Page 36 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    This encounter delivered everything that I wanted and then some. I loved the references like how the Robin who speaks about Batman is clearly Dick Grayson and that little segment says a lot about both of them. The contrast between Bruce and Slade is quickly stated and works nicely for their fight which seems to be just a preview of what is about to come.

Solid art as well. Pretty promising.
    I thought it was Dick at first, but then I thought that given Slade's history, it being Jason would also make sense, since it's about sons who are failed by their fathers.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I agree - but since I never expected Deathstroke to be Damian's father, I'm glad that Priest just got it out of the way. I want to know - is it Alfred and Wintergreen trying to get Slade and Bruce to relax a bit? Is it someone else? Or a combination of both!
    Yeah every time I think about how it was made clear that Bruce did a DNA test I can't help but laugh because it would have not made sense for Bruce to have not done a DNA test on Damian. I'm pretty sure Alfred and Wintergreen are talking about Bruce and Slade.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Deathstroke #30 goes to second printing, so cool! I know Batman’s presence had a lot to do with it, but I hope some people who don’t normally read the title get interested on it

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04...ond-printings/
    This makes me extremely happy. I hope it brings sales back up enough to get Deathstroke above the cancellation line. I want Priest on Deathstroke until at least issue 50.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    This makes me extremely happy. I hope it brings sales back up enough to get Deathstroke above the cancellation line. I want Priest on Deathstroke until at least issue 50.
    Ooooh, that would be pretty awesome! I'd be happy to get at least six more issues after this one - that would be 42 issues, and a full year after the series was probably hitting cancellation. I'm really happy that DC is willing to let Priest keep doing stuff - Defiance/Dark Titans, and now Deathstroke vs. Batman (and I've said it before, but I really think it's a good thing that he's doing it solo instead of as a crossover). Hopefully if we get another arc (as Priest deserves!) it'll be another completely unexpected direction. (And I wouldn't mind seeing Diogenes Neves come back! He was really solid on Defiance.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Man, the motivation behind all this is stupid as hell.
    On the surface, yes. But let it play out...

Slade feels the same, something bigger is at play...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Agreed! It's so awesome - all the character moments and setup, and then the great fight. Pagulayan is so good.

Really bummed I'm not in Chicago, so I can't get the C2E2 foil cover.
    Agreed! Hopefully Pagulayan had enough lead time to do the whole arc, he started this ride with Priest, redesigning Slade’s suit n all. Whenever this run ends, Pag should definitely be the artist for that arc as well. Pleased to see this issue already getting a second print. Also, I won’t be at C2E2, so Ebay it is, gotta have one of those foil cover joints...

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Meh. I recall that the last guy who tried that sort of bit got his nose headbutted halfway through his head...
    Was it Slade??
    #MagnetoWasRight

Late, but I love this issue, felt like a good pilot. Love that Alfred and Wintergreen know each other and commiserate.

And maybe it's just me, but Deathstroke and Batman sound different and yet similar at the same time, their voices are different, their approach to situations are different but despite seeing, reading and feeling that difference I also feel the similarities. I definitely understand the mirror images thing.

Loved seeing Dick and Jericho here, hope we get to see the other Robins, and Rose and maybe something from Grant.

Also a Priest interview never disppoints.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 04-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Always Rakzo

I thought it was Dick at first, but then I thought that given Slade's history, it being Jason would also make sense, since it's about sons who are failed by their fathers.
    I don't think that's the case since Jason wouldn't have been so fixated on the idea of "justice or vengeance", Jason believes not all is black and white while Dick is all the contrary.

This is going on my list as a potential single best issue of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    Agreed! Hopefully Pagulayan had enough lead time to do the whole arc, he started this ride with Priest, redesigning Slade’s suit n all. Whenever this run ends, Pag should definitely be the artist for that arc as well. Pleased to see this issue already getting a second print. Also, I won’t be at C2E2, so Ebay it is, gotta have one of those foil cover joints...
    I would be totally okay with Pagulayan or Neves on the next arc. Or Bennett, though I would hope they use a more appropriate inker than the one he used for Phoenix or Detective recently.

I'll be checking ebay for a foil cover as well. Hopefully it doesn't get too pricy - the base price is $15, so I'm betting resale will just add to that.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Late, but I love this issue, felt like a good pilot. Love that Alfred and Wintergreen know each other and commiserate.

