Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Could Wonder Woman slay Universal's Monster-verse?

So the Wonder Woman movie is kicking ass and taking names left and right, but now it's facing the mummy. Do you think Wonder Woman will do so well and athe mummy so poorly that it will stop this new monster cinematic universe dead in its tracks? From what I've read online Wonder Woman is tracking high for this weekend look like going to easily claim a weekend victory while the mummy's tracking is starting to drop.

BANNED

Well, slaying monsters is what she does best...

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, slaying monsters is what she does best...
    You beat me to it.

I want the Mummy to do well, but I really want Wonder Woman to dominate the box office for several weeks.

Astonishing Member

I'm going to say "yes". I mean, I want the Dark Universe to do well, but I'm not a fool. Wonder Woman actually having a movie is a much bigger deal even among the normals out there than another attempt to revamp the Universal Monsters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So the Wonder Woman movie is kicking ass and taking names left and right, but now it's facing the mummy. Do you think Wonder Woman will do so well and athe mummy so poorly that it will stop this new monster cinematic universe dead in its tracks? From what I've read online Wonder Woman is tracking high for this weekend look like going to easily claim a weekend victory while the mummy's tracking is starting to drop.
    She's killed things from other worlds before.

I love the classic Universal Studios Monsters. Loooove them: have the DVDs, Blu-Rays, Funko figures, etc. etc. etc. but I would be okay if Universal's reboot/shared universe plans collapsed for the time being. I just don't have confidence that the studio knows what makes those characters and those movies so great, and is just slotting in the Universal Monsters into generic modern movies. I love The Creature From the Black Lagoon, but I'm not so interested in, say, a Fast and the Furious clone which just happens to have The Creature in it.

The only thing that has promise is Bill Condon being attached to The Bride of Frankenstein: he did a biopic of the original director, James Whale, in the '90s, so I figure he may have the best chance of recapturing the magic.

Astonishing Member

I hope the Universal Monster-verse takes off but I'm thinking it's going to stall with the Mummy. The studios are trying to hard to find franchises, especially Sony with all the Spider-spin offs.

I'm calling WW to beat The Mummy even though I'm rooting for Tom Cruise. I'm happy it's going to beat the pants off Pirates domestically. Jack Sparrow is getting boring.

It'll take second at the box office. I don't think that in anyway means it will stall the franchise.

Incredible Member

Only reason I say this is because their budget was 125 million add in all the marketing and advertising they were projected to make 40-42 but now it's dropped today to 35, Tom cruise is a big seller internationally but Wonder Woman could just do them in maybe. There's a lot riding on the mummy.

I think there is too much riding on the Mummy for Universal to sandwich it right in the middle of summer blockbusters. They probably should have given it some space where it has limited competition. If Wonder Woman does as well as its supposed to next weekend it could be a huge problem for Universal. Batman v. Superman was the official start of the DC shared universe. It didn't make as much as it should have which caused problems for WB but they didnt go into full meltdown mode because they know that superheroes are the biggest money makers at the moment. They would get other chances with Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. The Universal Monsters aren't a sure thing at the box office. The Mummy is supposedly setting everything up so they need this to be very successful if they're gonna go ahead with the huge undertaking of creating a shared movieverse.

But also they've already cast Depp and Bardem so if the contracts have been signed it's hard to imagine they can back out of the sequels.

the mummy may open 2ed but its going to do good with the world wide numbers no way Wonder Woman stalls the dark universe Universal is all in id say if Bride of Frankenstein and Creature bomb its game over but for now its on.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I love The Creature From the Black Lagoon, but I'm not so interested in, say, a Fast and the Furious clone which just happens to have The Creature in it.
    why do you think its going to be a Fast and Furious clone?
    Last edited by choptop; 06-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    why do you think its going to be a Fast and Furious clone?
    Just a rhetorical example.

Maybe. Idk how movie goers feel about another watered down Mummy reboot, but stranger things have happened.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=Robotman;2863129]I think there is too much riding on the Mummy for Universal to sandwich it right in the middle of summer blockbusters. They probably should have given it some space where it has limited competition. If Wonder Woman does as well as its supposed to next weekend it could be a huge problem for Universal. QUOTE]

I think maybe WW has done better than some early predictions suggested - when the figures looked so much better it came too late for Universal to change their plans at short notice. Dracula Untold (which was originally going to start the monsters universe I believe) was... not successful, if the Mummy does underperform it might force a rethink.