Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

China is a country that has only recently gotten a general populace with enough money to go to the movies. So some of the most hoary cliches are fresh to them. In another generation their children will look back on the things their parents liked, and won't be able to roll their eyes hard enough. But for today...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    China is a country that has only recently gotten a general populace with enough money to go to the movies. So some of the most hoary cliches are fresh to them. In another generation their children will look back on the things their parents liked, and won't be able to roll their eyes hard enough. But for today...
    Plus with a county of 1.5 billion people, say the average ticket price it the equivalent of $5, getting 20 million people, 1.3% of the population, to watch a movie easily makes $100 million box office in China.

The mummy's landed a few solid body blows to Wonderwoman's box office(Captain Underpants has taken a relevant chunk out of it as well), but what's really hurt it has been Pirates of the Caribbean, specifically the foreign box office which it's been dominating, it's been out only a week longer and yet has over 3 times the foreign box office. The fact that Cars 3 opens next week followed the next week by Transformers and it's not going to get any easier, this really was a horrible time of year to open if you wanted a massive box office.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I dunno... you would think a country of 1.5 billion people with the world's second biggest economy would have built its own film industry by now, blockbusters included.
    Ummmm... you might have some reading to do.

I wish Universal would realize these should be horror movies that cost a quarter of what they pain for this Mummy movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I wish Universal would realize these should be horror movies that cost a quarter of what they pain for this Mummy movie.
    Exactly. The earlier comment about "Fast and Furious staring The Creature from the Black Lagoon" is probably accurate. The Invisible Man will be an Independence Day ripoff lol.

The mummy wasn't terrible but the acting from cruise, johnson and some blonde chick I don't know was off. Their comedy and timing were horrible. I don't think I have ever seen a character like Jake Johnson's. He was just odd.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Ummmm... you might have some reading to do.
    Point me to it, then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    The mummy wasn't terrible but the acting from cruise, johnson and some blonde chick I don't know was off. Their comedy and timing were horrible. I don't think I have ever seen a character like Jake Johnson's. He was just odd.
    The ****, seriously. He was like an annoying kid brother almost.
    And how is Cruise still playing these types of characters at his age?
    Also, crap movie or not, the chick that plays the mummy is incredibly sexy. Probably why I can still say that I enjoyed the experience. Cursed to have THAT woman want to **** you, wow, what a drag!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Point me to it, then.

China has their own film industry. They don't send much over here, (The Great Wall) but have more stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    China has their own film industry. They don't send much over here, (The Great Wall) but have more stuff there.
    They also absorbed the Hong Kong film industry once requiring it in 97.

Astonishing Member

No. It's more like they strangled it due to the flight of talent to the mainland and its large capital investments in entertainment as HK stopped becoming the gateway into China and its economic importance decreased. The same story for Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Right the failed Wall movie is largely seen as China's first major attempt at creating its own blockbusters to compete with Hollywood on the Global Stage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Plus with a county of 1.5 billion people, say the average ticket price it the equivalent of $5, getting 20 million people, 1.3% of the population, to watch a movie easily makes $100 million box office in China.
    For the second largest country, it doesn't seem India embraces Hollywood movies like China. Not sure if it has to do with restrictions of American movies being shown, low ticket prices, Bollywood movies being more popular or other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    For the second largest country, it doesn't seem India embraces Hollywood movies like China. Not sure if it has to do with restrictions of American movies being shown, low ticket prices, Bollywood movies being more popular or other reason.
    For example CA: Civil War made $181 million in China, but only $12 million in India. It's probably Bollywood. I'd guess that they are so used to that style that they can't
    relate to the Hollywood style of movie. From the Chinese movies I have seen, they seem more like American movies.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 06-11-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Fantastic Member

According to Box Office Mojo "The Mummy" is looking at a foreign box-office take of $139M for the opening weekend while WW's was only $125M.

Universal isn't scrapping anything.