Page 61 of 85 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Enjoyed it. And yeah, art was better than expected.

Is that black guy a new character or existing one? Feels like he is going to do some meta commentary on Slade and probably Arkham.

Also, side question. Have people here read Priest's short Justice League run? I remember seeing that general opinion was more negative than positive, but I wonder how did it look from the side of people who like Priest's work. If I'm not mistaken it got Deathstroke and Red Lion so I'm somewhat interested in seeing what Priest does with them in Justice League context.
    Yup, Devon is almost certainly a new character...unless he's a delusion, or someone else in disguise. It'd be really weird if he was just a random person with psychosis who was stuck with the worst mass murderers alive. We've already gotten some awesome metacommentary with "Wakanda forever" and "That's why you'll never get a movie". Looking forward to more - plus the exploration of The Republic's central question - what is justice?

I collected every issue of Priest's Justice League - I believe I got all of them with JG Jones covers, too! I thought it was really fun, though sometimes a bit flawed. Deathstroke and Red Lion were pretty great, and despite him still using Diana's gross "daughter of Zeus" origin, I really loved some of the stuff he did with her.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I collected every issue of Priest's Justice League - I believe I got all of them with JG Jones covers, too! I thought it was really fun, though sometimes a bit flawed. Deathstroke and Red Lion were pretty great, and despite him still using Diana's gross "daughter of Zeus" origin, I really loved some of the stuff he did with her.
    Not going to be an issue for me. I'm a fan of Azz's WW run and have zero problems with her being daughter of Zeus.

Solicitation for January's Deathstroke #39! Also, wow, I've been collecting this series for nearly 20 issues at that point! (Not as cool as you smart people who jumped on board immediately, but it's very exciting!)

DEATHSTROKE #39
    written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
    art by CARLO PAGULAYAN, FERNANDO PASARIN and JASON PAZ
    cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
    variant cover by DAVE JOHNSON
    Slade is back in Arkham after his Zeta Beam jaunt to the planet Pulor…but did he ever actually leave? Is the alien invasion just a delusion? And who is this faux Deathstroke running around? A deep dive into Slade’s psyche, just in time to watch him lose his mind!
    ON SALE 01.09.19

Couple things to note - art by Pagulayan! Even if just part! (though I'm betting it's the "crazy" part, similar to how Benes did the opening dream sequence to #36).

Sounds like Hosun is able to persuade Joey to become Deathstroke to help Rose...but that doesn't bode well for Joey's mind...

I love this cover!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Not a fan of single issue having 3 artists listed :/

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Not a fan of single issue having 3 artists listed :/
    Yeah, that's frustrating. But I'd rather have art issues than a fill-in issue with another writer. Still bummed that we lost Neves. He was pretty solid, though for some reason they were constantly switching inkers on him.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I'm still really puzzled by this choice of mashup. I wish they'd given Priest the book, since we've seen some of these mashups (Elmer Fudd/Batman, of course, but I also loved Catwoman/Tweety) really standout as enjoyable extended one-shots.

PREVIEW!

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...eathstroke-37/

Love the reference to Deathstroke #3 with "Slade" appearing over Rose and her current love interest sleeping. Interestingly for a Priest comic, he's not going for the "trace over" or "redo previous scene" approach, which he's done a lot, so I think the difference is significant, emotionally, for Rose and Hosun.

Also looks like the main psychiatrist is going to become a bigger character for this arc, which is intriguing...

Man, I'm so sad I only jumped onto this book after it went once a month. It's the comics highlight of the month, and I like that it's a first week book, but it feels like it fades from my mind a bit. That could also be because discussion tends to be fairly light on it. But ah, well, I'll keep shilling for it! It's an amazing series.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Well, there's definitely a lot to unload in this issue.

spoilers:

What exactly is going on with Slade? Devon and the aliens from last issue make no physical appearance, but the mystery thickens.

Rose delightfully doesn't fall for Joey's gambit of impersonating Slade to get her out of her funk, but unfortunately that isn't the only part of Joey's play to go south...

Interesting that in the VR segment here, Two-Face appears with a non-scarred face. Given the time between issues, I can't remember if he appeared like this last issue as well.

Two-Face busting out of Arkham and impersonating Slade while taking an interest in Rose's alternate persona/possession definitely complicates things.

end of spoilers

Definitely miss when this book was bi-weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Well, there's definitely a lot to unload in this issue.

spoilers:

What exactly is going on with Slade? Devon and the aliens from last issue make no physical appearance, but the mystery thickens.

Rose delightfully doesn't fall for Joey's gambit of impersonating Slade to get her out of her funk, but unfortunately that isn't the only part of Joey's play to go south...

Interesting that in the VR segment here, Two-Face appears with a non-scarred face. Given the time between issues, I can't remember if he appeared like this last issue as well.

Two-Face busting out of Arkham and impersonating Slade while taking an interest in Rose's alternate persona/possession definitely complicates things.

end of spoilers

Definitely miss when this book was bi-weekly.
    spoilers:

Sounds to me like the madness of Arkham goes much further than I suspected. I love how disorienting Slade having all of his delusions silent (or are they?) The doctor is really confrontational - the comment about Tanya cut to the heart.

I love how smart Rose is, and it took me a while, but I love that Two-Face is obsessed with someone else sharing a body with two personalities.

Can't wait till next month!
    end of spoilers

100% with you on the twice a month schedule.

Astonishing Member

Until the last page, I thought that Joey and Slade had switched bodies somehow.

I thought there was a chance he had really broken out. Priest just keeps you guessing!

spoilers:
    I can’t believe I didn’t guess it was Two-Face with the whole “9:22” factor. I’m intrigued to see where this is going, this plot is even more complex than usual for Priest. Still enjoying the book.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Poor Joey.

His role in this book seems to constantly be getting punched and bloody
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    spoilers:
    I can’t believe I didn’t guess it was Two-Face with the whole “9:22” factor. I’m intrigued to see where this is going, this plot is even more complex than usual for Priest. Still enjoying the book.
    end of spoilers
    It is very complex. And the reality/sanity questions make it even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Poor Joey.

His role in this book seems to constantly be getting punched and bloody
    To be fair, in an action superhero/villain book, that's what all the main characters do.