Page 60 of 85 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    We have a preview! Finally! https://www.cbr.com/preview-deathstroke-36/

Kinda funny, starting off with Deathstroke beating on all of the villains, while we get a recap to get us up to speed (even though I literally just did that last night. )

Still bummed that Pasarin is doing art for this arc.
    It always makes me laugh when Grundy is shown to be in Arkham. Is the mental hospital trying to cure him from being a zombie?!?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It always makes me laugh when Grundy is shown to be in Arkham. Is the mental hospital trying to cure him from being a zombie?!?
    I think it might be a dream sequence (same for the cover and variant cover's selection of villains), given that I can't see even Arkham giving Slade access to his full gear.

I find it interesting that Priest has been playing with the "classic" look a lot, instead of his Ikon look.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

We have a preview! Finally! https://www.cbr.com/preview-deathstroke-36/

Kinda funny, starting off with Deathstroke beating on all of the villains, while we get a recap to get us up to speed (even though I literally just did that last night. )

Still bummed that Pasarin is doing art for this arc.
    Say it ain't so, not Riddler, he's a fave of mine, I hope this is a dream or something.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Say it ain't so, not Riddler, he's a fave of mine, I hope this is a dream or something.
    There's no way the killing of Riddler isn't some kind of dream or delusion. I wouldn't worry!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Omigosh.

DoQw8-3WkAIaOdP.jpg

Oh. My. Gosh.

I mean omigosh.

Here we go, fellow Deathstroke fans! Descending into madness...and some very interesting things are raised with issue #36!

Do you think that Slade really DOES have some kind of device projecting Billy into his head, or is he truly insane?

How will Rose get free from Willow (and I was very sad that Claire evidently was really dead in #29 )? Will she and Hosun stay together? I'm really happy that we got a good chunk of Rose and Joey right away, since we had no clue how everything would go. Will Joey put on his dad's costume to trick Rose into getting away from Willow? Will that cause problems for Joey (of course it will!)?

I was surprisingly not that irritated by Pasarin's art. I could definitely tell it was him, but it didn't grate as much as I'd feared - I think likely because of the lettering and coloring and possibly inking that carried over from the previous art teams. Hopefully it stays at this level.

Astonishing Member

I think Pasarin's art only actually ever annoys me when he draws Batman. Ugh dude can't pull off the cowl.

I liked this.

I truly have no idea if Slade is insane or dealing with some Grade-A super-villain shenanigans. Good place for your Secret Society types to put him on trial, so to speak. Or if it's concurrent with JLA and all that, for Luthor to exert some influence now that we're in Legion of Doom mode.

This series has made me into a Priest true-believer, at any rate.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I think Pasarin's art only actually ever annoys me when he draws Batman. Ugh dude can't pull off the cowl.

I liked this.

I truly have no idea if Slade is insane or dealing with some Grade-A super-villain shenanigans. Good place for your Secret Society types to put him on trial, so to speak. Or if it's concurrent with JLA and all that, for Luthor to exert some influence now that we're in Legion of Doom mode.

This series has made me into a Priest true-believer, at any rate.
    I was surprised how little I was bothered by Pasarin's really ughly wide faces this issue. Hopefully that continues!

I think the fact that we're dealing not only with Slade's own potential psychosis (Billy), but with a mind controller like Dr. Destiny, a psychologist manipulator like Hugo Strange, and Arkham itself, means we really don't know what's up - which is awesome!

This series has also made me a hardcore Priest fan!

Astonishing Member

Here we go, fellow Deathstroke fans! Descending into madness...and some very interesting things are raised with issue #36!

Do you think that Slade really DOES have some kind of device projecting Billy into his head, or is he truly insane?

How will Rose get free from Willow (and I was very sad that Claire evidently was really dead in #29 )? Will she and Hosun stay together? I'm really happy that we got a good chunk of Rose and Joey right away, since we had no clue how everything would go. Will Joey put on his dad's costume to trick Rose into getting away from Willow? Will that cause problems for Joey (of course it will!)?

I was surprisingly not that irritated by Pasarin's art. I could definitely tell it was him, but it didn't grate as much as I'd feared - I think likely because of the lettering and coloring and possibly inking that carried over from the previous art teams. Hopefully it stays at this level.
    Slade was insane his whole life,staying in Arkham will make him even more unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Slade was insane his whole life,staying in Arkham will make him even more unhinged.
    How do you see Slade being insane - what part of reality is he detached from? I've always thought Slade was evil, not insane - he made conscious choices (incrementally) that moved him further and further along the path to selfishness and apathy, which combined with his killer instinct and talents, made him a monster. But not a crazy one.

“Wakanda Forever”
    Lmfao only Priest could make that joke. Can’t believe DC let him do that. That cliffhanger though... The heck is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Wakanda Forever”
    Lmfao only Priest could make that joke. Can’t believe DC let him do that. That cliffhanger though... The heck is going on?
    I couldn't believe it either - but it was HILARIOUS! There was so much humor in this issue, as much as there's also so much sadness with Joey and Rose.

According to solicits, next issue Slade's going to wake up and everyone's going to act like nothing happened - which is why I'm curious to know if Dr. Destiny is using mind control.

Astonishing Member

How do you see Slade being insane - what part of reality is he detached from? I've always thought Slade was evil, not insane - he made conscious choices (incrementally) that moved him further and further along the path to selfishness and apathy, which combined with his killer instinct and talents, made him a monster. But not a crazy one.
    Crazy is the wrong word,its more like extreme selfishness. He knows that he hurt everyone unfortunate enough to encounter him and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Crazy is the wrong word,its more like extreme selfishness. He knows that he hurt everyone unfortunate enough to encounter him and will continue to do so.
    I completely agree that he's almost narcissistically or solipsistically selfish, but I don't think that's quite the same as madness. Just evil. (Even though he resents the word, it fits too well.)

Enjoyed it. And yeah, art was better than expected.

Is that black guy a new character or existing one? Feels like he is going to do some meta commentary on Slade and probably Arkham.

Also, side question. Have people here read Priest's short Justice League run? I remember seeing that general opinion was more negative than positive, but I wonder how did it look from the side of people who like Priest's work. If I'm not mistaken it got Deathstroke and Red Lion so I'm somewhat interested in seeing what Priest does with them in Justice League context.