Page 29 of 85 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I doubt it. Slade's problem always was that writers(especially Wolfman)would try to push him as an anywhere when his actions were always those of a villain.

Terra would probably work better as an antihero in the long term.
    Agreed. I think there isn't a writer who wants to make Slade any real kind of hero as a permanent status quo. Everyone knew from the beginning of Priest's Defiance run that Slade's time as a hero was extremely limited.

Also, I would say you're right about Terra (and probably most of the current supporting cast of Deathstroke) - they're all wanting to be some kind of hero, but they're not really capable of it for various reasons. Except for Wally and Tanya, of course.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I wouldn't say they aren't capable; anti-heroes are still heroes after all. They're just willing to go further than say, Superman or Batman to get stuff done.

The one difference between Batman and Red Hood is that Red Hood will kill if necessary.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

All-New Member

I have to say, after reading through the last six pages of this thread, I am surprised to see that many enjoy Deathstroke in its current state.
    I am by no means an internet troll or someone that "gets off" by stirring the pot. I am a huge Deathstroke fan. Slade is what actually drew me back to collecting comics. I started as a kid in the 80's and collected until the mid 90's.
    I think the Batman game that featured him ignited my interest in the character. Who was this guy that could stand toe to toe with Batman? Then I saw a picture of God killer Deathstroke and wanted to know more about who he was.
    Ebay helped me get my hands on most of the comics that included him and found myself in comic store again collecting every wednesday..... Now every week that Deathstroke is on sale, its a must buy, but I find myself wondering what
    the heck did I just read?? I don't like any other characters in this book except for Power Girl.

This book is hard to follow and this version of Deathstroke is forgettable. Every time I finish reading I find myself saying, "What was that??"

Maybe in light of the current state of the world, having a comic with a lead that is a brutal assassin might be in bad taste, but come on!!!
    It could be that i'm too 80's and 90's to appreciate this book. I'm not so selfish that I believe a comic should cater just to me. So if ya'll
    are enjoying, carrying on.

It seems like a couple of more books are cancelled by May ...I know Deathstroke is in the middle of an arc then but I am happy that he's chugging along.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    It seems like a couple of more books are cancelled by May ...I know Deathstroke is in the middle of an arc then but I am happy that he's chugging along.
    so books are ending.... for sure do we have a list?

I think they're hoping Deathstroke vs. Batman will draw in enough readers to keep the title viable. It seems like this book and New Super-Man and maybe a couple more are the ones they're keeping for critical acclaim. Unless we see Deathstroke getting up to around 30k per month, I think this arc will be the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    so books are ending.... for sure do we have a list?
    The books I see being tossed around are Super Sons, Birds of Prey, Titans, Teen Titans, Bombshells, Supergirl, and Harley Quinn. A couple of these are sales related, but I think most are related to NOPE JUSTICE and the Bendis Superman relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
    I have to say, after reading through the last six pages of this thread, I am surprised to see that many enjoy Deathstroke in its current state.
    I am by no means an internet troll or someone that "gets off" by stirring the pot. I am a huge Deathstroke fan. Slade is what actually drew me back to collecting comics. I started as a kid in the 80's and collected until the mid 90's.
    I think the Batman game that featured him ignited my interest in the character. Who was this guy that could stand toe to toe with Batman? Then I saw a picture of God killer Deathstroke and wanted to know more about who he was.
    Ebay helped me get my hands on most of the comics that included him and found myself in comic store again collecting every wednesday..... Now every week that Deathstroke is on sale, its a must buy, but I find myself wondering what
    the heck did I just read?? I don't like any other characters in this book except for Power Girl.

This book is hard to follow and this version of Deathstroke is forgettable. Every time I finish reading I find myself saying, "What was that??"

Maybe in light of the current state of the world, having a comic with a lead that is a brutal assassin might be in bad taste, but come on!!!
    It could be that i'm too 80's and 90's to appreciate this book. I'm not so selfish that I believe a comic should cater just to me. So if ya'll
    are enjoying, carrying on.
    If you are a longtime Deathstroke fan, then the situation is probably that this is a different type of Deathstroke than I've seen in the few times I've glanced at older issues from previous series. Priest's Deathstroke has attracted a lot of people who didn't read Deathstroke previously - the Deathstroke "casuals" like myself. I'm not sure how many previous Deathstroke fans jumped on or stayed on - but it does seem that most of the people here in the thread are "new" to the character as a solo title.

