Page 1 of 85 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Deathstroke (2016)

Like the title says, this thread is for the discussion of DC Comics Deathstroke by Christopher Priest and Jason Paz/Carlo Pagulayan, ...or any other future writer or artist that may take over and/or fill in until a reboot happens.

I created this thread for a couple of reasons:

1. To keep all discussions regarding this comic in one place i.e news, update, delays, events, etc. or in this case to keep up a discussion.

2. To limit the number of posts created every time a new issue comes out or in this case have a constant thread readily available for issue discussions.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Deathstroke #20 Preview

Source
    Last edited by kurenai24; 06-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Deathstroke #20 Preview

Source

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Good idea - there are so many scattered threads, it would be nice to try to centralize discussion! Especially since there's so much to discuss!

I just read Kyle Higgins's 8 issues from the new 52 launch, the issue 0 to get a feel for Liefeild's run, and the last two issues of that first run. And even without touching Tony Daniel's run, wow, Priest is just straight up ignoring pretty much everything in the n52 for Deathstroke.

Not that I'm complaining at all. I really like Kyle Higgins as a writer, but his Deathstroke was incredibly boring to start with (just murdering people, with a hint of "my rep is slipping, gotta be extra murdery" for character depth), and while it got a bit more interesting with Grant's plan at the end of the 8 issues, it wasn't even half the story or depth that Priest got in just one or two issues, let alone his 20 so far. I also really like the fact that while Higgins and the other writers used Deathstroke's family as completely existing to facilitate Slade being a vicious badass, Priest is really giving every single one of them their own flaws, plans, agency, and development. Also they're all incredibly badass.

I really, really hope that going once a month gives this title enough legs to last another year. Priest deserves that for quality alone, even with the misstep that the crossover was.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I would have suggested a crossover to help boost sales, but after the Lazarus Contract I'm like no more crossovers, I want Priest to not be restricted in any way.

So maybe guest characters could help, and ultimately I think continued critical support.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I don't wanna read Lazarus Contract. Hopefully I can tune in to issue 20 without being super confused lol.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I would have suggested a crossover to help boost sales, but after the Lazarus Contract I'm like no more crossovers, I want Priest to not be restricted in any way.

So maybe guest characters could help, and ultimately I think continued critical support.
    I think guest characters, definitely - I actually really liked the way Priest wrote Damian in #5, and Batman as well (speaking of which, give Priest a Batman title, c'mon, DC!) The crossover, according to Priest, had a TON of editorial interference, most of it related to continuity - which is really weird, considering how much continuity from the n52 they let Priest just completely ignore (how many times did Slade's wife die? His kids? Nope, they're all fine, and just like they were in Judas Contract. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I don't wanna read Lazarus Contract. Hopefully I can tune in to issue 20 without being super confused lol.
    I think as long as you read summaries or spoilery reviews it'll be fine. The basic concept: Slade tries to make a deal with the Titans, specifically Nightwing and the two Wally Wests, to reverse his oldest son Grant's death, and promises to quit being an assassin forever if they help him do it. It doesn't work, and Slade decides to quit (anyway? It was a bit confusing). I think that's really all you need to know - the crossover had a really great concept, but the resolution wasn't very satisfying.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think guest characters, definitely - I actually really liked the way Priest wrote Damian in #5, and Batman as well (speaking of which, give Priest a Batman title, c'mon, DC!) The crossover, according to Priest, had a TON of editorial interference, most of it related to continuity - which is really weird, considering how much continuity from the n52 they let Priest just completely ignore (how many times did Slade's wife die? His kids? Nope, they're all fine, and just like they were in Judas Contract. ).
    I read his blog and apparently he was told that the way he wrote Damian in Deathstroke #5 was wrong and that editorial and the writer of teen titans was fine with his crossover version of Damian.

So this characterization along with other editorial mishaps makes me realize how much leeway Priest has gotten away with in Deathstroke, I'm just glad that Priest is left to his own little corner when it comes to Deasthstoke's world, I just wish Deathstroke had a cult following so that Deathstroke could have steady sales although I do think coming out once a month will help.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

I was thinking of picking this series up regularly with the status quo shift, haven't read any of it so I'm wondering if it's worth picking up the rest of the series?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Today's issue was good. Curious how they bring Terra into team defiance since she has yet to have any buildup since that ravengers book back in the second new 52 wave I think..

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I was thinking of picking this series up regularly with the status quo shift, haven't read any of it so I'm wondering if it's worth picking up the rest of the series?
    I'm a fan of Priest.
    I'm a bigger fan of Priest's run on Deathstroke. Personally, I say jump on for the ride while Priest is driving.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It's absolutely worth picking up - and probably better in trade. I tend to collect issues then read them in 3-4 issue clumps, so I don't lose the plot and character arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Today's issue was good. Curious how they bring Terra into team defiance since she has yet to have any buildup since that ravengers book back in the second new 52 wave I think..
    Well, I read issues 19-20 of the first n52 run, and Terra was in it. But those were some really dumb issues. Priest is really creating a perfect Rebirth title here - pretty solidly in the old style continuity, but with modern art and a certain modern sensibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I'm a fan of Priest.
    I'm a bigger fan of Priest's run on Deathstroke. Personally, I say jump on for the ride while Priest is driving.
    Agree!

Mighty Member

Welp I suppose this is my new favorite Titans team now. Slade was so menacing despite not liking anyone.

BANNED

What I like most about this book is how mysterious Slade is, even now I cant tell if he's really sincere or just manipulating everyone. Very surprised to see Adeline on the team.

Loved issue #20. My favorite part of this series has been Slade being a awful father figure his kids are stuck with, and now Tanya & Wally are stuck with him too.