Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

I read a non-spoilery review, and it has me a bit scared for the comic.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm a big Batman fan too, but for so long, its basically just that DC has been trying to make everything that's cool in the DC Universe have some sort of link to Batman because they don't think it could possibly survive without him. Suicide Squad? Stock it to the brim with Batman villains. Teen Titans? Make Damian Wayne (a character younger than everyone else on the team) the leader. I mean, we currently have an event going on about the evil version of Batman that are basically just Bruces who have aiped the characteristics of other DC characters.

So, now, we have Batman, again, aiping an iconic villain from another franchise and claiming him as his own because I think there's this mentality of Deathstroke being "too cool" for the Titans. Its like how Marvel sometimes forces Doctor Doom into confrontation with Iron Man.
    You have a point but I trust Priest to deliver something meaningful. DC has indeed been positioning Slade as a Batman villain. But results have been lackluster at best based on the Son of Batman film and the Arkham games. Beware the Batman kind off succeeded but no one watched it lol. Similarly the Daniel/Bonny volume insisted on hamfisted association with the League of Assassins which were awful. The whole run was awful frankly.

If the ship is moving in that direction then I'd rather they have a captain like Priest than other guys hamming it up.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I read a non-spoilery review, and it has me a bit scared for the comic.
    Well, I have read the comic and:

spoilers:
    I thought it was a real rollercoaster. Priest did a really masterful job of making me believe that Tanya might kill herself, and my relief when I found out what she was really doing was incredibly intense.

I was even more moved when I realized that instead of trying to kill herself, Tanya actually faced her fears, as Slade was encouraging his team to do, and went to save the person who could take everything in her life that she valued. Because it was the right thing to do, even if it cost her. That was incredibly powerful.

Denys Cowyn's art was very good, but I still think it's really jarring compared to Neves, Pagulayan, and Bennett. I wish they'd use him more often to give more of a sense of artistic continuity. But on the other hand, I've really appreciated that Defiance is almost completely Neves, giving us a really solid stretch of art on an arc.

I'm really curious to see what happens in Chinatown. I really doubt they're going to kill someone else on the team, but the cover of the finale is pretty dark, with all of the team on the ground as Slade exits a building.

The whole Rose playing the Hmong princess really intrigues me...I hope it all makes sense, though.
    end of spoilers
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Fantastic Member

My shop didn’t have my copy of the annual today. Did it get pushed back?

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    My shop didn’t have my copy of the annual today. Did it get pushed back?
    No, it's out. I have my hot little hands on my copy.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I saw the comic and..
    spoilers:

Despite I saw powergirl initially, for one moment I believed that Tannya was death..
    end of spoilers

Priest did a good work with this annual.. Terra will be jealous of Adeline..
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-31-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I saw the comic and..
    spoilers:

Despite I saw powergirl initially, for one moment I believed that Tannya was death..

end of spoilers

Priest did a good work with this annual..
    That's the brilliance of Priest! He made it totally plausible, yet when he pulled the curtain away, that was even better!

I read it, wow, it was really good, it truly is the end of an arc ...and already I miss them as a team.

Poor Tanya, nobody knows the truth and I feel especially bad for Slade b/c he cares about her.

Also it seems like reviewers think Tanya is a homophobe or biphobic, and I can't even argue the point b/c we weren't given anything else, oh god I'll have to ask Priest, hopefully he answers.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-31-2018 at 03:34 PM.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

I read it, wow, it was really good, it truly is the end of an arc ...and already I miss them as a team.

Poor Tanya, nobody knows the truth and I feel especially bad for Slade b/c he cares about her.

Also it seems like reviewers think Tanya is a homophobe or biphobic, and I can't even argue the point b/c we weren't given anything else, oh god I'll have to ask Priest, hopefully he answers.
    I don't feel bad for Slade, per se, but it did hit me like a punch in the gut when Addy told Slade he loved Tanya.

The reviewers are going for the homophobic thing - and my response is - everyone's got sin. I think in a book about evil and the sins of the heart, which is what Deathstroke is, there isn't really a "good" character, so why are you so much more upset about bigotry than straight up murder (and implied statutary rape)?

A solid issue. And Terra is NOT gonna be happy if she finds out Slade had some fun time with the ex.

Well, fun time for the Wilsons, at least.

Does anyone think Priest could be writing a Teen Titans book after No Justice, idk, maybe I just enjoy his Beast Boy.

Also it seems DC is gearing up for JSA with this tease of OG!Power Girl, so this was a treat, although will both Power Girls still be stuck after the Chinatown arc ...I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I don't feel bad for Slade, per se, but it did hit me like a punch in the gut when Addy told Slade he loved Tanya.

The reviewers are going for the homophobic thing - and my response is - everyone's got sin. I think in a book about evil and the sins of the heart, which is what Deathstroke is, there isn't really a "good" character, so why are you so much more upset about bigotry than straight up murder (and implied statutary rape)?
    That's what I felt bad about b/c Slade does care about Tanya and now he thinks she's dead, as Priest stated in an interview Slade has a paternal affection for her.

One reviewer did mention that b/c Tanya's religious she would be against the whole sex before marriage or loveless sex thing, in any case I agree with your overall assessment.

~~

~~

Incredible Member

Also it seems DC is gearing up for JSA with this tease of OG!Power Girl, so this was a treat, although will both Power Girls still be stuck after the Chinatown arc ...I hope not.
    Well, who IS this Kara/Power Girl? N52-Earth-2-Power Girl? (Last we saw of her, she was flying around on the rebooted Earth-2 wearing an \S/ over the boob window. And why is she stuck out of time) Pre-Flashpoint PG somehow stuck like Wally was? (In which case, she wouldn't know Tanya).

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Well, who IS this Kara/Power Girl? N52-Earth-2-Power Girl? (Last we saw of her, she was flying around on the rebooted Earth-2 wearing an \S/ over the boob window. And why is she stuck out of time) Pre-Flashpoint PG somehow stuck like Wally was? (In which case, she wouldn't know Tanya).
    Remember, DC has combined characters before, like Supes and Lois. And after that happened, Kara already knew their son Jon. It was brief, but a really good issue. And Harley Quinn in her comic knows Power Girl, but that one is supposed to take place in the future or something.

This is absolutely one of my favourite runs in years! Speaks volumes of Priest that he made me care about such a motley crew of characters and I was genuinely sad at the team being torn apart.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That really hit me too, Slade's life is like a car crash that you just can't help looking at, everyone he cares about gets hurt eventually and he just keeps his emotions stowed away.
    When you crush an ant beneath your foot, do feel remorse? No. Is this because you are evil or because you recognize yourself as a higher form of life? This is what the Wizard could not understand. If I have the powers of the gods, then am I not a god myself? Should I not be treated as such?

BANNED

What a glorious car crash it is though.