Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Um. I agree that Deathstroke doesn't NEED Batman, but as a big fan of Batman, I think this is a great idea. Like the Teen Titans crossover, but with Priest having more control, hopefully, so it'll be a much better story!

(But I'm a Batfamily fan first and foremost, so I'm pretty much exactly the target audience for this - people who love Batman AND love Prieststroke).
    I'm a big Batman fan too, but for so long, its basically just that DC has been trying to make everything that's cool in the DC Universe have some sort of link to Batman because they don't think it could possibly survive without him. Suicide Squad? Stock it to the brim with Batman villains. Teen Titans? Make Damian Wayne (a character younger than everyone else on the team) the leader. I mean, we currently have an event going on about the evil version of Batman that are basically just Bruces who have aiped the characteristics of other DC characters.

So, now, we have Batman, again, aiping an iconic villain from another franchise and claiming him as his own because I think there's this mentality of Deathstroke being "too cool" for the Titans. Its like how Marvel sometimes forces Doctor Doom into confrontation with Iron Man.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-25-2018 at 12:13 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm a big Batman fan too, but for so long, its basically just that DC has been trying to make everything that's cool in the DC Universe have some sort of link to Batman. Suicide Squad? Stock it to the brim with Batman villains. Teen Titans? Make Damian Wayne (a character younger than everyone else on the team) the leader. I mean, we currently have an event going on about the evil version of Batman that are basically just Bruces who have aiped the characteristics of other DC characters.

So, now, we have Batman, again, aiping the Titans' most iconic villain and claiming him as his own because I think there's this mentality of Deathstroke being "too cool" for the Titans. Its like how Marvel sometimes forces Doctor Doom into confrontation with Iron Man.
    I mean, you're right. But as someone who primarily loves DC because of the Batfamily, I can't really complain. I'm part of the problem. I actually started reading Deathstroke seriously when it crossed over with Batman and Robin (the Damian/Bruce issues - #4-6, I think). So...it's exactly that kind of person DC is trying to get, I think.

I'm really not a fan of Metal, but I don't like events no matter what character they're focused around. Though if they ever focused an event around Stephanie Brown that didn't involve torturing her to death, that might change.

As for Priest, I don't think he's necessarily being completely cynical about this, though editorial might be. I think Priest genuinely loves Batman, and really wants to write him vs. Slade. And I, for one, am really, really excited to see him do that!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

I mean, you're right. But as someone who primarily loves DC because of the Batfamily, I can't really complain. I'm part of the problem. I actually started reading Deathstroke seriously when it crossed over with Batman and Robin (the Damian/Bruce issues - #4-6, I think). So...it's exactly that kind of person DC is trying to get, I think.

I'm really not a fan of Metal, but I don't like events no matter what character they're focused around. Though if they ever focused an event around Stephanie Brown that didn't involve torturing her to death, that might change.

As for Priest, I don't think he's necessarily being completely cynical about this, though editorial might be. I think Priest genuinely loves Batman, and really wants to write him vs. Slade. And I, for one, am really, really excited to see him do that!
    You might be right about Priest, but I'm at the point where I'm so sick of seeing Batman pop up in everything. And I think its getting to the point that its damaging the Batman franchise. Batman works best when he's in street-level, detective, crime noir stories. This whole attempt to have him be ringleader to the rest of the DCU, where he fights everyone ad everything, is stretching him thin. I think DC needs to dial it waaaaaaay back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You might be right about Priest, but I'm at the point where I'm so sick of seeing Batman pop up in everything. And I think its getting to the point that its damaging the Batman franchise. Batman works best when he's in street-level, detective, crime noir stories. This whole attempt to have him be ringleader to the rest of the DCU, where he fights everyone ad everything, is stretching him thin. I think DC needs to dial it waaaaaaay back.
    I mean, I can understand that feeling, but I know I get pretty excited whenever Batman shows up in stuff. So yes, I'm part of the problem. Sorry.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

I mean, I can understand that feeling, but I know I get pretty excited whenever Batman shows up in stuff. So yes, I'm part of the problem. Sorry.
    Lol. Its not your fault. You don't have to apologize.

You guys are like the two sides in my head that are warring against each other when it comes to Batman.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/29/e...roke-annual-1/

We have an Annual preview! And man, some really unexpected stuff in this one! Tanya seems to be in a very rough place, and wow...that Kid Flash interaction. Deathstroke seems to be fully evil again, which is sad, but inevitable - he never embraced doing good, just not doing evil, and a negative is not worth building your life around.

Not sure what I think of the Cowyn renderings of Defiance. They're so clean and polished, but Cowyn is so sketchy and raw and powerful. The tonal shift between Pagulayan/Neves/Bennett is pretty jarring, but it's nice to see that Cowyn is still part of Priest's network of artists.

Also...Power Girl! Wasn't there a solicit about her in JLA or something?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We have an Annual preview! And man, some really unexpected stuff in this one! Tanya seems to be in a very rough place, and wow...that Kid Flash interaction. Deathstroke seems to be fully evil again, which is sad, but inevitable - he never embraced doing good, just not doing evil, and a negative is not worth building your life around.

Not sure what I think of the Cowyn renderings of Defiance. They're so clean and polished, but Cowyn is so sketchy and raw and powerful. The tonal shift between Pagulayan/Neves/Bennett is pretty jarring, but it's nice to see that Cowyn is still part of Priest's network of artists.

This issue is going to be a roller coaster of emotions...gonna miss this team.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This issue is going to be a roller coaster of emotions...gonna miss this team.
    I think you're right. It feels like Slade's evil is being visited upon all of the team, good and bad alike.

Tanya dreaming of Power Girl reminded me that I thought I saw in Titans or Justice League of America or something that Karen Starr is supposed to show up again? Am I myself dreaming?

Jesus christ this issue is gonna be an explosion of drama.

1. Karen Starr aka Power Girl is coming back apparently, and wasn't there a solicit about a Defiance member not making it out alive, this puts Tanya in even more jeopardy.

2. Tanya is homophobic now ...or more likely being vindictive b/c she's jealous as it was revealed she liked Jericho.

3. Wally loves Tanya ...unless he meant as a friend, I mean yeah Wally has a crush on her but didn't he have something with Raven in Teen Titans.

4. Tanya talking about her mentor coming back and what it could mean for her, if she survives the confrontation with Deathstroke we know is on the horizon then she's getting a new superhero name for sure ...I think.

4a. As A.I. Wintergreen said Tanya would make a good ally so maybe she could become Deathstroke's new Isherwood, if she becomes broken and lost enough ...she already seems half way there.

5. Both Tanya and Wally like Deathstroke even though they know he's bad guy aww.

I'm ready for Wednesday but I am also a little scared ...idk if that is the right word.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Jesus christ this issue is gonna be an explosion of drama.

1. Karen Starr aka Power Girl is coming back apparently, and wasn't there a solicit about a Defiance member not making it out alive, this puts Tanya in even more jeopardy.

2. Tanya is homophobic now ...or more likely being vindictive b/c she's jealous as it was revealed she liked Jericho.

3. Wally loves Tanya ...unless he meant as a friend, I mean yeah Wally has a crush on her but didn't he have something with Raven in Teen Titans.

4. Tanya talking about her mentor coming back and what it could mean for her, if she survives the confrontation with Deathstroke we know is on the horizon then she's getting a new superhero name for sure ...I think.

4a. As A.I. Wintergreen said Tanya would make a good ally so maybe she could become Deathstroke's new Isherwood, if she becomes broken and lost enough ...she already seems half way there.

5. Both Tanya and Wally like Deathstroke even though they know he's bad guy aww.

I'm ready for Wednesday but I am also a little scared ...idk if that is the right word.
    I do not want to see Tanya fall. This preview was hard enough - maybe even more because I'm used to seeing the polished lines of Neves and Pagulayan for Tanya especially. Seeing her in her fluffy bathrobe being so raw as drawn by Cowyn - that's hard.

I do not want to see Tanya fall. This preview was hard enough - maybe even more because I'm used to seeing the polished lines of Neves and Pagulayan for Tanya especially. Seeing her in her fluffy bathrobe being so raw as drawn by Cowyn - that's hard.
    I guess depending on how you look at it was either foreshadowed that Tanya could work with Deathstroke or it was just an idea floated out there.

~~

~~

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I guess depending on how you look at it was either foreshadowed that Tanya could work with Deathstroke or it was just an idea floated out there.
    Priest is clearly writing her as really struggling. I think it's going to be a rough book for fans of hers. And, against all predictions, I've definitely become a fan of hers through this series.

(I'm not completely convinced that Tanya is specifically prejudiced against Joey's sexuality - I can see it being read that way, but I thought it was more him using her building for hookups of any kind - we already know she's a virgin, and thinks that birth control is a "license to steal.")

Priest is clearly writing her as really struggling. I think it's going to be a rough book for fans of hers. And, against all predictions, I've definitely become a fan of hers through this series.

(I'm not completely convinced that Tanya is specifically prejudiced against Joey's sexuality - I can see it being read that way, but I thought it was more him using her building for hookups of any kind - we already know she's a virgin, and thinks that birth control is a "license to steal.")
    Yeah, I didn't think it was honophobia either, I was looking at Tanya's words as part of a jealousy thing, but you bring up some good things that expands beyond that trope

And yes I liked Tanya before her guest appearance on Deathstroke, and I'm more so open to any direction ...except her death, but seeing her struggle and have uncertainty does make me uncertain about her future.

Now I am getting hyped for Wednesday's comic, I can't wait.

~~

~~