vertical woman disguise from Total Recall when I look at that cover. That's a great thing.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I haven't really loved the way Bucky has been written since Brubaker. But this does sound enticing. Its strange though: I've always noticed the coincidence that Bucky's journey is bizarrely similar to that of Dick Grayson (with a little Jason Todd thrown in) and now his new solo book sounds a lot like the new Grayson ongoing. Weird.

you know what id really like to see in this title, Buck and daken settle their issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I haven't really loved the way Bucky has been written since Brubaker. But this does sound enticing. Its strange though: I've always noticed the coincidence that Bucky's journey is bizarrely similar to that of Dick Grayson (with a little Jason Todd thrown in) and now his new solo book sounds a lot like the new Grayson ongoing. Weird.
    I can't comment on the Dick Grayson thing because I stopped reading DC with the New 52 and I've never been a huge Batman fan, but with regards to not loving how others write Bucky...

I totally understand what you're saying. I know one of the biggest fears I had while falling in love with the character was, "What's going to happen when he enters Marvel proper? When others get their hands on him?" Brubaker was so protective him and with good cause. I don't think he's been written poorly, but I don't think the same magic has been captured since Brubaker. To be fair, this was his baby. To this day he seems really proud of it. Even had a little cameo in the Winter Soldier movie. (I like how Marvel does that... JMS and Simonson in Thor, too)

I think this title is going to be done really well. I don't know if it will be the typical Bucky character, but perhaps that's good. I like character growth. Plus, Bucky is still, relatively speaking, a new character. Before Winter Soldier he could be summed up as "Cap's sidekick". Since coming back he's had a few different roles, super spy/assassin and Captain America, but I think he's still finding his voice within the Marvel Universe. Original Sin does feel like it's been constructed to give him that voice. Fingers crossed it does. I really do love the character.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I think Brubaker stumbled big time with that last arc but then he had to rush through it, given the accidental cancellation heads up. I somehow wonder if the title would not have been cancelled had that not happened. And I quite liked Latour and Klein's take. Beyond Ed and Jason though, I haven't seen any other writer do well with Bucky, so I can only hope Kot gets the character. That's all I ask.

To me, Buck's upcoming title does not feel like the new Grayson ongoing. Grayson is playing Bondesque spy on Earth. Bucky is most likely becoming the Marvel U cosmic guardian of the Wall, stopping cosmic threats before they can reach Earth. Even in the first run of WS, Bucky was stopping threats he had a hand in creating. I guess I'm missing the comparison.

Having little to zilch knowledge about Dick (not a Batfan), I'm trying that book because it's spy oriented and looks like great fun. And if Bucky's trajectory continues to follow Grayson's, I'm cool with that.

*Finally got my copy of Grayson. I loved it, and then blanched at my comments above when the brainwashing stuff came in. I understand that was common with certain spy organizations but I am curious to see how that plays out. And if Dick would actually submit to that - wonder if Bruce gave him some implant to prevent the brainwashing from taking hold and he's just faking it?

But back on track here... Axel confirmed that Bucky's past will be a part of the new series, so I hope that means the Soviet space program too.
    Last edited by Lady Warp Spasm; 07-11-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Extraordinary Member

I'm not so convinced to be honest. Feels like a step back for Bucky.

Amazing Member

I'm a big fan of Ales Kot's work so this definitely goes in my pull-list! Also loved Marco Rudy's work on Swamp Thing as well as the recent images I've seen on the Internet. The germination of ideas and sensibilities budding forth from the minds of both creators is very, very interesting as well. This series can't start soon enough for me!

Man, how am I hearing about this just now. Anyway, I figured OS was setting Bucky up to be the next Man on the Wall. Im game, this sounds pretty cool. Dont know much about the creative team though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Man, how am I hearing about this just now. Anyway, I figured OS was setting Bucky up to be the next Man on the Wall. Im game, this sounds pretty cool. Dont know much about the creative team though.
    Kot is a rising name, pretty promising.

I recognize the name, but just can't recall if i read anything by him before.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-14-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Maybe his brief Suicide Squad run? I'd recommend Zero to anyone remotely interested in the idea of a spy comic. There are few teams in my opinion capable of rivaling a return of Latour/Klein, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Maybe his brief Suicide Squad run? I'd recommend Zero to anyone remotely interested in the idea of a spy comic. There are few teams in my opinion capable of rivaling a return of Latour/Klein, but here we are.
    Agreed, his Suicide Squad was big and fun while it lasted; yet Zero is where Kot's talent really shines. The spy tone in there makes me confident about this announcement.

Its a shame that book only sells around 6K copies...