Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Retired

PENNY DREADFUL did the same thing (essentially the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by another name), but those were set in period. The Dark Universe tries to update everything and there I think is the flaw. What makes those old movie monsters so good is the gothic setting. But I guess, if THE MUMMY was set in Victorian London, then Tom Cruise couldn't do his stunt work on a modern aircraft--which seems to be a standard requirement in all his contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    PENNY DREADFUL did the same thing (essentially the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by another name), but those were set in period. The Dark Universe tries to update everything and there I think is the flaw. What makes those old movie monsters so good is the gothic setting. But I guess, if THE MUMMY was set in Victorian London, then Tom Cruise couldn't do his stunt work on a modern aircraft--which seems to be a standard requirement in all his contracts.
    They could have set it during tailspin times though. They had cargo planes and shit.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    They could have set it during tailspin times though. They had cargo planes and shit.
    I second historical setting and I'd want to see a movie with half that budget, less CGI and more prostetics/practical effects. Equals more character. Why aren't guys like Kim Newman, Mike Mignola or Guillermo Del Toro involved in a universe like that?

Default the weekend

"i've killed things from other worlds before." -wonder woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I actually like the challenge of trying to do these mythos' justice while putting them in the modern age and trying to cover the same themes, it's much more creative than just putting them in Victorian London or whatever.

Like, a Frankenstein that deals with technology, "is it life?", and transhumanism? That's totally up the original's alley, while being original in and of its self.
    A Mummy movie that maybe deals with a conflict between modern Islam and the old gods?
    A Wolfman that deals with....idk, urban legends in the modern world, internet rumors, government cover ups.

Like this stuff could easily be modernized in creative ways, the thing to avoid is "The Creature From The Fast And Furious Lagoon".

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I can just picture a bunch of studio executives doing a hand-stack while the pointy-haired boss yells "Now let's get out there and LEVERAGE those dormant intellectual properties through synergy!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I can just picture a bunch of studio executives doing a hand-stack while the pointy-haired boss yells "Now let's get out there and LEVERAGE those dormant intellectual properties through synergy!"
    That reminds me of an apprentice episode, lol.

It's bad when the most memorable part of the movie is the lead female hitting one of her own people over the head with the book from the brendan fraser movie

BANNED

It's bad when the most memorable part of the movie is the lead female hitting one of her own people over the head with the book from the brendan fraser movie
    The book of Brendan.....gives life
    And the book of the dark universe.....takes life away

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It all just kind of reminds me of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The movie, not the comic.
    I'm probably the only person in the planet that enjoyed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I was shocked at the negative response it got. It pretty much had what I wanted in an action movie.
    Lots of action, fun interaction between the characters, nice sets, an amazing looking Hulk. (Having only seen the Lou Ferrigno Hulk prior to that.)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    I actually like the challenge of trying to do these mythos' justice while putting them in the modern age and trying to cover the same themes, it's much more creative than just putting them in Victorian London or whatever.

Like, a Frankenstein that deals with technology, "is it life?", and transhumanism? That's totally up the original's alley, while being original in and of its self.
    A Mummy movie that maybe deals with a conflict between modern Islam and the old gods?
    A Wolfman that deals with....idk, urban legends in the modern world, internet rumors, government cover ups.

Like this stuff could easily be modernized in creative ways, the thing to avoid is "The Creature From The Fast And Furious Lagoon".
    I could go with a modern era Frankenstein, where the monster is created using computers, stem cells, and cyborg implants.
    A bigfoot legend type of Wolfman also sounds good.
    And there is no reason the Creature from the Black Lagoon can't have helicopters, laptops, and cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'm probably the only person in the planet that enjoyed The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I was shocked at the negative response it got. It pretty much had what I wanted in an action movie.
    Lots of action, fun interaction between the characters, nice sets, an amazing looking Hulk. (Having only seen the Lou Ferrigno Hulk prior to that.)

I could go with a modern era Frankenstein, where the monster is created using computers, stem cells, and cyborg implants.
    A bigfoot legend type of Wolfman also sounds good.
    And there is no reason the Creature from the Black Lagoon can't have helicopters, laptops, and cell phones.
    The creature from the Black lagoon should just be a shot for shot remake of lake placid but replace the crock with the creature and Bridget Monahan with Brooke Shields.

The creature from the Black lagoon should just be a shot for shot remake of lake placid but replace the crock with the creature and Bridget Monahan with Brooke Shields.
    I'm curious if he will still look like a guy in a fish suit or will look more fish-like. Sort of like how the original Planet of the Apes just looked like people wearing ape masks
    but in the Tim Burton version and current series they actually look like apes.

I dread a Creature remake because the original monster suit is so beautiful. Probably the best monster suit ever made, superior even to Giger's alien. I just know they'll mess it up somehow.

Even the little tweaks they did to the eyes in the immediate sequel kinda threw the thing off.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You know, they could have made it a much better movie if they'd just left out the Venice sequence. The relentless stupidity of that segment made me want to remove my own brain.

Keep Betty White though, right?