Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tom Cruise, the name still can sell quite a lot of tickets around the world.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Tom Cruise, the name still can sell quite a lot of tickets around the world.

I half-expect Universal to just begin loading up these movies with actors who are past their prime but are still widely recognized around the world.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as Victor Frankenstein anyone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    I half-expect Universal to just begin loading up these movies with actors who are past their prime but are still widely recognized around the world.

More like the monster.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

What the hell is Dr. Jekyll doing in a mummy picture, anyway? Is he Lego Dr. Jekyll? Is Batman going to show up?

I think Universal is overestimating the appeal of their classic monsters as actual story seeds, as opposed to cultural icons.

Also Universal are so desperate to create this shared universe it seemed like they were constantly doing this http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-conten...spaceballs.gif

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    If they have already cast Russel Bloody Crowe as dr. Jeckyll, they really can't make it worse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    If they have already cast Russel Bloody Crowe as dr. Jeckyll, they really can't make it worse.
    The stuff with Hyde wasn't even bad, just SO OUT OF PLACE.

I once again have to compare it to the 1999 version. The movie was LONG, and gave time to actually get to know the characters, even the cannon fodder. Heck, the last dude who is killed from the curse dies only around 30/35 minutes before the end!

On top of that, it did "The Mummy" $h1t way better, as it actually felt immersed in the Egyptian history and culture. Here, all that just felt like window dressing, and of course had to compete with the blatant set up of "THIS IS A UNIVERSE!!!". They could've easily taken the aspect of groups such as ISIS wanting to cover up these ancient sites and ran with it, with a Mummy who wishes to destroy the Middle East and Modern Egypt for its forgetting the old gods. Thus, you would've actually had a reason for the military to be there, with them reluctantly helping to defend the Middle East.

In terms of a "scoundrel with a heart of gold", Fraser's character was way better portrayed and written. And the lack of any character named Ardath Bay (present in the original and the remake) was felt.

It's just so disappointing, and I echo the "typical blockbuster with monster movie window dressing" sentiment. These movies all could've been in separate countries, with separate feels.
    Mummy: Egypt
    Dracula: Romania
    Frankenstein: Germany
    Creature from the Black Lagoon:.....idk Brazil I guess.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    More like the monster.

I don't know, imagine him rehashing his Mr. Freeze persona for the movie (just without the ice puns). It'd be worth seeing just for that.

Dr. Victor Fries and Dr. Victor Frankenstein, he's already 2/3 of the way there.

Ah well, at least he would get the accent right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    What the hell is Dr. Jekyll doing in a mummy picture, anyway? Is he Lego Dr. Jekyll? Is Batman going to show up?

I think Universal is overestimating the appeal of their classic monsters as actual story seeds, as opposed to cultural icons.
    Dr. Jekyll is meant to be the Nick Fury of the Dark universe

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Ah well, at least he would get the accent right.
    If it were a Viennan or Swiss Accent I would agree. There a reason in german he's dubbed without the accent.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

That's sort of the concept of a shared universe, a character from one movie popping up in another. Sort of like Bruce Wayne getting mentioned in Wonder Woman.
    I doubt Batman will show up in the DU, he is DCEU, and the rights to use him would be to involved. But Victor Frankenstein could show up in the Invisible Man
    movie. Or Dracula in Bride of Frankenstein.

BANNED

IMG_20170611_083653.jpg

Βetter luck, next time Aha... Ahma... Oh, figures... Better luck, next time, Mummy!

Retired

The reason MUMMY did so well in China is becaue it played in more theatres there than the rest of the world combined. It's about the math, isn't it? I would guess that if WW had been put in more theatres, then it would have done better. It was never mathematically possible for WW to get above a certain number, because it just wasn't in enough theatres for that to happen.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That's sort of the concept of a shared universe, a character from one movie popping up in another. Sort of like Bruce Wayne getting mentioned in Wonder Woman.
    I doubt Batman will show up in the DU, he is DCEU, and the rights to use him would be to involved. But Victor Frankenstein could show up in the Invisible Man
    movie. Or Dracula in Bride of Frankenstein.
    It all just kind of reminds me of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The movie, not the comic.