Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1265
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Watching The Mandalorian and thinking how great a Deathstroke show or movie would be. Could definitely be along the same lines.
    I mean, Priest has been saying this from literally day one of his series

http://lamerciepark.com/comics/deathstroke/

He doesn't say it outright here or on the blog that I can find, but I remember listening to youtube interviews with him where he said he was approaching things like a prestige TV drama. And honestly, that's exactly what he's done, for 3 years and 50 issues. An accomplishment well worth being proud of.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Slade could be their next Joker. A lot of themes they could explore with him.

Well, final issue is out. It's great. But I'm very sad that an era is over. And I don't have any Priest DC comics to look forward to next month.

This is a very fitting final issue - it doesn't resolve everything, and Priest leaves Slade open for the next writer (Tynion), but it's going to feel very different.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member

I love how Dark Multiverse(?) Slade called out the hypocrisy of our Slade. He's just as bad as his alternate self ,but too hypocritical to realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I love how Dark Multiverse(?) Slade called out the hypocrisy of our Slade. He's just as bad as his alternate self ,but too hypocritical to realize it.
    I think that's not completely true. It is true that he'll never find happiness, or make his family happy, because he refuses to let his selfishness go. However, he hasn't killed his family. That is better, even if it's still not good.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, final issue is out. It's great. But I'm very sad that an era is over. And I don't have any Priest DC comics to look forward to next month.

This is a very fitting final issue - it doesn't resolve everything, and Priest leaves Slade open for the next writer (Tynion), but it's going to feel very different.
    I will miss Priest Deathstroke. Priest will continue in DC?

Tynion will be in the next Deathstroke comic writer?

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I will miss Priest Deathstroke. Priest will continue in DC?

Tynion will be in the next Deathstroke comic writer?
    No - Tynion is writing Deathstroke in his Batman book. Sorry for the confusion.

Priest does not have any current projects at DC. Because DC is dumb.

Astonishing Member

This was a lovely run. Clear and concise, a perfect amount of issues (50 + the vs. Batman, yeah, and I mean ... People vs. Justice League, sorta?). I think Priest did the best job of keeping his run ... His Run ... while still not only acknowledging and incorporating the shared universe going on around him, but just making it fit into the story he was telling, not making his story fit into the DCU. Interestingly Slade's social connections throughout the DCU are kind of what made it possible. I also think he pulled off the best pure Crossovers. They weren't necessarily the high point storylines in the Deathstroke Rebirth saga ... but they were probably the most consistently well constructed multiple-title croxxovers in the Rebirth oeuvre.

Consistent art, too.

I want to know where Priest goes from here. I want him in the DCU. I want him paired with a great character - perhaps even an underserved or underrated one. Deathstroke is a weird one because he's both overrated and underrated. Modern appearances: Overrated. OG Wolfman characterization: Underrated. I think Priest fused them so that the Wolfman character matched the pop culture HYPE iconography. Then made the whole thing better. Like, there will never be a better Deathstroke comic.

He also played well not just in the ongoing current events sandbox where events and crossovers were thrown at him ... he played expertly well with Canon and Continuity as well, adhering and reminding us of the crucial stuff a lot, but bringing in lots and lots of little bullet points from continuity. Particularly, again, Wolfman's original stories ... but also what surprised me a bit, offering us another facet of Genuine Sequel to the Grant Morrison Batman Run. The only other title that has done that quite as purely and methodically has been Grayson. Which is why my mind immediately wanders to giving him NIGHTWING as a book.

I'd read that for 100 issues.

But I still can't help but wonder if somebody less obvious and more under the radar would be better served with Priest at the helm. Damian would be a fantastic choice. The sky's really the limit. And of course I can dream that with Tynion on Batman, and King moving to Bat/Cat, maybe Tomasi gets weirder with a different bat-something and let's Priest come in and give us a good and proper real DETECTIVE Comics.

So yeah. Great great run. Low key and morally questionable to the end. Deathstroke vs. Terminator worked as a finale concept for me.

Did anyone else try to read the ultra tiny Adeline text at the end? The only thing I could make out was "relaunch Project Defiance" repeated in there.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Yeah this was a solid ending for me. Slade will never really change because he simply can’t or won’t. It felt a bit rushed but it wrapped up all the dangling plot lines (except for the poor PGs obviously) and it left me feeling satisfied. Definitely going to recommend this run to anyone who wants to read Deathstroke, as someone who never cared about him before I feel like I get him now.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    This was a lovely run. Clear and concise, a perfect amount of issues (50 + the vs. Batman, yeah, and I mean ... People vs. Justice League, sorta?). I think Priest did the best job of keeping his run ... His Run ... while still not only acknowledging and incorporating the shared universe going on around him, but just making it fit into the story he was telling, not making his story fit into the DCU. Interestingly Slade's social connections throughout the DCU are kind of what made it possible. I also think he pulled off the best pure Crossovers. They weren't necessarily the high point storylines in the Deathstroke Rebirth saga ... but they were probably the most consistently well constructed multiple-title croxxovers in the Rebirth oeuvre.

