Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NotABadger View Post
    X-Men Gold hasn't been as good as I'd hoped it would be. I'm mostly here for Rachel, and I was very happy with how Rachel was last written by this writer, so I could have done without her passing out. As others have said, very Jean Grey from the old cartoon. Still, at least her costume looked slightly better this issue.

All that being said I'm having trouble understanding why people are having trouble with the acknowledged leader giving orders, and the team doing what they're asked to do. Surely that's how it's supposed to work? Particularly a team made up of veteran X-Men, that's even more reason for them not to go haring off on their own initiative before the leader calls the play. Plus the team are all Kitty's friends, they clearly want her to succeed.

Would the book be better if they put someone on the team who didn't like, or at least didn't know Kitty, and challenged her commands mid battle? Maybe, but that's not the team we have.
    There is more than one style of leadership right? Kitty right now acts like sergeant who leads group of unexperienced soldiers. I also know something about strenghts and weaknesses of different leadership styles. I prefer other styles(but i also know that sometimes her style is the best). That's why i like when Rogue leads teams.

I don't think that this is main problem. but i see why people will complain about this.

right now... Gold can be desribed as Kitty + rest. That's the reason why some people compain about Kitty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I haven't had an issue with Kitty in this whole run so far but when she understood and translated binary she jumped the Marry Sue shark for me. And as if Gambit would care what the sentinel was saying let alone memorize the binary code to figure it out was hilarious.
    The whole binary code thing seems to be more of a Sage/Tessa feat than a Kitty one, IMHO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    The "Emma Frost" show? Sorry bud, but this past decade was allllll about Scott and Logan.

It's like the New X-Men just gave up. They used to all over stuff like this, being proactive and attacking head-on instead of waiting to be attacked. TBF they did want to help in #3 but they definitely wouldn't have just waited for Kitty and give up when she says "nah". Now they're being reduced to....watching the news? Why aren't Santo, Vic, and Hisako hanging out with their friends?

Well the team sucks anyway. Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Logan. It's soooo boring and overdone and safe. Plus it looks like Guggenheim is trying to do something with Magma but the pace gets slowed to like one panel an issue. Wish CBR did X-Positions so we'd get to voice our concerns with him.
    Ororo, Peter, Kurt, and Logan is NOT boring. That's the best lineup possible if you add Sage and Gambit into the mix and dump Kitty and Rachel. Guggenheim is right to go for a nostalgic feel to the X-Men. I feel the X-books need that especially right now, however, he seems to be having quite a bit of difficulty pulling it off with his writing and story ideas. If the X-editors wanted to go nostalgic with a lineup of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and OML while adding 2 other members to the team (say Kitty (or Sage) and Remy), whynot book Claremont to write the title and give him near free reign to write the stories he wants to tell?

Mighty Member

Adding Illyana to the team could help reign Kitty in, considering Illyana's inclination to question decisions as well as the relationship between the two of them.

Sentinels attacking a bald dude and a cancer patient. Jesus my sides hurt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I understand your point of view. But after a decade of the X-Books being the Emma Frost show (which I didn't mind, not complaining), I'm thrilled to see Kitty Pryde take the lead. Ms. Pryde is a nerdy, bossy, totally brilliant (and she knows it) awesome leader. It'll be boring after a few years, but right now I'm so happy with GOLD's cast and their roles.
    Also, I'm sure in the future there'll be subplots and issues that focus on Storm and other characters. The book has to establish the parameters of its mission and fictional environment.
    Sorry but you're wrong. Emma was NEVER at the level of "Emma Frost & the Xmen" it was truly an era of a TEAM book in the past decade. She wasn't the Deux es Machina, leading, and making all the decisions, and saving the day. If Guggenheim can only provide characterization for one character at a time he shouldn't be writing comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    The "Emma Frost" show? Sorry bud, but this past decade was allllll about Scott and Logan.

It's like the New X-Men just gave up. They used to all over stuff like this, being proactive and attacking head-on instead of waiting to be attacked. TBF they did want to help in #3 but they definitely wouldn't have just waited for Kitty and give up when she says "nah". Now they're being reduced to....watching the news? Why aren't Santo, Vic, and Hisako hanging out with their friends?

