Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1265

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    An awesome interview - part one of three - where Priest looks back on Deathstroke! https://www.newsarama.com/48191-prie...worst-dad.html
    I still haven't read the last issue but I don't care about spoilers; in any case, this interview is so blunt, I love how Priest doesn't give a f***.

I expect some renewed hate from Damian fans learning that Priest was for (and was probably advocating for) Slade to be to be Damian's dad but you know what I don't care.

I've noticed that some fans of the bat family characters usually have all these negative thoughts and feelings in regards to Bruce/Batman but would combust on the spot if their fave's connection to the big dog was severed, so I'll just ignore the teeth gnashing ...unless they come in here that is.

There is such gems in the interview that I want to quote, but I have nothing to really add other than "I agree."

The Damien stuff was really dumb. The fact that Priest believes Damien should be Deathstroke's actual son kind of solidifies my thoughts on his whole take and use of the character. I wasn't really a fan overall. I did not enjoy that whole Batman vs Deathstroke arc and thought it was the weakest part in Priest's run, which is sad as it will be what people remember most from his run probably.

I think Priest is a talent writer, but I think the quality of his Deathstroke run took a significant dive when he kind of became obsessed with using Damian. He became so fixated on the character and wanting Deathstroke to be this father figure to him for some reason and I did not think it was very good. He even brought in an alt reality Damian that was Deathstroke's son to satisfy that weird fixation at the end. The early arcs were so much fun with the twists and not being sure what was coming with him introducing us to his take on Slade, and then changing it up with a completely new dynamic for the story with Deathstroke leading this team of young heroes. It was great with him using Rose more, bringing in Terra, and even Wallace West who I am not a fan of but actually like Priest's take on the character. Those were the strongest arcs for me in his run and will be what I remember most.

Astonishing Member

Damian is a jerk most of the time, but Priest's fixation on making him Slade's son is silly.

The Team Defiance arc should've lasted longer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Damian is a jerk most of the time, but Priest's fixation on making him Slade's son is silly.

He has three kids why give him another

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I still haven't read the last issue but I don't care about spoilers; in any case, this interview is so blunt, I love how Priest doesn't give a f***.

I expect some renewed hate from Damian fans learning that Priest was for (and was probably advocating for) Slade to be to be Damian's dad but you know what I don't care.

I've noticed that some fans of the bat family characters usually have all these negative thoughts and feelings in regards to Bruce/Batman but would combust on the spot if their fave's connection to the big dog was severed, so I'll just ignore the teeth gnashing ...unless they come in here that is.

There is such gems in the interview that I want to quote, but I have nothing to really add other than "I agree."
    I am not quite sure what I think about Slade being Damian's father. I love Damian, but I am frustrated by the idea that he HAS to be Bruce's son to be a hero. On the other hand, I think retconning it at this stage is more trouble than it's worth

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The Damien stuff was really dumb. The fact that Priest believes Damien should be Deathstroke's actual son kind of solidifies my thoughts on his whole take and use of the character. I wasn't really a fan overall. I did not enjoy that whole Batman vs Deathstroke arc and thought it was the weakest part in Priest's run, which is sad as it will be what people remember most from his run probably.

I think Priest is a talent writer, but I think the quality of his Deathstroke run took a significant dive when he kind of became obsessed with using Damian. He became so fixated on the character and wanting Deathstroke to be this father figure to him for some reason and I did not think it was very good. He even brought in an alt reality Damian that was Deathstroke's son to satisfy that weird fixation at the end. The early arcs were so much fun with the twists and not being sure what was coming with him introducing us to his take on Slade, and then changing it up with a completely new dynamic for the story with Deathstroke leading this team of young heroes. It was great with him using Rose more, bringing in Terra, and even Wallace West who I am not a fan of but actually like Priest's take on the character. Those were the strongest arcs for me in his run and will be what I remember most.
    I really loved Batman v Deathstroke because of the thematic contrasts it brought out between Batman and Deathstroke. But I liked Damian in all of the appearances Priest used him. I'm not convinced that Batman v Deathstroke will really be what most people remember, though. It's hard to say, since the sales did double, but I think the initial first three arcs, when it was still double shipping, are the thing most people remember - discovering Slade's love for his family, and just how screwed up that love is - the hit on Rose, sleeping with his son's fiance, etc.

Priest did make me a fan of Wallace and Tanya, characters who were so fixed in the n52 that I'd never really gotten into them (I dropped out of DC comics during the first three years of the n52, and while I've read some of the stuff I missed, most of it was Batman).

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post

I think the son thing was a fun concept, but I don't think it necessarily should have gone Priest's way. I appreciate that DC let him continue playing with Damian in Terminus Agenda. Defiance is where I started collecting the run in singles, so it has a special place in my heart - but it sadly didn't pick sales up as much as the Batman arc did. Ah, well. It was an amazing run the whole way through.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

His disdain for “sacred cows” in that interview just cement for me that he’d be perfect for Black Label, and DC should really give him a book in that Label. His takes on the characters would be perfect for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    His disdain for “sacred cows” in that interview just cement for me that he’d be perfect for Black Label, and DC should really give him a book in that Label. His takes on the characters would be perfect for that.
    I agree. And I'm also struck by the fact that he did all this work trying to make Deathstroke a character easy to use for TV, and then it was completely ignored in Titans.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I didn't read this at all but I'm grateful for Priest bringing back Nightshade and giving her a badass scene.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I didn't read this at all but I'm grateful for Priest bringing back Nightshade and giving her a badass scene.
    That was a pretty great scene! In one of the top issues of the run - Damian testing himself to see what it would be like to be Deathstroke's son.

Hopefully Priest can still come back for one-shot specials or short- minis involving Slade. Could be nice, anyway. Give him access to any guest character he wants.

Mighty Member

Loved Priest's Deathstroke run. But on the subject of Damian, I think editorial got that one right. Not just because being Batman's actual kid is the entire hook of Damian's character. But because there is something delightfully twisted and tragic about the fact that the child Slade is most able to connect to and truly express himself with isn't even his. I actually think the way things turned out is the strongest possible outcome for all three characters.

Don't get me wrong, I see what Priest was going for. But I just think the added dimension of Damian NOT being Slade's actual child makes the drama and the beats stronger overall. Maybe Priest would have done something different that would have sold me on his plan if he'd been given the green light, but as it stands I think the relationship as it was developed is one of the highlights of Priest's run and I wouldn't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Loved Priest's Deathstroke run. But on the subject of Damian, I think editorial got that one right. Not just because being Batman's actual kid is the entire hook of Damian's character. But because there is something delightfully twisted and tragic about the fact that the child Slade is most able to connect to and truly express himself with isn't even his. I actually think the way things turned out is the strongest possible outcome for all three characters.

Don't get me wrong, I see what Priest was going for. But I just think the added dimension of Damian NOT being Slade's actual child makes the drama and the beats stronger overall. Maybe Priest would have done something different that would have sold me on his plan if he'd been given the green light, but as it stands I think the relationship as it was developed is one of the highlights of Priest's run and I wouldn't change a thing.
    That is a really excellent point - that he's able to express himself better to almost any other kid - Tanya, Damian, Wallace, heck, even Terra - than his own children, who he loves the most. Absolutely agree that Slade and Damian's relationship is a big highlight, but I've loved ALL of the relationships Slade has and develops through the series. It's so very rich.

I have no feelings towards the character of Damian, although his fans are ...well I've stated how I feel about them but sometimes my feelings towards the character can veer negative as a result but I am up for anything in Priest's hands so I would be have been fine with Priest getting what he wanted.

Although the fallout of Priest getting what he wanted probably wouldn't have lasted long or be given the attention it needed considering this rumored 5G thing.

Speaking of 5G, I can kind of see why DC wouldn't have greenlit the Power Girl pitch, I don't see those characters being acknowledged or brought up any time soon, but I do think his Green Lantern pitch whatever it was should have been given the go ahead and put into black label or something.

I also still want DC comics to give Priest a Batman book, he has wanted to write for the character in the past and I think he still does but as we can see he has all of these feelings in regards to the character and how he's written and portrayed nowadays, I would love to see Batman without all the bat paraphernalia like the batmobile. I feel like Priest's run on Batman would have been a better written Tom King run b/c I do feel like Priest would have done a villain coming out on top type of thing as well ...probably would have "killed" Batman too.

Unfortunately, I think it'll be a while before Priest pops up in DC again.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

I agree, narratively i think its more interesting that Damian is the son he wants rather than has. Damian is who he wants, Dick is who he thinks kids should be like, its all very interesting and makes for interesting dynamics between the characters.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-11-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    An awesome interview - part one of three - where Priest looks back on Deathstroke! https://www.newsarama.com/48191-prie...worst-dad.html
    I think Priest will be happy that the CWSeed cartoon seems to be drawing a lot from his run. If he even knows about it.

Count me in on the side glad he didn't retcon Damian into being Slade's son. The possibility of it is stronger then making it factual in my opinion, compared to him being Bruce's son. Plus, I really disliked how he wrote Damian in Lazarus Contract, so...