World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default Spider-Man/Deadpool #18 Discussion [SPOILER WARNING]

I really enjoyed this issue - it was a bombastic conclusion to consistently great run by Kelly and McGuiness on this book. I enjoyed the characterization of both Spidey and Deadpool in this issue (especially Deadpool) and I really liked the reflective tone this issue took. I do wonder, though, how and why Deadpool temporarily appeared like he was wearing Spider-Man's suit when he dropped Itsy Bitsy into Peter's Plasma Breeder Reactor. Seems like a plot hole there.

Overall though, I think it is evident I enjoyed this whole run, especially the conclusion. I look forward to what comes next (after the coming guest story) and who the new main writers will be. It will be hard to live up to Kelly and McGuiness, but I'd love to see them try!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Didn't he say he used the Image Inducer, which got destroyed and Peter owed him a new one?

But yes. It was a good issue. Naturally my favorite was the conclusion. I always love when Peter & Wade can have those touching Bromance moments. And of course Wade had to ruin the moment with his comment lol And things are gonna be interesting given what we saw from Mephisto and Weasel, who now BOTH have their eyes set on Deadpool.

And the series for Spider-Man/Deadpool has been good overall. My only complaint was the design they used for Wade's healed-face, where he looks like a college jock. It was hard to take that seriously. One of the worst Wade faces, imo. Next to the one he had in Secret Wars and Uncanny X-Force.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Didn't he say he used the Image Inducer, which got destroyed and Peter owed him a new one?

But yes. It was a good issue. Naturally my favorite was the conclusion. I always love when Peter & Wade can have those touching Bromance moments. And of course Wade had to ruin the moment with his comment lol And things are gonna be interesting given what we saw from Mephisto and Weasel, who now BOTH have their eyes set on Deadpool.

And the series for Spider-Man/Deadpool has been good overall. My only complaint was the design they used for Wade's healed-face, where he looks like a college jock. It was hard to take that seriously. One of the worst Wade faces, imo. Next to the one he had in Secret Wars and Uncanny X-Force.
    Ahh, I missed that. That makes more sense, LOL.

Did they ever explain how and why Deadpool's face was healed up in previous issues? I feel like I missed something.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

A good conclusion to a fun run. I hope Kelly and McGuinness will come back for another round at some point. In the meantime, I'm definitely intrigued by who the next big creative team will be.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Did they ever explain how and why Deadpool's face was healed up in previous issues? I feel like I missed something.
    It's never outright stated. Spider-Man thinks Wade looks normal because he's more good, and feels better about himself as a result, thus the change was Psychological. I don't think that's it.

I am thinking Death gave him his normal face. When Wade wanted to save Peter, Death told him there'd be a price to pay. Deadpool agrees to pay it, and kisses Death. Near that same chapter's end, we see Deadpool's face and it's starting to become normal -his scars seem to be going away, and he's got hair coming in.

His normal healed face was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, he looks normal. It'd definitely be easier to fit in with people, and he wouldn't need to be insecure about that part of himself. BUT Shiklah stated in chapter 9 that she hated his heal-face. calling it hideous. Remember, she thought his scarred face was handsome -look at the monsters she sleeps with. When Deadpool wants to try and talk to her, he dips his head in fire, burning his face off to please Shiklah, who then said he looked a little better.

Shiklah was already pissed that Wade's not around enough, and becoming a goody-goody who's not the killer she met. So now his pretty-boy face is another thing for her to be pissed about. And Deadpool told Spider-Man that Shiklah wouldn't touch him. So his healed face was another prick in that marriage. And THAT was probably the price. When Deadpool left Peter the note confessing to what he did, he says he saved him at the expense of himself and his marriage.

And since Death loves Wade, she probably has no qualms with Shiklah being pissed and pushing away from him.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 06-08-2017 at 01:45 PM.

I am thinking Death gave him his normal face. When Wade wanted to save Peter, Death told him there'd be a price to pay. Deadpool agrees to pay it, and kisses Death. Near that same chapter's end, we see Deadpool's face and it's starting to become normal -his scars seem to be going away, and he's got hair coming in.
    Interesting, I guess I didn't notice that when I originally read it. Seems like a sound theory.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Well, as send off for Kelly and McGuinness, I think could've been a little bit better, and I question the overall message at the end. But otherwise it's still a good comic. And I really liked the dialogue and artwork especially.

Stillanerd Reviews: Spider-Man/Deadpool #18 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton