Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Darth Vader #1 *Spoilers*

Wow. Really good issue. I liked the interaction between Vader and Sidious. And them showing all the lightsabers being destroyed. Then Vader making short work of those guys with the ship. The art was good too.

Great first issue!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Well, that was so much worse than the first series. But what can you do, anybody after Gillen will be noticeably worse.

It's still the first issue, so we'll see where things go from here. So far though, dialogue between Vader and Palpatine is a bit clunky and not quite naturally flowing. Story premise has some potential at least, so we'll see where things go. Otherwise, issue 1 is serviceable with some good artwork and a few good moments here or there. The backup story with the mouse droid was pretty funny.

The backup was awesome!

Wasn't the main a huge retcon to Episode III?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The backup was awesome!

Wasn't the main a huge retcon to Episode III?
    Hmm, in what way exactly? Can't see anything that fully retcons ROTS. If anything, this retcons one of my favorite Legends EU novels, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Hmm, in what way exactly? Can't see anything that fully retcons ROTS. If anything, this retcons one of my favorite Legends EU novels, Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader.
    The Force push of the Emperor, the whole dialog after that ... was not in the movie.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The Force push of the Emperor, the whole dialog after that ... was not in the movie.
    That's because this takes place after the end of the movie
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

For all we know, everything we see here could take place in the in-between of Vader's hamtastic outburst, and Palpatine and Vader looking on as the Death Star's being built.

So is this a new Darth Vader series?
    Has the other one ended? If so, how many issues did it run?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    That's because this takes place after the end of the movie
    The movie ended with him on the bridge of a SD ... the comic puts Vader back on the medical table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    For all we know, everything we see here could take place in the in-between of Vader's hamtastic outburst, and Palpatine and Vader looking on as the Death Star's being built.
    I can see that.

I think having this start in a weird place hurt the intro.

Just have this set on the ship or something ... not in the room he was "born."

I liked the the "soft retcon" of the end of Ep III. By that I mean they changed his reaction to hearing of Padme's death a bit. Liked that the "Nooooooooo!" was changed, and that his force freak out also pushed Sidious as well. LOVED the threat from Sidious warning him never to "touch him with the force again".

I'm looking forward to seeing him build his lightsaber, but I'm not sure how I feel about the revelation that Sith lightsabers come from Jedi lightsabers and that their rage changes the color. I'm pretty sure there was a planet that was home to red Kyber crystals, and that's where the Sith went for them as part of their pilgrimage to Dark Side.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing him build his lightsaber, but I'm not sure how I feel about the revelation that Sith lightsabers come from Jedi lightsabers and that their rage changes the color. I'm pretty sure there was a planet that was home to red Kyber crystals, and that's where the Sith went for them as part of their pilgrimage to Dark Side.
    This isn't even the first place to establish this new origin for red crystals. I can't recall where specifically they first brought it up, but I know I've heard it somewhere previously. Honestly, the tainted crystal idea, or the idea that a Sith has to "break" the crystal to the dark side, is actually kind of entertaining. Better than just "Hey, Sith use red. So here's a red one!" This is much more in keeping with the notion of the Sith as aberration. As a cancer on the Force itself. Which is apparently what Lucas was going for, and is now the new canon moving forward.

I like where it started. It added some pretty cool stuff to an otherwise horrid scene in the movie.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    And in an era where the Sith outnumber the Jedi, they'd be forced to do that or go without a Lighsaber. I love that Sith Lighsabers are preferably conquered and Forcefully converted to the Dark Side. They're Sith. They're not going to create what they can take.

In a canon far away, a long time ago Sith simply used artificial crystals, but that was when Jedi had lighsabers made from dozens of kinds of crystals, none of them Kyber.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The movie ended with him on the bridge of a SD ... the comic puts Vader back on the medical table.

I can see that.

I think having this start in a weird place hurt the intro.

Just have this set on the ship or something ... not in the room he was "born."
    It always seemed to me that there was some significant between the scene where we see him awaken and then on the bridge, what with seeing Yoda and Bail meet and Obi-Wan deliver Luke to his aunt and Uncle so this comic needn't contradict anything.