Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I thought Wolfman originally had Joey as a good kid? Way back in Judas Contract times? I've only read that story, and none of the other TT stories, so I don't know for sure.
    100% correct. Jericho was a hero through and through, from his introduction to his death. He was depicted as a villain for the first time only after his resurrection on the pages of the relaunched Teen Titans title in the 2000's, the official explanation being that his spirit (which escaped his body a moment before the latter's death) had been corrupted by its long stay inside his father's subconsciousness.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    100% correct. Jericho was a hero through and through, from his introduction to his death. He was depicted as a villain for the first time only after his resurrection on the pages of the relaunched Teen Titans title in the 2000's, the official explanation being that his spirit (which escaped his body a moment before the latter's death) had been corrupted by its long stay inside his father's subconsciousness.
    Well, Slade corrupting his kids seems thematically appropriate...
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I read this series when Rebirth started and I stopped. Then I got back into it with The Lazarus Contract. Then I stopped again. Today, I read through the last several issues and I've liked it a lot. I loved seeing Deathstroke (imagining) taking out The Society.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    I read this series when Rebirth started and I stopped. Then I got back into it with The Lazarus Contract. Then I stopped again. Today, I read through the last several issues and I've liked it a lot. I loved seeing Deathstroke (imagining) taking out The Society.
    That was brutal, and I loved it. I was kinda bummed it wasn't real.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Actually, no, it was Wolfman that started portraying Joey as a villain. I should note that saying he was always a villain is false, but he was part of the main villain of the original Titans Hunt in 1989. Coincidentally this was also around the same time that Wolfman brought (back) Terra (II) into the fold, in a much more heroic role, and Joey was literally her replacement on the Titans.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Actually, no, it was Wolfman that started portraying Joey as a villain. I should note that saying he was always a villain is false, but he was part of the main villain of the original Titans Hunt in 1989. Coincidentally this was also around the same time that Wolfman brought (back) Terra (II) into the fold, in a much more heroic role, and Joey was literally her replacement on the Titans.
    That wasn't entirely on Jericho, though, since he was being possessed by the souls of Azarath who had regained strength and found a suitable vessel in him. That possession was even marked by Joe getting additional powers (a lion-shaped soul self and healing abilities), meaning that everyone knew that there was something very wrong with him. So it's kind of hard to paint him as the villain in Titan Hunt. At most he was an instrument of the real villains.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

That wasn't entirely on Jericho, though, since he was being possessed by the souls of Azarath who had regained strength and found a suitable vessel in him. That possession was even marked by Joe getting additional powers (a lion-shaped soul self and healing abilities), meaning that everyone knew that there was something very wrong with him. So it's kind of hard to paint him as the villain in Titan Hunt. At most he was an instrument of the real villains.
    My point is that it set a precedent for when Johns brought him back nearly twenty years later and portrayed him as wholly antagonistic.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Spectacular Member

I read both Annual & #28. The Annual is really amazing!

And for #28, I just read the comments from you guys. Technically it is possible that Etienne was killed by Rose who was possessed by the spirit of this princess at that time without knowing it. But what is the prime motive behind it? Why would an ancient Hmong princess want to kill Etienne? How could Etienne have a beef with her?

Spectacular Member

By the way, I don't think Joey is becoming a villain (at least for now). As he said before, he joined the team only because he wanted to find who killed Etienne. Every one has moved on from that tragedy. Yet he still couldn't find any new leads. Now that the team members are heading towards different directions, he began to lose hope and had low moment. (The 'journey of Defiance' didn't make him feel fulfilled, either)

Just wait and see. If the killer really turned out to be Rose, I'd like to see how Joey would react to that.
    Last edited by magpieM; 02-10-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by magpieM View Post
    By the way, I don't think Joey is becoming a villain (at least for now). As he said before, he joined the team only because he wanted to find who killed Etienne. Every one has moved on from that tragedy. Yet he still couldn't find any new leads. Now that the team members are heading towards different directions, he began to lose hope and had low moment. (The 'journey of Defiance' didn't make him feel fulfilled, either)

Just wait and see. If the killer really turned out to be Rose, I'd like to see how Joey would react to that.
    I think its will be the final straw to push him over the edge.

it would be great if Priest's arcs could be adapted for one of DC's animated movies that they produce. That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    My point is that it set a precedent for when Johns brought him back nearly twenty years later and portrayed him as wholly antagonistic.
    And that was the greatest disservice to the character Johns could ever do. The fact that with Infinite Crisis the general atmosphere of the Teen Titans line was that of a snuff movie starring superteens certainly didn't help, but every memory I have of the stories featuring Jericho as a villain can be summarised in this single sentence: "dear God, why am I reading this depressing drag rather than doing something actually useful?"

So is there any convincing way to turn Slade into an antihero for the long term? Something of a John Wick type character in DC comics?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    So is there any convincing way to turn Slade into an antihero for the long term? Something of a John Wick type character in DC comics?
    I don't see it. But we'll have to see what Snyder does in NOPE JUSTICE.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I doubt it. Slade's problem always was that writers(especially Wolfman)would try to push him as an anywhere when his actions were always those of a villain.

Terra would probably work better as an antihero in the long term.