Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Well u don't want them to over saturate the Bat family now.

Next they got to do something with RHatO.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2014 at 02:40 PM.

BANNED

Nothing wrong with more Batbooks. Batman's DC's best character. He also has the best supporting cast and Rogues Gallery in comics. It's fun to explore new characters/settings against a Bat backdrop, which is why a book like Gotham Academy should be tons of fun.

Ehh, i don't know about that. Too many and the characters start to take away from each other. Look at what happen wth Nightwing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well u don't want them to over saturate the Bat family now.

Next they got to do something with RHatO.
    Say it with me now, "galactic bounty hunters."

Ehh, i don't know about that. Too many and the characters start to take away from each other. Look at what happen wth Nightwing.
    I think this was only because they failed to do anything unique across the board. Nightwing and Batgirl were both sub-batman street level vigilantes in Gotham. Jason and Tim were just given different part of Dick's old character. It wasn't number of characters, but lack of creativity that hurt Nightwing. It was fine when even more characters existed in the old universe.

It was the number of characters too. Nightwing never existed simultaneous with Red Robin, a good guy Red Hood, and the current Batwing in the old universe. Thats why right now it probably is in Dicks benefit to drop Nightwing for a bit, because the Bat family now has a bunch of Nightwings.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2014 at 04:45 PM.

It was the number of characters too. Nightwing never existed simultaneous with Red Robin, a good guy Red Hood, and the current Batwing in the old universe. Thats why right now it probably is in Dicks befit to drop Nightwing for a bit, because the Bat family now has a bunch of Nightwings.
    Sure, but just because it was executed poorly in the beginning of the n52 doesn't mean it can't be done well. If Red Hood, Red Robin, Batgirl, and batwing all had unique directions and character development (beyond "dresses up and fights crime"), Nightwing needn't have felt watered down. He doesnt need to be the only grown up robin to bee cool.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Sure, but just because it was executed poorly in the beginning of the n52 doesn't mean it can't be done well. If Red Hood, Red Robin, Batgirl, and batwing all had unique directions and character development (beyond "dresses up and fights crime"), Nightwing needn't have felt watered down. He doesnt need to be the only grown up robin to bee cool.
    True but he shouldn't have to be portrayed as less of a character in regards to fighting, detective skills, intelligence in order to make the other characters better either. That's why I feel this new direction for him is good. He doesn't have to be portrayed as less in order to make the other Bat family members seem like more. A perfect example of that in the last Nightwing run is when he was dogged by Shiva and then Tyrion turns around and has Jason beat her fairly easily in RHAO. In my opinion the characters all need their own direction. Dick has a cool direction now and Batgirl has a new interesting direction coming.
    Last edited by OWL45; 07-13-2014 at 05:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    True but he shouldn't have to be portrayed as less of a character in regards to fighting, detective skills, intelligence in order to make the other characters better either. That's why I feel this new direction for him is good. He doesn't have to be portrayed as less in order to make the other Bat family members seem like more. A perfect example of that in the last Nightwing run is when he was dogged by Shiva and then Tyrion turns around and has Jason beat her fairly easily in RHAO. In my opinion the characters all need their own direction. Dick has a cool direction now and Batgirl has a new interesting direction coming.
    It's been an annoyance of mine for several decades now that DC denigrates Dick in order to try to make more editorially-favored characters seem better in comparison to him. He was tough--but Jason has to be tougher. He was smart--but Tim has to be smarter. The list goes on. If DC Editorial (you KNOW who I mean) didn't hate Grayson, he'd be starring in his own Nightwing Family line of books by now.

Ultimate Member

EVERYONE has their own pet characters, and EVERYONE will complain about their favorite being "denigrated" at some point. For example, I'm a huge Stephanie Brown fan and I could go on and on about how crappy DC's treatment of her has been in the past. Tim fans will likely complain about his treatment in the New 52 pre-Eternal (with some legitimate cause), Cassandra Cain fans probably have the most cause to be angry at this point since their favorite isn't appearing AT ALL, nor is she even being MENTIONED, and so on. The point is, it's not just Dick. It happens to EVERYONE at one point or another.

BANNED

Not bright...

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Honestly, I think this is poor example as it had nothing to do with any author's intent to knock Dick down a peg in order to elevate another character. Altogether more likely: Higgins (and DeFalco) wanted Shiva to be a badass enemy for Dick, one that couldn't be easily dismissed, and one that the fans would accept as being his combat equal. When Tynion got around to writing her, he didn't see her this way and generally wanted to make Jason strong (generally = not at the expense of Grayson). This wasn't some conspiracy on behalf of any combination of editor in chief and/or authors to make Dick look like a chump so Jason could look good; it was merely two different writers interpretations of the fighting prowess of a rogue.

I do, however, agree that each character having their distinct direction could remove quite a bit of this unfortunate overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    It's been an annoyance of mine for several decades now that DC denigrates Dick in order to try to make more editorially-favored characters seem better in comparison to him. He was tough--but Jason has to be tougher. He was smart--but Tim has to be smarter. The list goes on. If DC Editorial (you KNOW who I mean) didn't hate Grayson, he'd be starring in his own Nightwing Family line of books by now.
    See, now here is where I have to respectfully disagree. The problem with the new comics (which I am largely over, for the record) isn't that Tim is smarter than Dick nor that Jason is "tougher" (whatever that means) than Dick. The only actual problem was that Tim got to found the Titans and Jason got to be great friends with Starfire and Arsenal. Those points, I'll concede.

As for Tim being smarter, who really cares? Every character should be the best at something. Tim being a boy genius doesn't make Dick any less bright. Jason being an out and out brawler doesn't make Dick a less proficient combatant. Where writers do actually intentionally make Dick look dumb or weak for the benefit of another character, there is a problem for sure, but in an ideal world Dick is a bright guy, but Babs should be smarter because that her thing. Similarly, Tim should be a better detective and I'd be okay with Jason being able to take more of a beating (as I am equating "tough" with something of a tank role here). This doesn't make Dick a weak idiot. He should always, however, be the funniest, most athletic, most easy going, most personable, best leader, and most well adjusted. He doesn't have to be the best at everything. That would be boring and bat-god-ish.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalethas31 View Post
    Jason has no amnesia
    But he did, and they should have kept that up for a bit.

Looking at Grayson and Robin Rises, Morrison's plot threads are once again being picked up: Kathy appeared to be using hypnos on everyone, it's possible no one remembers her even being there, she also tells Bruce not to look for her, hence why Dick was sent to infiltrate Spyral. Obviously, I shouldn't have to specify what is going on in Robin Rises.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Shepherd View Post
    But he did, and they should have kept that up for a bit.

Looking at Grayson and Robin Rises, Morrison's plot threads are once again being picked up: Kathy appeared to be using hypnos on everyone, it's possible no one remembers her even being there, she also tells Bruce not to look for her, hence why Dick was sent to infiltrate Spyral. Obviously, I shouldn't have to specify what is going on in Robin Rises.
    Jason has amnesia to fight ras, finally defeated Ras with his memories

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think dick is the balance between jason and tim

Extraordinary Member

Actually, I prefer to see the breakdown of the Robins as thus: Jason's the best "striker," with greater strength, aggression, and harder and more dangerous hits. But Nightwing's got him outpaced in agility and likely endurance, and being more experienced and more acrobatic, Dick can seize the initiative and utilize the environment better that Jason. Tim's a more naturally gifted Detective and maybe a better tactician, but Dick's experience makes him a superior Strategist (big picture thinking) and just as likely to crack a case as Tim is, but with a slightly different and more integrated approach.

It's better if Dick's written as being the most matured of the three but all three have advantages over each other and are all still growing. And I think it works great of Todd tends to over focus on one or two of his skills, leaving a blindspot, Tim tends to overextend himself due to not knowing his limits, but Dick's gotten close to Bruce's level of consistently rising to the occasion and being completely aware of the best strategy.