Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default The Flintstones was really something wasn't it?

DC's Hanna Barbera relaunch had its hits and misses. Some were flawed since the beginning (Wacky Raceland), others became tedious halfway (Scooby Apocalypse, Future Quest) but if there's one of those titles that maintained its quality during its whole run was without a doubt The Flintstones.

Since the beginning, Mark Russell created a strong premise that was pretty faithful to the social commentary that the original cartoon offered but also improved and expanded its concept to make it much more relevant than ever. The execution of themes like family, consumerism, religion, race and sexuality among other things was always something compelling to see, particularly in the way how it was told since the book was full of satire but also never lost the heart of the story. Again, in many instances I consider it much better than Russell's own Prez since unlike that book, The Flintstones always focused on its plot and characters without feeling like just a bunch of ideas packed together.

The final issue is no different since Russell presents a quite heartwarming conclusion where he continues to ridicule humanity as a whole in their different aspects while also showing that there exists hope in each one of them no matter how much they might go against his own beliefs which perfectly summarizes how sometimes I felt about some of the ideas I was personally against.

Steve Pugh also deserves a lot of credit by creating a world full of life and detail that elevated the direction even more.

I don't know what to expect about Russell in the future, this might be one of the best books in recent years and it will be pretty hard to invent something near its quality but I'm hoping for the best.

It would be interesting to see Russell and Pugh move over to Young Animal and do something similar with an obscure DC property. Preferably a team of some sort.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Again, in many instances I consider it much better than Russell's own Prez since unlike that book, The Flintstones always focused on its plot and characters without feeling like just a bunch of ideas packed together.
    I struggle to come up with instance where Prez was better than this. At this point I honestly don't care if we ever get second volume of Prez or not since this was more consistent, had better structure (mostly single issue plots with some overreaching themes that built up towards the end) and Pugh is amazing.

The final issue is no different since Russell presents a quite heartwarming conclusion where he continues to ridicule humanity as a whole in their different aspects while also showing that there exists hope in each one of them no matter how much they might go against his own beliefs which perfectly summarizes how sometimes I felt about some of the ideas I was personally against.
    Many left leaning people should take a lesson from him on how to present your points without resorting to ridiculous strawmans and caricatures. I especially liked his point on religion in last issue, much more nuanced and realistic than what you usually hear these days.

My only complaint about the Flintstones was using Carl Sagan and Werner Herzog as characters. Kids reading this comic wouldn't know who these people are.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Incredible Member

DC's Hanna Barbera relaunch had its hits and misses. Some were flawed since the beginning (Wacky Raceland), others became tedious halfway (Scooby Apocalypse, Future Quest) but if there's one of those titles that maintained its quality during its whole run was without a doubt The Flintstones.

Since the beginning, Mark Russell created a strong premise that was pretty faithful to the social commentary that the original cartoon offered but also improved and expanded its concept to make it much more relevant than ever. The execution of themes like family, consumerism, religion, race and sexuality among other things was always something compelling to see, particularly in the way how it was told since the book was full of satire but also never lost the heart of the story. Again, in many instances I consider it much better than Russell's own Prez since unlike that book, The Flintstones always focused on its plot and characters without feeling like just a bunch of ideas packed together.

Steve Pugh also deserves a lot of credit by creating a world full of life and detail that elevated the direction even more.

I don't know what to expect about Russell in the future, this might be one of the best books in recent years and it will be pretty hard to invent something near its quality but I'm hoping for the best.
    While I think you're wrong about Future Quest (It was the most "Saturday Morning" of the adaptations), The Flintstones was the most modern and a good example of how to modernize without losing the basic good heart of the premise (Looking at you Wacky Racerland). Everybody and I mean everybody got a story arc, even the appliances. I'll miss these guys (Though I think a twelve issue run is the right length).

It was absolutely friggin amazing. Best DC book of the year, if you ask me. It was a total delight to read it and I can't wait for more work from Mark Russell.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It would be interesting to see Russell and Pugh move over to Young Animal and do something similar with an obscure DC property. Preferably a team of some sort.

Yes please. The way they're working right now is tailor made for Young Animal.
    MARVEL - All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men Gold, Thanos, Hawkeye (trade)
    DC - Doom Patrol, Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, Bug!: The Adventures of Forager, Mister Miracle
    Non-Big Two - Forever waiting on another arc of The Umbrella Academy, I Hate Fairyland (trade)

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Phenomenal book. I missed out on it at first, of course, because it's, well, the Flinstones but the first trade was genuinely exceptional. I've no doubt the second will be just as good.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I genuinely LOVE Mark Russell and Steve Pugh's vision of the Flintstones! The family is back in a way that is finally really suitable to its title "the modern Stone-Age family". And all of this in a comedy comic that is full of jokes and ha-has!

Attachment 50379

Simply the best comic book series of the last solar year and the one which managed to keep its quality constantly at very high levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    It would be interesting to see Russell and Pugh move over to Young Animal and do something similar with an obscure DC property.
    In a way, he already did. The back-up feature recently introduced in Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye, made up of excerpts of an old (in-universe) magazine for speleologists, is written by Russell himself. It may be only three pages long, but it's something!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    My only complaint about the Flintstones was using Carl Sagan and Werner Herzog as characters. Kids reading this comic wouldn't know who these people are.
    But do they absolutely need to? It's not like every single one of the situations involving them revolves around the fact that they're modelled after two real-life personalities. A reader of any age can appreciate the scene where Sargon explains to Pebbles's class that loneliness is the force keeping the universe together even without knowing Sagan, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Phenomenal book. I missed out on it at first, of course, because it's, well, the Flinstones but the first trade was genuinely exceptional. I've no doubt the second will be just as good.
    I've not read this series but want to. Does anyone think they'll release all 12 issues in 1 Deluxe HC format? Or will it only likely be in TPB format?
    How come the series ended?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Incredible Member

Maybe Russell and Pugh should tackle The Jetsons next?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Maybe Russell and Pugh should tackle The Jetsons next?
    The Jetsons is going to be written by Palmiotti and Conner. It has been announced already.

Incredible Member

The Jetsons is going to be written by Palmiotti and Conner. It has been announced already.
    That sounds great. I totally see Conner's style working on that.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Does that matter?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've loved this book, man. Really fun and strong reading.

I'd love to see Russell/Pugh tackle something else at Young Animal!