Well the team sucks anyway. Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Logan. It's soooo boring and overdone and safe. Plus it looks like Guggenheim is trying to do something with Magma but the pace gets slowed to like one panel an issue. Wish CBR did X-Positions so we'd get to voice our concerns with him.
    Having a character appear for a few panels isn't really doing anything with them. The younger Xmen volunteered to go and they could've easily been shown to go and help. It would've made it better than Kitty simply saying "no" only some of you can come because I dont really know what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    You hit the nail on the head for me. It's like Nightcrawler and Storm aren't intelligent seasoned X-Men that can think for themselves. Literally, Kurt couldn't think to port a woman to safety? And that's mostly all he does. Yes ma'am, no ma'am mutant taxi. I can't get into this book much because Kitty makes ALL the decisions and the rest jump to it like privates at boot camp. I am still a Kitty fan, but she isn't being written very well.

Best thing was having Gambit back.
    I'm glad that Gambit is at least slated to be in another book soon after this. As much as I enjoy seeing him I don't enjoy seeing this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    I have read the issue.. it will be my last Gold issue.. I am fed up with it. Soooo incredibly mediocre. It is going nowhere, there is no story, no message, the plot is repetiive (nanosentinels threat? again!? ohhhhhh) the characters are flat,the art is mediocre too... The quality of X Men comics have been decreasing to the point of being simply badly done and the current editiorial team has made them as interesting and sophisticated as a Micky Mouse comic book. This is back to its lowest 90´s times before Morrison/Grant revamped the whole thing and saved it from utter disaster. I will not waste more time on them. I recommend you don´t either. Booooooring!!!
    I'm with you all the way. There are too many things that are over explained and then others that aren't explained at all. It's oddly unbalanced, badly paced, and badly written.

Mighty Member

This issue was ok, not as bad as some are making it out to be. With regards to Kitty's leadership, Cyclops was exactly the same. Especially after decimation he was barking orders and everyone followed. Also I wonder if Kitty was replaced by Emma and it was Emma who was giving orders and being in the spotlight, would some people change their opinion of the book? I know a lot of people call for a Emma lead book and would have no problem with her dominating at the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    This issue was ok, not as bad as some are making it out to be. With regards to Kitty's leadership, Cyclops was exactly the same. Especially after decimation he was barking orders and everyone followed. Also I wonder if Kitty was replaced by Emma and it was Emma who was giving orders and being in the spotlight, would some people change their opinion of the book? I know a lot of people call for a Emma lead book and would have no problem with her dominating at the expense of others.
    there is a lot of double standarts running around. We already know the answers

Yeah, I think if you replaced Emma with Kitty there would still be the same complaints. It maybe had a little to do with the character, but a lot with the writing.

Amazing Member

Guggenheim said early on that perhaps his favorite moments to write in this book were all dialogue. Quiet moments where you learn things about the characters & they are developed. That is why I chose to read Gold.

Unfortunately, I don't remember such a moment since the first issue when Logan & Kitty were talking in the stands watching the softball game. The moment with Nance is the closest thing, which I loved. Everything is all action & orders from Kitty. I want X-Men Gold to do well, but I feel like Guggenheim was disingenuous with what he said the book was supposed to be. If he can't do what he said he was going to do I will be dropping this book after this arc. Everyone other than Kitty & Logan are B-listers on this team so far. That's just ridiculous.
    MARVEL - All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men Gold, Thanos, Hawkeye (trade)
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

BANNED

Everyone other than Kitty & Logan are B-listers on this team so far. That's just ridiculous.
    You're being quite generous.

BANNED

Kitty and Cyclops are like complete opposites in terms of character though.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Guggenheim said early on that perhaps his favorite moments to write in this book were all dialogue. Quiet moments where you learn things about the characters & they are developed. That is why I chose to read Gold.

Unfortunately, I don't remember such a moment since the first issue when Logan & Kitty were talking in the stands watching the softball game. The moment with Nance is the closest thing, which I loved. Everything is all action & orders from Kitty. I want X-Men Gold to do well, but I feel like Guggenheim was disingenuous with what he said the book was supposed to be. If he can't do what he said he was going to do I will be dropping this book after this arc. Everyone other than Kitty & Logan are B-listers on this team so far. That's just ridiculous.
    when did kitty go above a c-lister??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    when did kitty go above a c-lister??
    Around the time TV superstar Joss Whedon made her a central character in his X-Men run.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Are X-Positions really done with?
    Probably. It seemed like Brett White and Dan Ketchum were the cheerleaders behind that column. Brett's left CBR and Ketchum's no longer with Marvel.