Page 56 of 85 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Loved this weeks issue. Good dialogue and a cool climatic fight.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Loved this weeks issue. Good dialogue and a cool climatic fight.
    Indeed! Priest knows how to pack a punch - having Bruce be so abrupt and intense when he finds out what Damian did last issue was great. It really shows what Priest was saying on his website - that Batman can't say that Robin is his heart, but we can read between the lines and see how much this is hurting him because of his love for Damian.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Well this is the issue most people wanted when they started this series before they figured out Priest isn't like other writers. And what I mean is, half the issue is devoted to them fighting (and throwing truth bombs at each other).

As I said on another forum last month, there hasn't been an issue where it isn't confirmed that Damian is not Batman's son, and this one is no different, even when Deathstroke tried to play the whole "maybe you lied to robin about the DNA test", we still had a confirmation from Deathstroke saying Robin is not my kid, and you don't believe me b/c of what I represent to you.

Ugh, this was great.

I know people who don't read Deathstroke's regular series came into this arc for the fights, and others for the answer about the obvious parentage question b/c that what was promoted etc, but like Priest himself said, he wanted to explore how Deathstroke and Batman are mirror images, and that's what I'm enjoying most.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, as I suspected, Slade knows that Bruce supports Batman, but doesn't care enough to try to figure out if Bruce actually is Batman.

I need to do a reread, because the first readthrough, I was a bit frustrated by the way this issue didn't actually go anywhere. But I think the art was great - really nice to see Pagulayan on full art duties again - hope that he can handle the full finale, too, and Benes giving him a break allowed him time to catch up.

There's a page on Deathstroke: Arkham at the back of DC Nation #3 (https://www.comixology.com/DC-Nation...l-comic/702881), which is free, and Priest talks a bit about influences, not about plot, really (surprise!) I'm glad they're giving him some promotion, though. While I'm bummed that Diogenes Neves isn't coming back for this arc, Benes did such a great job with the third issue of Deathstroke vs. Batman that I'm glad to hear he's coming back (Benes was back in Birds of Prey form from 2003, instead of the subpar stuff he turned in for Birds of Prey 2010, thankfully.)
    There was also a short interview from Priest on DC Nation #1.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Well this is the issue most people wanted when they started this series before they figured out Priest isn't like other writers. And what I mean is, half the issue is devoted to them fighting (and throwing truth bombs at each other).

As I said on another forum last month, there hasn't been an issue where it isn't confirmed that Damian is not Batman's son, and this one is no different, even when Deathstroke tried to play the whole "maybe you lied to robin about the DNA test", we still had a confirmation from Deathstroke saying Robin is not my kid, and you don't believe me b/c of what I represent to you.

Ugh, this was great.

I know people who don't read Deathstroke's regular series came into this arc for the fights, and others for the answer about the obvious parentage question b/c that what was promoted etc, but like Priest himself said, he wanted to explore how Deathstroke and Batman are mirror images, and that's what I'm enjoying most.

There was also a short interview from Priest on DC Nation #1.
    This whole arc is so great. I saw people complaining about "too much talking" and I was like, "Go read Liefield or Daniel, then."

The parallels, the way each gives the other MORE meaning when they fight, is why I love it too.

That's right about the DC Nation interview! That was a bit longer - two pages rather than one - but hopefully they'll keep giving him space!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

My favorite part was Slade and Bats roasting each other. One more issue to go and then it's back to Arkham. I can't wait to see how Priest writes that place.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    My favorite part was Slade and Bats roasting each other. One more issue to go and then it's back to Arkham. I can't wait to see how Priest writes that place.
    Absolutely! This is some real Two Towers stuff, here - first, I was disappointed that we were leaving Slade in Arkham, with Rose, Joey, and the rest of Defiance all in disarray - and now I'm sad to leave Slade, Bruce, Damian, Wintergreen, Alfred, Addy, and even Talia! Priest is a master.

I kind of can't wait to see if Slade teams up with some Arkham villains after this parentage arc is wrapped up.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I kind of can't wait to see if Slade teams up with some Arkham villains after this parentage arc is wrapped up.
    Priest was talking about Two-Face in DC Nation this week...you think he'll be using the dude in the next arc?

http://arcreactionspodcast.blogspot....ccon-2018.html

Pretty nice interview with Priest from two months ago, in which he gives a really in-depth answer about Joey's sexuality and morality.

All-New Member

I for one dislike every Deathstroke Priest has written for. Every book I purchase, I would hope to read something interesting about Slade. Some great adventure or contract he takes on. This web Priest
    weaves is confusing and uninteresting. I'll admit the Batman arc is better than everything else, but besides that I can't remember one issue I want to re read. I have every book since they gave Slade
    his series back. Nothing is properly laid out or explained. He has made ever character he writes about difficult to relate to. I'm not connected to any character. A writers responsibility is to draw you
    in, make you care, make you want more.

Deathstroke really caught my eye while playing the Batman game years ago. Then the TB when he had the God-killer swords. The writing wasn't stellar, but the action was great. (Can he somehow get those
    swords back??) I read this comic and can't connect to DS on any level. It's like listen to a musician play and it just a bunch of sounds with no melody.

Every time I pick up the title and see Priest's name on it, I groan.

I have been skimming through the thread and I see some talking about either, Priest's end or the book's end. If is a sales issue, I'm not surprised. It would be great to see Deathstrokes direction change like
    Frank Castle will now that he doesn't have the armor. It would be great to see someone like Matthew Rosenberg write for Deathstroke. All the things I've ever loved about Slade I see no where in his book.
    I've often considered not reading it anymore, but I seriously love the character and I want him to have some kind of platform, even if I don't enjoy the read.
    Last edited by dflat57; 08-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Different strokes, I love Priest's writing. It's in depth and forces you to remember stuff from months, or even years, back.

It's not just guns and action. It's subtle and cruel and wonderful.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Different strokes, I love Priest's writing. It's in depth and forces you to remember stuff from months, or even years, back.

Agreed. I love the way Priest makes you figure out when and why everything is happening, and the way he plays with parallel themes and visuals, and above all, how he gives you so much moral content without either preaching or making evil seem good.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post

Deathstroke IS guns and action!!!! That's the what he is. If someone who never knew who Deathstroke was asked you to describe him, how would you?? I purchase

his title to see the contract, tactical genius in action. The every growing stories and adventures of a ruthless killer. Not pages full of blah blah that mean nothing. Books and

books, months and months, nothing but yap about what?? Deathstroke is on display every month and after I read his title, I close the last page and think about how that gave me

nothing. But for the few of you who like book that goes no where, enjoy!!

In depth.... Debatable. And if by subtle, you mean boring, spot on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
    Deathstroke IS guns and action!!!! That's the what he is. If someone who never knew who Deathstroke was asked you to describe him, how would you?? I purchase

his title to see the contract, tactical genius in action. The every growing stories and adventures of a ruthless killer. Not pages full of blah blah that mean nothing. Books and

books, months and months, nothing but yap about what?? Deathstroke is on display every month and after I read his title, I close the last page and think about how that gave me

We said it isn't JUST. It does include those things.

The pages of dialogue definitely don't mean nothing - they're exploration of family and morality.

I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by this conversation, though. You've had your say, and that's totally fair, but what now? Do you want to convince us that we're wrong to like a book we like? What does that accomplish?

Quote Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post

The Deathstroke you're talking about is very one-dimensional. Priest is forging a way more complex character.