Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Annual, special, whatever, if you remember it being annual it's probably that then.

Yes, Slade was totally unbothered which furthered made it obvious that Batman was Damian's father.
    Well, I bought the annual because of Priest's one-shot. It was great!

But yeah, Slade's attitude was what really makes me think that Bruce is really the father, and the real plot will be something else (well, I also think that Alfred and Wintergreen are screwing with their masters, so I guess I'm just full of crazy theories).

MAN do I wish I could have gone to C2E2. Priest AND Pagulayan! And that panel! And I could have gotten a foil cover of issue 30! (I mean, I ebayed it already, so I'm really excited about that, but it would have been really amazing.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Lmao Priest is clearly screwing with people, just like how Dan Slott told people Otto was going to be Spider-Man forever, and Peter was never coming back. I keep wondering how people fall for these obvious bait and switches but I guess I give people too much credit. Priest isn’t going to spoil the ending of his own arc.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Lmao Priest is clearly screwing with people, just like how Dan Slott told people Otto was going to be Spider-Man forever, and Peter was never coming back. I keep wondering how people fall for these obvious bait and switches but I guess I give people too much credit. Priest isn’t going to spoil the ending of his own arc.
    I agree. I think he likes trolling people, but in a good humored way. Reading his blog, he seems to genuinely love his characters and enjoy his fans, but he's also an old school dude who has a proper work-life balance. He doesn't think his characters are real, but treats writing them seriously. (Though I think sometimes his attempts to do other cultures are a bit heavy handed. A lot of British people are mad about his Alfred/Wintergreen scene, and I admit I skimmed all the soccer stuff, because I don't like sports. )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

They finally posted the video! https://youtu.be/jVgKpDVbQFE?t=1h49m19s

Will watch, and then check back later with thoughts!

So, it's just about 12 minutes, and a lot of it was pretty mild content (never met each other, writing scripts, thoughts on the movie version). So (I hate to say it), the reporting was pretty correct. Though I think the way the presenter asked the questions wasn't super helpful. Lots of leading the interview and weird phrasing. Priest does say that it's "slightly outside of continuity," but to me, that mostly means that it's not taking place right after Defiance, but is instead at a somewhat vague point before that storyline (though I'm not quite sure where that gap can really work, so maybe it really doesn't connect directly with this run).

Priest doesn't seem to be quite joking about the whole "I don't know who the dad is," but it's also pretty clear that decisions like that are up to editorial, not the writer. Though I wonder if he wants to see if he can get enough support to push a Slade paternity through (I seriously doubt it'll happen, though).

That being said, I really love it when a creator seems to enjoy talking to the fans like he does. It's definitely why I loved going to see Tom King and James Tynion IV for the past three years. There's a real sense that they're fellow fans, and enjoy being with people who care as much as they do.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, it's just about 12 minutes, and a lot of it was pretty mild content (never met each other, writing scripts, thoughts on the movie version). So (I hate to say it), the reporting was pretty correct. Though I think the way the presenter asked the questions wasn't super helpful. Lots of leading the interview and weird phrasing. Priest does say that it's "slightly outside of continuity," but to me, that mostly means that it's not taking place right after Defiance, but is instead at a somewhat vague point before that storyline (though I'm not quite sure where that gap can really work, so maybe it really doesn't connect directly with this run).

Priest doesn't seem to be quite joking about the whole "I don't know who the dad is," but it's also pretty clear that decisions like that are up to editorial, not the writer. Though I wonder if he wants to see if he can get enough support to push a Slade paternity through (I seriously doubt it'll happen, though).

That being said, I really love it when a creator seems to enjoy talking to the fans like he does. It's definitely why I loved going to see Tom King and James Tynion IV for the past three years. There's a real sense that they're fellow fans, and enjoy being with people who care as much as they do.
    But he already gave himself away in the first issue and if he thinks it's wise to run Damian into Slade's son he clearly learned nothing from what happened to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's return to their original heritage. Because if he goes through with it I don't see it going well.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    But he already gave himself away in the first issue and if he thinks it's wise to run Damian into Slade's son he clearly learned nothing from what happened to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's return to their original heritage. Because if he goes through with it I don't see it going well.
    We'll see. At this point, I have a lot of trust in Priest as a storyteller, so I'm just going to let it play out.

We'll see. At this point, I have a lot of trust in Priest as a storyteller, so I'm just going to let it play out.
    I hope so I'm actually one of those who would be upset if they change Damian's parentage. But everything involved here is out of my hands and I have no choice but to leave to Priest. But if it was simply a matter of changing Damian's parentage then the story would not need six issues. But yeah I just want to see how it will play out as well. Still it could end up being a similar case where Marv Wolfman writer of the New Teen Titans tried to pair Dick and Donna but editorial said no.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-08-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Spectacular Member

I still think that Damian will remain to be Bruce's son. He's already 13. Everyone should be able to tell that he looks like Bruce.

By the way, Joey and Rose were both conceived after Slade was enhanced by the experiment. Joey can possess other people by making eye contact and Rose was born to have some special physical appearance (like her hair and eyes colors). Damian is much younger than them. If he's Slade's son he should also have some trace of unusual features on his own, too (or maybe he is just not old enough to show?).
    Last edited by magpieM; 04-08-2018 at 02:20 AM.

I hope so I'm actually one of those who would be upset if they change Damian's parentage. But everything involved here is out of my hands and I have no choice but to leave to Priest. But if it was simply a matter of changing Damian's parentage then the story would not need six issues. But yeah I just want to see how it will play out as well. Still it could end up being a similar case where Marv Wolfman writer of the New Teen Titans tried to pair Dick and Donna but editorial said no.
    I am someone who wouldn't be that upset if Damian weren't Bruce's blood son, because I'm really sick of Damian's "no one is a real member of the Batfamily except me" attitude, and the corresponding attitude I see from a significant proportion of Damian's fans (who like to come into discussions and tell me that everyone except Damain is a terrible character). I like Damian, but Bruce doesn't love him more because he shares blood. He feels a unique responsibility for him, but that doesn't mean he's more Bruce's child.

But anyway, all that baggage aside, I have no doubt that the issue won't be a huge misdirect.

I am someone who wouldn't be that upset if Damian weren't Bruce's blood son, because I'm really sick of Damian's "no one is a real member of the Batfamily except me" attitude, and the corresponding attitude I see from a significant proportion of Damian's fans (who like to come into discussions and tell me that everyone except Damain is a terrible character). I like Damian, but Bruce doesn't love him more because he shares blood. He feels a unique responsibility for him, but that doesn't mean he's more Bruce's child.

But anyway, all that baggage aside, I have no doubt that the issue won't be a huge misdirect.
    Understandable but the main problem with Damian is some writers have a bad habit of resetting his develop Priest was one of them when he had him give Wally West I that heart problem. It happens pretty often that a writer come in and actually humble Damian. But some just outright ignore his prior development and just revert him to his bratty attitude. It's really a problem when writing comics as I said is basically writing a round robin fanfiction that never enters it's third act to finish the story. So if Damian reaches that stage what's next then what new direction can they take character that doesn't involve regressing his development. Misdirect what do you mean?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-08-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Well it's not exactly Damian's fault some writers have a bad habit of resetting his develop Priest was one of them. If you actually have a writer come in and actually humble Damian and make him realise that he maybe Batman's blood son but it does not mean he has a unique responsibility to him. But some just outright ignore his prior development and just revert him to his bratty attitude. It's really a problem when writing comics as I said is basically writing a round robin fanfiction that never enters it's third act to finish the story. So if Damian reaches that stage what's next then what new direction can they take character that doesn't involve regressing his development.
    Priest didn't reset his development, he attempted to capture the tension of his character. I agree with Priest that if Damian just becomes "nice," then he's not interesting anymore. But you could have him learn on some specific attitudes, like the "blood is the only measure of worth" one. And I don't think Priest used that characteristic in Lazarus Contract.

I don't have a problem with Damian being bratty. I have a problem with the specific problem of his "I'm the real son of Batman" attitude. And more than that, I have a problem when some of Damian's fans carry it over into real life and constantly hate other characters as "unworthy."

That's what I hope Priest can give Damian in this story, though there's no guarantee that Damian will even be in the series.

Priest didn't reset his development, he attempted to capture the tension of his character. I agree with Priest that if Damian just becomes "nice," then he's not interesting anymore. But you could have him learn on some specific attitudes, like the "blood is the only measure of worth" one. And I don't think Priest used that characteristic in Lazarus Contract.

I don't have a problem with Damian being bratty. I have a problem with the specific problem of his "I'm the real son of Batman" attitude. And more than that, I have a problem when some of Damian's fans carry it over into real life and constantly hate other characters as "unworthy."

That's what I hope Priest can give Damian in this story, though there's no guarantee that Damian will even be in the series.
    That's how Priest feels about Dick he's so nice to the point there's nothing anyone can do with him. I think for some the way Priest used Damian in Lazarus Contract was a step too far into regressing him. I honestly thought Damian had moved past that stage off his life where he thought as Batman's son it meant that he was entitled to special privileges. Because some found the way Tynion wrote him in Detective Comics to be a little off. Well you have to remember fans are crazy the divide in the Batman fandom over the Robins is bad but nowhere as worse as the divide over the Earth Green Lantern because DC has a bad habit of trying to make Hal Jordan the greatest Green Lantern when Hal never really thinks himself in that light. Give or take how Priest appears to be lobbying to make Damian Deathstroke's son he could appear though knowing DC they will never do it not even if the fans want it to happen. This isn't the same way as how Jason was voted to be killed off.

That's how Priest feels about Dick he's so nice to the point there's nothing anyone can do with him. I think for some the way Priest used Damian in Lazarus Contract was a step too far into regressing him. I honestly thought Damian had moved past that stage off his life where he thought as Batman's son it meant that he was entitled to special privileges. Because some found the way Tynion wrote him in Detective Comics to be a little off. Well you have to remember fans are crazy the divide in the Batman fandom over the Robins is bad but nowhere as worse as the divide over the Earth Green Lantern because DC has a bad habit of trying to make Hal Jordan the greatest Green Lantern when Hal never really thinks himself in that light. Give or take how Priest appears to be lobbying to make Damian Deathstroke's son he could appear though knowing DC they will never do it not even if the fans want it to happen. This isn't the same way as how Jason was voted to be killed off.
    Oh, I know fans are not happy with Lazarus Contract. I really hope that doesn't negatively impact this arc, but the online response to this panel has been pretty vicious. Which sadly just reinforces my experience of this segment of Damian fans.

I do think Tynion didn't use Damian well in Tec 975, despite my overall strong love of that issue. It didn't speak well of the character, and didn't add to the issue very well.

Oh, as a member of the "Steph is a great Robin and Batgirl" club, I am all aware of the violent divides between various Batfamily members. But it gets tiring when you just want to read a good story. Especially since I have no illusion that Damian's paternity will change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    This takes place before all of that, there is an EW interview in the last few pages back that mentions it.
    Thank! I read your answer a couple of days ago but forgot to thank you
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH