Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman 24 Spoilers

Still enjoying the ride on this arc, but I did have a couple of problems with this chapter though. I didn't think Cobb's betraying Manchester felt earned for example. Like why now? Wasn't he aware of Black's goals the whole time? Also Lois's leg seems to be gone for real, I think? Maybe it got reattached like Alfred? I'm still iffy on that development, I'm afraid it might have been shock value for the sake of it. I'm guessing that will get more spotlight in the vacation arc. Anyway still looking forward to how things wrap up next issue.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Any word on Jon's new power? A yes or no will do. I'm contemplating buying this online right now as opposed to getting a floppy in the morning.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Any word on Jon's new power? A yes or no will do. I'm contemplating buying this online right now as opposed to getting a floppy in the morning.
    Not yet, but Black briefly teased it while trying to get Jon to murder an alien criminal.
    "How about a new power for your first lesson Jon?"
    I'm guessing that'll be in the next issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Still enjoying the ride on this arc, but I did have a couple of problems with this chapter though. I didn't think Cobb's betraying Manchester felt earned for example. Like why now? Wasn't he aware of Black's goals the whole time? Also Lois's leg seems to be gone for real, I think? Maybe it got reattached like Alfred? I'm still iffy on that development, I'm afraid it might have been shock value for the sake of it. I'm guessing that will get more spotlight in the vacation arc. Anyway still looking forward to how things wrap up next issue.
    Yeah, from the early sketches I've seen of the vacation story on artist's twitters, it indicates the reason for the trip may be to attend something for people with disabilities, Clark is seen introducing a man on crutches.

And I agree about the Cobb face turn...it was completely random and abrupt.

Still, you've got to love how Lois keeps it together in her short appearance here...she wanted to get a signal out to the Justice League, and she manages to give Clark the inspiring pep talk he needed to soldier on. This woman truly is remarkable.

I'm also kind of glad that Jon hasn't really turned against his dad and has to be forced to turn on him due to Black's powers...throughout the issue the kid really does his best to hold on to his faith in his dad.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-07-2017 at 01:16 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Another great issue!

Chester mentions seeing the future in no uncertain terms, so I think my theory about him going to/accessing/seeing the future holds water. That mean--say it with me now--FUTURE JON AKA SUPERMAN SECONDUS!!!! Come on Tomasi and Gleason, you know that's what you want to call him! You also know that you wanna tie this into DC One Million by using Solaris as the threat Chester is talking about.

Anyways, that Krypto moment made me cheer. Slightly reminiscent of young Superman vs Kal Kent in All Star. Kal even flexes his telepathic might over a downed Clark similar to how Chester flexes his telekinetic equivalent, and both are downed by Clark's ace in the hole, Krypto. More credit to my DC One Million tie in?? Hmmm lol

-So Chester totally facilitating the Goldie incident is basically confirmed.

-I wonder what's left for Kathy after this. She's possibly orphaned. I hope the Kents go into space to help them retake their home.

-Damn, man, Clark's family has really been brutalized these last two issues. Lois physically maimed, and Jon essentially psychologically tortured. That vacation arc will likely be very introspective for everyone.

-Looks like Jon's getting Black's psychic powers after all. Obviously he's under Black's influence (essentially being used by him) so it's safe to assume the power isn't totally natural. However, Black words it as if it's Jon's power that he's betting on. Given that Black has the power to shut off, turn on, or (as he hints at) add onto Jon's powers, it could be that it is in part Jon's innate potential being manipulated. Wonder where he'll be at once Chester leaves his mind all together?

-Kinda cool that Clark is fighting Chester with a team of families.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah, from the early sketches I've seen of the vacation story on artist's twitters, it indicates the reason for the trip may be to attend something for people with disabilities, Clark is seen introducing a man on crutches.
    I'm gonna really applaud the Superman team if that's the direction they're going in. Bold. I wonder if it's a really, really good prosthesis that Lois is using. I wouldn't know how to feel if they gave her back her leg right after Clark takes her to a place to help her come to terms with her disability.

But I have faith that they'll make a good call. Lois has been building up a character arc underneath all of the bang and pow of her boys. I was just thinking about how she might've always felt a level of "disability" around the time Jon started getting his powers. That idea is nothing to scoff at or hand wave off by saying "she's Lois Lane, she doesn't need power to feel super." I mean, she is, and she doesn't, but part of what makes her Lois Lane is that she's so very human in all its flawed glory. I can buy her feeling left out. I still remember that moment during the Eradicator arc where she was sobbing and frantically looking for a way to do something as innate as protecting her kid from danger. She clutched it out like a champ in the end, but this arc seemed to deliberately take that bit of agency away when Cobb dissembled her Bat tools. Then we have that totally dejected look in her eye righter after she gave Clark a pep talk. It's like she her words are powerful enough to rouse a Superman, but they ultimately can't help her in this situation where physical action is needed.

It's a fascinating subplot that I'm very much invested in.

I'm also kind of glad that Jon hasn't really turned against his dad and has to be forced to turn on him due to Black's powers...throughout the issue the kid really does his best to hold on to his faith in his dad.
    But you know Chester's sown his seeds deep in the mind of Jon. Even though when push comes to shove, our boy's A1, he still recoils from his dad's touch at first. He still seemed pretty out of it while his dad was fighting. This vacation might be an outlet to air out some nagging thoughts, and reaffirm familial bonds all around. I mean, we know Jon will ultimately go back to being his dad's biggest fan, but I'm cool if this is a slight bump in the road for a little bit. It's a situation where I can't really blame anyone. Superman was practicing what he preaches. Lois was doing her best. Jon loves his ma and doesn't want to see anything bad happen to good people. It's all pretty interesting.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Lois? Leg? Man I gotta catch up on this.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

It felt rushed a bit but still I enjoyed the issue. I am still clinging to the theory of Lois losing her leg being an illusion. She said to Clark that everyone including them are seeing things what someone else, who we all know is Manchester Black wanted them to. Today's Justice League story ostensibly happens after the events of Black Dawn and Lois has her legs just fine in it. Lois' trust in her husband hasn't dwindled a bit despite apparently losing her leg. Clark really is lucky to have her. The scene where MB used heat vision to lit his cigarette, it was hilarious. Whatever future MB said he has seen doesn't seem good to me. I remember Emerald Empress saying something about Superman's future. She said it is better for Superman to die than to know the future. Something tragic is out there for the Man of Steel. Let's wait and see. I was too eager to find out Jon's new power, sadly I have to wait two more weeks.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    -So Chester totally facilitating the Goldie incident is basically confirmed.
    Facilitating? Well, he's been screwing with Jon's power levels, if that's what you mean. But the accident was all Jon.

Man I'm so glad that we're not actually getting a story where a confused Jon actually goes against his father.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Good issue, but it was mostly set up for the big finale next issue.

Always Rakzo

Wonderful issue. Love the classic take of Manchester Black that Tomasi and Gleason are creating, very reminiscent of Joe Kelly's original vision. One has to appreciate the plannification of the title as well, everything has been building up to this.

Stunning artwork as well.

Amazing issue!

So many callbacks and parallels - anybody else notice that Jon's skin/outfit colors looked a bit like Matrix's when she was confused and fought Superman on his return from space?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I was a little bored, to be honest. Not much Lois, whose leg storyline I think is going to be pretty fascinating, and the plot beats seemed really rushed. As has already been pointed out, Cobb turning on Black so quickly, for instance. I also found it odd how Superman broke Batman and the others out with ease with his heat vision yet he didn't do that as soon as he found the pods. He says he's doing what he should have done in the first place or some such, but it begs the question why didn't he just do it in the first place? And I know they're saving Jon/Clark for the finale, but it would have been nice to get into Jon's head a bit in this issue here, so his presence didn't feel so much like filler. So yeah, a couple things here and there that stuck out and hurt the experience. Oddities in the plot and a spinning of the wheels feel. I expect the finale to be great, though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was a little bored, to be honest. Not much Lois, whose leg storyline I think is going to be pretty fascinating, and the plot beats seemed really rushed. As has already been pointed out, Cobb turning on Black so quickly, for instance. I also found it odd how Superman broke Batman and the others out with ease with his heat vision yet he didn't do that as soon as he found the pods. He says he's doing what he should have done in the first place or some such, but it begs the question why didn't he just do it in the first place? And I know they're saving Jon/Clark for the finale, but it would have been nice to get into Jon's head a bit in this issue here, so his presence didn't feel so much like filler. So yeah, a couple things here and there that stuck out and hurt the experience. Oddities in the plot and a spinning of the wheels feel. I expect the finale to be great, though.
    Cobb's turn does seem quick, and I think that's because we're shown their backstory in just this issue. if it was another issue between the backstory and the reveal, it would have been different. It's also resolved a bit quick, too, with Cobb seemingly dying.

Superman not breaking them out in the first place may have been due to him a: being more concerned with finding Jon at the moment but also b: not knowing the nature of them being kept in the pods - and what would happen if he breaks them out. By the time he does, he has a better sense of what's going on, and figures that they're just being kept to be out of the way and the pods aren't attached to them somehow.

That's my take, anyway.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Superman didn't free them as a precaution, he didn't know what they were trapped in. I think that was mentioned by Superman last issue (Tomasi's Cark talks to himself a lot, it's funny because I thought he almost seemed kinda embarrassed when he found out Jon was behind him while he was talking to himself). Maybe if he broke them out it would kill them for some reason. But when Manchester killed Cobb, I guess Supes made the judgement call that since Manchester was clearly an immediate threat to everyone in the room, it was worth the risk to free the hostages.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 06-07-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Ah, in that case the fault is on me if it was mentioned and I had just forgotten.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El