And maybe it's just me, but Deathstroke and Batman sound different and yet similar at the same time, their voices are different, their approach to situations are different but despite seeing, reading and feeling that difference I also feel the similarities. I definitely understand the mirror images thing.

Loved seeing Dick and Jericho here, hope we get to see the other Robins, and Rose and maybe something from Grant.

Also a Priest never disppoints.
    Not at all late! We're here for the next six months!

The Alfred and Wintergreen thing was very surprising, but it feels completely appropriate.

Priest's writing is so full of subtleties and craft. He's got his own distinctive style, but he's also not so strongly into his own voice that it overwhelms each character's.

I also hope we get to see more of both Slade and Bruce's families. (Obviously, I have a fondness for Steph, so I'd love to see her.) But I think Tim could be really interesting, and Damian is almost certain. Rose would be really great to see as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I don't think that's the case since Jason wouldn't have been so fixated on the idea of "justice or vengeance", Jason believes not all is black and white while Dick is all the contrary.
    I don't think the Robin who was in the flashback was supposed to be agreeing with Batman. I think he's just describing Batman (and also probably adding a bit of critique in his phrasing/attitude).

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    This is going on my list as a potential single best issue of the year.
    Wow! I would have put the Deathstroke Annual a bit higher than this one, but hopefully this arc builds to something similar, since the Annual was the finale of Defiance.

Oh, man, not having the annual! That was so important to the Defiance storyline! It was so emotionally shattering - TWICE! And then go on to Chinatown. Man. Really awesome.

I do hope that Priest gets a chance to get Tayna back, and indeed, for Slade to know she's okay.
    I was shook when Wally found Tanya. I was convinced the standoff with with the officer was the end of the issue and almost went to the next one before the last two pages . Also spoilers:
    Slade killed Etienne right? Or am I trippin and that's not what Billy was implying in Chinatown.
    end of spoilers

I would be totally okay with Pagulayan or Neves on the next arc. Or Bennett, though I would hope they use a more appropriate inker than the one he used for Phoenix or Detective recently.
    I really hope this series lasts long enough to get another arc drawn by Bennett, though him doing the new Hulk series probably hurts the chances of that happening. He has a slight edge as my favorite artist on this run.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    I was shook when Wally found Tanya. I was convinced the standoff with with the officer was the end of the issue and almost went to the next one before the last two pages . Also spoilers:
    Slade killed Etienne right? Or am I trippin and that's not what Billy was implying in Chinatown.
    end of spoilers

I really hope this series lasts long enough to get another arc drawn by Bennett, though him doing the new Hulk series probably hurts the chances of that happening. He has a slight edge as my favorite artist on this run.
    No, spoilers:
    Rose killed Etienne when her sword from the future took over her personality
    end of spoilers.

I do like Bennett a lot! I have a lot of nostalgia for his style from Birds of Prey. But interesting that he's your favorite. Mine is probably either Pag or Neves - both have a fine lined but clean figure style I really like. But Bennett has a really clean line, appealing face thing going on.

No, spoilers:
    Rose killed Etienne when her sword from the future took over her personality
    end of spoilers.

I do like Bennett a lot! I have a lot of nostalgia for his style from Birds of Prey. But interesting that he's your favorite. Mine is probably either Pag or Neves - both have a fine lined but clean figure style I really like. But Bennett has a really clean line, appealing face thing going on.
    The unfortunate part of the Deathstroke comic was the relationship between Rose and her husband because it was clear she had no liking for him but as Priest closed his run they are still married for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    The unfortunate part of the Deathstroke comic was the relationship between Rose and her husband because it was clear she had no liking for him but as Priest closed his run they are still married for some reason.
    I don't think that's true. I think Rose likes Hosun fine, and we see them getting closer throughout Defiance. It's just that the focus on all the difference members of Defiance made it tricky to follow.

I don't think that's true. I think Rose likes Hosun fine, and we see them getting closer throughout Defiance. It's just that the focus on all the difference members of Defiance made it tricky to follow.
    I've been reading the Defiance arc and it's clear at the very least Rose was willing to protect Hosun and they even share a bed together like all married couples do but I generally question whether Rose really loved Hosun when the only reason she married him was to spite her father.