Consistent art, too.

I want to know where Priest goes from here. I want him in the DCU. I want him paired with a great character - perhaps even an underserved or underrated one. Deathstroke is a weird one because he's both overrated and underrated. Modern appearances: Overrated. OG Wolfman characterization: Underrated. I think Priest fused them so that the Wolfman character matched the pop culture HYPE iconography. Then made the whole thing better. Like, there will never be a better Deathstroke comic.

He also played well not just in the ongoing current events sandbox where events and crossovers were thrown at him ... he played expertly well with Canon and Continuity as well, adhering and reminding us of the crucial stuff a lot, but bringing in lots and lots of little bullet points from continuity. Particularly, again, Wolfman's original stories ... but also what surprised me a bit, offering us another facet of Genuine Sequel to the Grant Morrison Batman Run. The only other title that has done that quite as purely and methodically has been Grayson. Which is why my mind immediately wanders to giving him NIGHTWING as a book.

I'd read that for 100 issues.

But I still can't help but wonder if somebody less obvious and more under the radar would be better served with Priest at the helm. Damian would be a fantastic choice. The sky's really the limit. And of course I can dream that with Tynion on Batman, and King moving to Bat/Cat, maybe Tomasi gets weirder with a different bat-something and let's Priest come in and give us a good and proper real DETECTIVE Comics.

So yeah. Great great run. Low key and morally questionable to the end. Deathstroke vs. Terminator worked as a finale concept for me.

Did anyone else try to read the ultra tiny Adeline text at the end? The only thing I could make out was "relaunch Project Defiance" repeated in there.
    Beautiful tribute and analysis. Agree with everything you say, especially with Priest on Tec, or Damian, or ANYONE. Heck, put him on Teen Titans. He'd be able to do his Power Girls storyline there!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah this was a solid ending for me. Slade will never really change because he simply can’t or won’t. It felt a bit rushed but it wrapped up all the dangling plot lines (except for the poor PGs obviously) and it left me feeling satisfied. Definitely going to recommend this run to anyone who wants to read Deathstroke, as someone who never cared about him before I feel like I get him now.
    I will recommend this run to anyone. I don't think it converted me to loving Slade - more to appreciating how he can be used better by a brilliant writer.

Was a great run, Priest really did great with slade the family dynamic was awesome. Was surprised to see Rose hanging with Adelaide though. I think DC will be hard pressed to find a writer who can write slade with the nuance that Priest did.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't think it converted me to loving Slade - more to appreciating how he can be used better by a brilliant writer.
    Same here. I'm not going to check out his other appearances now where he'll just be punching people and taking punches, but if someone tries to do something more with him then I'll be there.

It was a satisfying conclusion, but it is unfortunate that he couldn't do anything to resolve PGs situation. I wonder if due to upcoming fifth generation event or relaunch or whatever they decided to ignore it? Probably they'll present a new Power Girl there...

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Same here. I'm not going to check out his other appearances now where he'll just be punching people and taking punches, but if someone tries to do something more with him then I'll be there.

It was a satisfying conclusion, but it is unfortunate that he couldn't do anything to resolve PGs situation. I wonder if due to upcoming fifth generation event or relaunch or whatever they decided to ignore it? Probably they'll present a new Power Girl there...
    he probably let the Power Girls thread drop because (iirc) DC wouldn't let him explore them in a limited series like he wanted to. I'd guess the story he wanted to tell with them was pretty separate from everything he was doing in Deathstroke and he didn't want want to compromise the story he was telling in Deathstroke by trying to roll that plot thread back into the his series
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This run has been excellent. Can't believe DC didn't lock this man down. Not sporting and sadly telling to not repay such brilliant work with a run on a high profile character.

A Black Batman is all well and good but what about a Black writer on Batman? That's actual progress and Equal Opportunity. Priest has the talent and experience to take the position. He's creative and bombastic enough to really DO SOMETHING WE'VE NEVER SEEN. Something bat writers often promise but either don't deliver or mangle.

I had almost forgotten how exciting it feels to anticipate the next issue of a comic so thank you for that Priest.

An awesome interview - part one of three - where Priest looks back on Deathstroke! https://www.newsarama.com/48191-prie...worst-dad.html