As for liking characters - I find myself liking all of the characters, but they're all terrible people. I think Priest has done a really good job with that. It is extremely labyrinthine in plot - but I think that challenge of figuring out what's going on is really rewarding when it all pays off, as it did in the Annual recently.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Here's another one: http://capelesscrusader.org/planet-c...oke-vs-batman/

I feel strongly about his not liking Batman on the Justice League. I also really hate the fact that Batman is on the League, even though I understand from a financial and fan perspective why he is.

But I think it's clear that Priest loves Batman - he just doesn't necessarily love how Batman has been used for the past ten years. The Spy vs. Spy stuff is exactly what I want to see - it's what we got for two glorious issues early in this series, and I fully expect we're going to get that in these six. The idea of Batman telling Deathstroke he can't kill him, but he's going to stop him from doing anything he wants is hilarious and really exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Here's another one: http://capelesscrusader.org/planet-c...oke-vs-batman/

I feel strongly about his not liking Batman on the Justice League. I also really hate the fact that Batman is on the League, even though I understand from a financial and fan perspective why he is.

But I think it's clear that Priest loves Batman - he just doesn't necessarily love how Batman has been used for the past ten years. The Spy vs. Spy stuff is exactly what I want to see - it's what we got for two glorious issues early in this series, and I fully expect we're going to get that in these six. The idea of Batman telling Deathstroke he can't kill him, but he's going to stop him from doing anything he wants is hilarious and really exciting to me.
    Oh of course Priest likes Batman, I don't think that can be denied but he has opinions on how the characters should be and I tend to agree with him for the most part, like the interview I posted he talks about how it doesn't make sense for Aquaman, Namor, and Black Panther to be on teams (i.e Avengers or Justice League) b/c they essentially have coountries to run and prioritize first and things like that and I agree.

I would never want to see Batman leave the Justice League but even in comics there are times where my mind won't give writers leeway in make Batman more capable of taking down a god like opponent, like sometimes those kinds of things can really take me out of my immersion even if all this stuff is "make believe"

~~

~~

Oh of course Priest likes Batman, I don't think that can be denied but he has opinions on how the characters should be and I tend to agree with him for the most part, like the interview I posted he talks about how it doesn't make sense for Aquaman, Namor, and Black Panther to be on teams (i.e Avengers or Justice League) b/c they essentially have coountries to run and prioritize first and things like that and I agree.

I would never want to see Batman leave the Justice League but even in comics there are times where my mind won't give writers leeway in make Batman more capable of taking down a god like opponent, like sometimes those kinds of things can really take me out of my immersion even if all this stuff is "make believe"
    I mean, I actually don't even think Batman should exist in the same world as Superman, just because of my own philosophical take on each character's meaning and context.

I also think it's very interesting that Priest is open in talking about his disppointment that his arc was always basically a filler stopgap before Snyder's run starts.

Hmm, I never really thought about Superman and Batman not being in the same universe/world.

Priest says whatever, I mean he even said something about Diamond which seems a no-no for anyone in the comic business but I appreciate that honesty and I would hope any comic publushers he works for wouldn't try to reign him in and instead would listen to some of his advice he has given on where to distribute those comics.

~~

~~

Hmm, I never really thought about Superman and Batman not being in the same universe/world.

Priest says whatever, I mean he even said something about Diamond which seems a no-no for anyone in the comic business but I appreciate that honesty and I would hope any comic publushers he works for wouldn't try to reign him in and instead would listen to some of his advice he has given on where to distribute those comics.
    Yep. I really wish the publishers would figure something out with the distributors. Though I think Zoom and Ink are trying to get something going outside of the DM.

I still love the fact that he tried to get Christianity Today to do a piece on Deathstroke when he did that issue where Slade quotes the Bible at Tanya. That was hilarious and awesome.

Spectacular Member

In this interview, I think Priest technically revealed the outline of the incoming Deathstroke vs Batman story...

Quote Originally Posted by magpieM View Post
    In this interview, I think Priest technically revealed the outline of the incoming Deathstroke vs Batman story...
    He does that a lot. He did that for Lazarus Contract and for a lot of his early arcs as well. And he gave away that Deathstroke wasn't going to stay a "hero." But I think his writing is strong enough that it's not dependent on being spoiler free to be excellent.

Spectacular Member

He does that a lot. He did that for Lazarus Contract and for a lot of his early arcs as well. And he gave away that Deathstroke wasn't going to stay a "hero." But I think his writing is strong enough that it's not dependent on being spoiler free to be excellent.
    Yes I think so. Somebody deliberately causes their collision and forces Batman to show the concrete DNA test result. I'm just wondering who's been plotting this drama. Priest quoted the 'great scene' written by Grant Morrison. I sincerely hope Priest wasn't implying who this guy is...